Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are you English or British?

Having researched my family tree back to 29 of my 32 great great great grandparents, I find that I am 56 per cent English, 25 per cent Irish and 19 per cent Scottish.

The Scots are all from a tiny area, just north of the border. The Irish are all from a tiny area of Counties Cavan, Leitrim and Sligo. But the English are well spread - the West Midlands, Leicestershire, Cumberland, North Yorkshire and Northumberland/Durham. My kids have a mass of Cornish ancestry, that I don't share with them. Roz is part Irish, part Welsh, part English and part Scottish - and has a long Australian heritage, going back to a Scottish ancestor who sailed his whaling ship all the way to New South Wales in the 1830s and had children who married Irish immigrants in Victoria. I've lived in Sussex for most of my life, but does that give me a Sussex heritage?

The outcome is that we can all pick and choose what we want to make of ourselves. To be honest, I'm quite happy with that.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Yeah, I know but ethnologists have had Anglo-Saxon as a homogenous group for ages. And are Angles and Saxons that much different? Saxony and Schleswig-Holstein are bang smack next to each other after all. We're North Germans.
Are you saying you traced your family tree back 1600 years? Or are you guessing like the rest of us? :cheers: :albion2:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My wife is half Scouse and half German. Stan Boardman was more of a personal conundrum than a comedian to her.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
having lived in Wales for nearly 9 years
most definitely
ENGLISH

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm English and British. Which I say would depend on the nationality of who I was talking to.

The country I live in is the UK (because England isn't a country).

Ci Sgoti

Feb 22, 2011
Its all nonsense.

We all hanker for a bit of historical connection.

Are we Breton, Britton or frogs legs? Its all a bit daft.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here