Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are you English or British?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
English or British? Depends on the options available in the dropdown menu.

It normally says 'United Kingdom' right at the bloody bottom.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

British. I'm half Welsh, but I think even if I wasn't I'd still consider myself British - we are clearly different from the French or other European nation, in terms of language and culture, but what's the difference between someone living in the South East of England and Scotland, apart from an accent (which could equally apply between someone living in the South West and the North East of England)? I feel equally (if not more) isolated amongst chavy English people as I would amongst a group of Scots.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Out of interest why the change? This kind of happened with football as well. When I started watching the Albion in '77 folk tended to carry the Union flag with Brighton daubed across the middle. Now it tends to be the St George Cross.

Because I don't care about the Union anymore and the years of anti-Englishness that the Scots and Welsh have shown have had a big effect.

Landgull

Oct 30, 2009
English, I'm proud to have been a serviceman for my Queen and Country (ENGLAND).
EU - NEVER.
Commonwealth OK.

Insel affe

HellBilly
Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I consider myself English and thought that the term British was made up to encompass the subjects of English rule at any given time past or present. I could be wrong correct me.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I consider myself English and thought that the term British was made up to encompass the subjects of English rule at any given time past or present. I could be wrong correct me.

I think British has two meanings. Politically, it's anyone from the UK, geographically it's anyone from the British isles (which, unlike the UK, would include the republic of ireland - but people from Eire don't take too kindly to the geographical term).

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I`m European first, then British.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
British. I'm half Welsh, but I think even if I wasn't I'd still consider myself British - we are clearly different from the French or other European nation, in terms of language and culture, but what's the difference between someone living in the South East of England and Scotland, apart from an accent (which could equally apply between someone living in the South West and the North East of England)? I feel equally (if not more) isolated amongst chavy English people as I would amongst a group of Scots.

I would disagree. We have similarities with some Euro countries.

I would disagree. We have similarities with some Euro countries.

Oh I would agree that we have some similarities, however if nothing else the different native language sets us apart from our European brethren. I'd suggest that we share a lot more in common with other Brits than the vast majority of Europeans, but having said that I wouldn't have a problem with being described as European either. To be honest I don't really understand the need for a collective identity of any sort, certainly not one based on almost randomly arrived-at national borders.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
It's not where your from, it's where your at.

I have always thought of myself as English, but I am not really sure what is means any more. Some things about being English make me so proud but some make me so ashamed. I am not sure why but the flag waving nationalism doesn't sit well with me I don't really understand it.

I am me, that'll do.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here