Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are you English or British?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It's not where your from, it's where your at.

I have always thought of myself as English, but I am not really sure what is means any more. Some things about being English make me so proud but some make me so ashamed. I am not sure why but the flag waving nationalism doesn't sit well with me I don't really understand it.

I am me, that'll do.
I know where you're coming from. As a relative newcomer to nationalism there are things about 'being English', or more accurately other people's concept of 'being English' that I don't like. However I think you've just got to take the rough with the smooth, we're a broad church that embraces a vast number of different views, some of which are contradictory.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
I was 21 years when I wrote this song, I'm 47 now but I won't be for long...... I consider myself English but I now call Australia home.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I know where you're coming from. As a relative newcomer to nationalism there are things about 'being English', or more accurately other people's concept of 'being English' that I don't like. However I think you've just got to take the rough with the smooth, we're a broad church that embraces a vast number of different views, some of which are contradictory.

Yes i think you make a fair point. It is interesting having lived in Australia for 9 years and spoken to many people about their perception of Englishness, most of them are different from each other and from mine. But that is why I don't really pay much heed to itm it doesn't really mean anything.

Australia (especially the media) talk about Austalian qualities and unAustralian qualities (this makes me cringe) Often discussing what the Aussie way of life is all about. To me the things they talk about are fairly universal, looking after each other, having a laugh, your family and your mates.

I just wonder if we would be better off looking at the similarities between cultures and countries rather than highlight a uniqueness that doesn't really exist. As I grow older I see more similarities between different people that differences.

Pbseagull

Sep 28, 2011
Eastbourne

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I consider myself English but am happy with 'officially' being British. Quite frankly I'm not bothered what label is slapped on me, I do not regard my nationality my defining feature. I am simply myself.

You only have to look at the vast range of opinions and outlooks on this board to see that we are not a homogenous bunch, for me it is not that important.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
English not British and always put my nationality on forms as English, if they are picky, English British but unfortunately as mentioned dropdowns don't give you a choice most of the time.

And I still get very frustrated and irritated that the three other nations of the union are allowed to govern themselves as well as governing my country from Westminster. England doesn't have the same rights afforded to the rest of Britain/UK. So much for English democracy. And if the others have their own national anthem I want mine to... Jerusalem fits the bill for me!

Oh and I'd be all the the abandonment of the union so the three leaching countries can no longer have their economies hiked up by English taxpayers money any more.

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
English not British and always put my nationality on forms as English, if they are picky, English British but unfortunately as mentioned dropdowns don't give you a choice most of the time.

And I still get very frustrated and irritated that the three other nations of the union are allowed to govern themselves as well as governing my country from Westminster. England doesn't have the same rights afforded to the rest of Britain/UK. So much for English democracy. And if the others have their own national anthem I want mine to... Jerusalem fits the bill for me!

Oh and I'd be all the the abandonment of the union so the three leaching countries can no longer have their economies hiked up by English taxpayers money any more.

Very much THIS. Although not sure about Jerusalem as an anthem as it's not in England. (Yes, I know the words are all about our green and pleasant land and stuff). Would prefer The Jam's 'English Rose' or, if being picky and need the name of a place in England, would suggest 'Plaistow Patricia'!!

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
Americans wind me up when they refer to the English at the 'Brits'. Not because I mind being branded British, but because they're too f***ing stupid to know the difference.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
I am English but not the "English" of northern towns like Oldham and Burnley! they are so far from the way I feel about being English. I welcome all people to this country as being English is being tolarant, The EDL have taken away my pride in being English, I am now just from the "home counties" but live in Gods own countys Sussex/Kent and Surrey.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
English , only British when there is no other option.

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
English and very very proud of it.
and thats the multicultural, integrated society that England (and Britain) does much better than most other countries, dispite the efforts of the EDL and their counterparts on all sides of the religous/cultural spectrum.

Britain does me fine too. Home will always be Sussex, but very happy where I am these days, and not that fussed about coming back!

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I’m English when I’m back in England and a Brit when I’m living in the States, although most Yanks think I’m Australian when I open my mouth. It’s a confusing mess – go figure.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here