Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are you English or British?

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
If you recognise a country called England....THEN YOU ARE ENGLISH.
We speak English...not British. All the main teams we support are ENGLAND.
Wales, Scotland and the Irelands are countries in their own right and so are we. Never be ashamed to call yourself English.
Too many people seem to have an agenda to dissolute identity. Its ' British this and British that ' all the time...I fill in every form as English.
" If England means as much to you as England means to me "

Speak English not British, that really makes no sense. They speak English in many countries in the world, but that doesn't make them English. A language doesn't define you. Saying that though I'd rather say I was English than British.

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
Trouble is that not many of us can honestly say we really know. Most of us so called indigenous people will have genes from Norman, Gaul, Roman, Germanic or Nordic ancestors anyway.

I have Scottish heritage on one side of the family but instinctively I consider myself English. I want England to win football, rugby etc but love the Britsh landscape whether it is the Downs of Sussex, cliffs of Cornwall, mountains of Wales or Scottish Highlands.

Most of this seems to be a cultural tag as much as a racial or ethic identity - and the reality is that the world boils down to people that have generally positive qualities and those that don't. I don't really care where anyone is from just so long as they are in the former camp and hopefully they think the same.

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
I’m English when I’m back in England and a Brit when I’m living in the States, although most Yanks think I’m Australian when I open my mouth. It’s a confusing mess – go figure.

Been there too long my friend!!!

only messing! spent two yrs in Staten Island and Westchester county was always referred to as ' a Brit, Australian, South Africa or from MAINE!!!!
the later only happened once but still find it unbelievable

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Trouble is that not many of us can honestly say we really know. Most of us so called indigenous people will have genes from Norman, Gaul, Roman, Germanic or Nordic ancestors anyway.

I have Scottish heritage on one side of the family but instinctively I consider myself English. I want England to win football, rugby etc but love the Britsh landscape whether it is the Downs of Sussex, cliffs of Cornwall, mountains of Wales or Scottish Highlands.

Most of this seems to be a cultural tag as much as a racial or ethic identity - and the reality is that the world boils down to people that have generally positive qualities and those that don't. I don't really care where anyone is from just so long as they are in the former camp and hopefully they think the same.
Yeah, you can't be 'racially' English any more than you can be 'racially' a Brighton fan. We're not a single, indigenous race. I would say I'm 'politically English', even though three of my four grandparents were Scottish, Irish and French - and the English one turned out to be mainly Scottish.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
English not British and always put my nationality on forms as English, if they are picky, English British but unfortunately as mentioned dropdowns don't give you a choice most of the time.

And I still get very frustrated and irritated that the three other nations of the union are allowed to govern themselves as well as governing my country from Westminster. England doesn't have the same rights afforded to the rest of Britain/UK. So much for English democracy. And if the others have their own national anthem I want mine to... Jerusalem fits the bill for me!

Oh and I'd be all the the abandonment of the union so the three leaching countries can no longer have their economies hiked up by English taxpayers money any more.

Saves me typing the above - would love to see how the Sweaties in particular would get on.....

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
both

proud englishman,like it no better when we beat scotland at football or wales at rugby

but british too,we fought both world wars and the falklands shoulder to shoulder

something about the union jack that stirs the emotions,it's a great flag

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
both

proud englishman,like it no better when we beat scotland at football or wales at rugby

but british too,we fought both world wars and the falklands shoulder to shoulder

something about the union jack that stirs the emotions,it's a great flag

We fought wars shoulder to shoulder with the Aussies, Canadians, South Africans, Polish, French, Americans and a whole host of other allies, even up until this day... don't call ourselves by any of their countries though.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
We fought wars shoulder to shoulder with the Aussies, Canadians, South Africans, Polish, French, Americans and a whole host of other allies, even up until this day... don't call ourselves by any of their countries though.

ok,i should of been more precise,there are welsh,scottish and irish regiments in the british army

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
100% English...Until a few years ago English and very very proud to be so...Not so much of the proud these days, when I look around and walk the streets.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton

pretty much this. I've got Irish, Scottish and English roots, so guess I'm British. Fiercely partisan for England in football and sport in general sport though. Used follow England and go to all the games but the pampered prima donas are leavin me cold now. Feel a far bigger connection to the albion, for whatever reason. Guess I'm from Brighton, England, Britain, Europe, Earth :guitar: :drink: :albion2:

Joey Deacon's Disco Suit

It's a THUG life
Apr 19, 2010
Yeah, you can't be 'racially' English any more than you can be 'racially' a Brighton fan. We're not a single, indigenous race.

We may not be an indigenous (but who really is?) nor are we a single race but to all intents and purposes there is an English race. It's overwhelmingly Anglo-Saxon and it is clearly defined as an "Englishman" rather than "Welsh" or whatever.

Racially, I'm English/Anglo-Saxon. It doesn't make me any better or worse than any other race particularly but English/Anglo-Saxon, I am*

*Obviously I'm braver than the French but then again who isn't?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Both. Born in England, which is part of Britain. :shrug:

Joey Deacon's Disco Suit

It's a THUG life
Apr 19, 2010
100% English...Until a few years ago English and very very proud to be so...Not so much of the proud these days, when I look around and walk the streets.

Hold your head high, Sir. As they say - form is temporary, class is permanent.

We've a lot to be proud of as Englishmen and I mean that in no jingoistic sense. In the arts, in science, In sport. God damn it, we're a nation that thinks that no problem is so big that it can't be made better by a nice hot cup of tea. That's something to be truly proud of.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Hold your head high, Sir. As they say - form is temporary, class is permanent.

We've a lot to be proud of as Englishmen and I mean that in no jingoistic sense. In the arts, in science, In sport. God damn it, we're a nation that thinks that no problem is so big that it can't be made better by a nice hot cup of tea. That's something to be truly proud of.

That's the problem mate, there is not much class around atm..and they drag the rest of us down.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here