NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Goodbye to my England, so long my old friend
Your days are numbered, being brought to an end
To be Scottish, Irish or Welsh that's fine
But don't say your English, that's way out of line.

The French and the Germans may call themselves such
Also Norwegians, the Swedes and the Dutch
You can say your are Russian or maybe a Dane
But don't say you're English not ever again.

At Broadcasting House the word is taboo
In Brussels its scrapped, in our parliament too
Even schools are affected, staff do as they're told
They must not teach children about England of old.

Writers like Shakespeare, Milton and Shaw
The pupils do not learn of them anymore
How about Agincourt, Hastings, Arnhem or Mons
When England lost lots of her very brave sons.

We are not Europeans, for how can we be?
Europe is miles away over the sea
We're the English from England, let's all be proud
Stand up and be counted - Shout it out loud.

Let's tell our Government and Brussels too
We're proud of our heritage, the Red, White and Blue
Fly the flag of Saint George or the Union Jack
And let the world know - we want ENGLAND BACK !!!

I'm English through & through and that woeful attempt at a poem is misguided, wrong and just plain pants!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Flawed too, as the Union Jack (or Union Flag) is the flag of the United Kingdom not England.

It's also nonsense to say that Shakespeare's not taught any more - in fact, the debate is whether too much attention is paid to Shakespeare and not enough about other writers.

And a large part of the army at Agincourt were the Welsh archers so it's a bit misleading to present that as an English venture (In Henry V Shakespeare represents it as an all-British affair by including the characters Fluellen and the Scottish and Irish captains). It really is a truly awful poem,

As for the question: I'm British - I'm half English, half Welsh so to call myself English would be wrong. How could I be English and cheer on the Welsh at rugby?

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
well

my grandparents on my mums side were both welsh and on my dads side were northern irish protestants( and bigotted at that!!)

but my mum and dad were both born in yorkshire as was I so that makes me firstly a Yorkshireman, secondly English, thirdly British.

but for a passport there is no such race as English

The concept of the "Nation State" seems to me to be the cause of so much strife in the world that it is worth encouraging its demise.

One thing that England has going for it is that it ISN'T a nation state. I'm happy with that.

Pbseagull

Sep 28, 2011
Eastbourne
I consider myself....
Sussex.... 1st
English.....2nd
British..... 3rd
European... NEVER!

Chamberpot

Jan 5, 2010
Always English, I don't think I've been to another country and said I'm from Britain, I always say England.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
My passport says I'm British, so there you go I guess. :shrug:

Personally, the only place I care about being from is Sussex.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
English, sadly it is not recognised. Years back went to France on a day ticket and was not allowed in unless the nationality was changed from English to British.

If the Welsh, Scots and Irish can be what they are why can't we be English and celebrate St George's Day with a Bank Holiday.

Because they has never been any great demand to do so and his complete non connection with the country has made St' George's Day a bit problematic. It's only become a "topic" recently with devolution and I don't recall from my childhood anything more than a passing reference to him.

We've also mucked it up a bit by throwing in the dragon nonsense. The Church of England (who don't go large on saints anyway) have historically had a bit of a problem support a story that is straight out a Harry Potter novel.

Back to the question, definitely English (never a Brit) and I'm not concerned what's written on my passport.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Because they has never been any great demand to do so and his complete non connection with the country has made St' George's Day a bit problematic. It's only become a "topic" recently with devolution and I don't recall from my childhood anything more than a passing reference to him.

We've also mucked it up a bit by throwing in the dragon nonsense. The Church of England (who don't go large on saints anyway) have historically had a bit of a problem support a story that is straight out a Harry Potter novel.

Back to the question, definitely English (never a Brit) and I'm not concerned what's written on my passport.

St George's Day celebrations / Holiday would be great for the country and communities bringing people together as one and as English. We are happy to raise a glass on Paddy's Day so why not St George's Day in England and be proud to wear your rose in England.

I know the story may be a tad Harry Potter but it's all part of our Medival history and what makes us English (Cue stories that St George was Turkish).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Aye. I stopped regarding myself as British years ago.

Out of interest why the change? This kind of happened with football as well. When I started watching the Albion in '77 folk tended to carry the Union flag with Brighton daubed across the middle. Now it tends to be the St George Cross.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
English !!!!!
No such straightforward nationality as British , how can you say your nationality British when it can mean from either Scotland, Wales, England or even N.Ireland it gives you no single identity, we don't call ourselves UKish do we ???

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Goodbye to my England, so long my old friend
Your days are numbered, being brought to an end
To be Scottish, Irish or Welsh that's fine
But don't say your English, that's way out of line.

The French and the Germans may call themselves such
Also Norwegians, the Swedes and the Dutch
You can say your are Russian or maybe a Dane
But don't say you're English not ever again.

At Broadcasting House the word is taboo
In Brussels its scrapped, in our parliament too
Even schools are affected, staff do as they're told
They must not teach children about England of old.

Writers like Shakespeare, Milton and Shaw
The pupils do not learn of them anymore
How about Agincourt, Hastings, Arnhem or Mons
When England lost lots of her very brave sons.

We are not Europeans, for how can we be?
Europe is miles away over the sea
We're the English from England, let's all be proud
Stand up and be counted - Shout it out loud.

Let's tell our Government and Brussels too
We're proud of our heritage, the Red, White and Blue
Fly the flag of Saint George or the Union Jack
And let the world know - we want ENGLAND BACK !!!

f*** me. It's times like these I am actually grateful for Atilla.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here