• Total voters

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Just reading this:

Some Brighton fan reckons theymight be buying Simon Cox

They think we are "already celebrating promotion"

Who does?

Yes, we have a good team.

But we have no proper left winger, no back-up left back, questionable goalkeepers, no cover for Bennett, no guarantee that we've replaced Crofts (although hopefully Sparrow will tick that box) and a strikeforce which has probably no more than 25 goals in it.

Who SERIOUSLY thinks we're going up?

Yes, we have a chance of play-offs, but are we better than Saints, Huddersfield, Sheff Weds and co? Nope.

Just wondered if this is a case of me being pessimistic (and let's face it, even if i'm being realistic I'm going to take a caning from the goons for starting this anyway) or if the Swindon fan is talking out of his arse and we're not actually expecting that much from this season.

Smithy

Apr 26, 2009
Hove
Neither.

We have a chance, most likely through the play-offs, so the answer is possibly.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
I think with our CURRENT squad we'll be just outside the playoffs.

If we get in a decent left winger (and, but less importantly, another forward), we'll be in the playoffs. But I wouldn't have high hopes of winning.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
I think we'll finish about 10th this season after flirting with the play offs, we just don't have the strength in depth at the moment. However we are building a good team that will only get better with more additions over the next year.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Yes. who says no at this stage? looks like a decent side primed to play a decent game. there are gaps and no one is saying we are going to walk it, even with LuaLua and the likes of Simon Cox. but theres good reason to be realistically hopful we can go up.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
Just reading this:

Who does?

But we have no proper left winger, no back-up left back, questionable goalkeepers, no cover for Bennett, no guarantee that we've replaced Crofts (although hopefully Sparrow will tick that box) and a strikeforce which has probably no more than 25 goals in it.

Yes, we have a chance of play-offs, but are we better than Saints, Huddersfield, Sheff Weds and co? Nope.

Just wondered if this is a case of me being pessimistic (and let's face it, even if i'm being realistic I'm going to take a caning from the goons for starting this anyway) or if the Swindon fan is talking out of his arse and we're not actually expecting that much from this season.

check out 'Dave's' avatar on that board. ho ho ho

astill86

Nov 3, 2009
Haywards Heath
With the squad as it currently stands I feel we have an outside chance of a playoff spot, but more likely mid table. With hopefully a couple of key signings up front and on the left hand side of midfield this chances will increase.

No way is it certain that we will go up let alone make the playoffs. So to answer the original post no you're not being pessimistic, more realistic in my view anyway.

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton
For me the reason is based entirely on Gus Poyet. I truely believe we have the best manager in the division and the most ambitious manager. There's no doubt that this year is vital for him to get to where he wants to be and make a name for himself and I'm confident he'll do it.

In terms of the squad, I feel we are in a good position but slightly short.

Ideally we are a goalkeeper, a left midfielder and a striker away from a promotion winning squad.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
3 more players needed for promotion!

Striker being the first!
:glare:

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Think we can get play offs and then its a knock out competition so who knows. Murray can and will be our superstar. We will pass some teams of the park just hope we don't do a Arsenal and forget to put the ball in the back of the net.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I voted no, but nothing is a certainty in football. Even fancied teams get injuries and suspensions. Much depends on timing and luck.
There's still another 26 days of the transfer window open. Elliott Bennett didn't arrive until the last week of August last season.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Foundations are great for promotion in our first season at Falmer.

As it stands I can't see how a team without a left winger and lack of firepower can do it.

Be nice to be in the mix though

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I voted no, but nothing is a certainty in football. Even fancied teams get injuries and suspensions. Much depends on timing and luck.
There's still another 26 days of the transfer window open. Elliott Bennett didn't arrive until the last week of August last season.

Just a quick note to let you know I've taken a screenshot of your signature to bounce to you at Xmas - just in case you should, um, y'know. decide to change it for any reason before then... :xmas:

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Just reading this:

Who does?

I agree about the Swindon comment. I saw it and thought the guy doesn't know what he is talking about as I think most fans are slightly pessimistic.

We definitely have a chance of the play offs as I think outside of the three teams that you mention and possibly Peterborough, there is not a great deal of quality in this league. I think we will come between 5th and 10th but within that depends on a number of factors including how many goals our strikers get.

The thing that makes me think we are capable of a play off place is that in the second half of last season we came fifth in the table and, in my view, we have strengthened the team since then.

In terms of your other comments, I believe we will be okay with the keeper situation. Brezovan impressed me last year and Poke sounds like he was impressive at Torquay so I am sure he will do well for us even with a shaky pre season. I do worry about depth in defence but Kishishev can cover if necessary. Gus is also looking to bring in a back up left back apparently. I am confident Sparrow will cover the loss of Crofts and maybe even be better. As for the wing and forward situation, I remain optimistic we will get new players in, if not by Saturday then by the end of August.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here