Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are we going up?

Are we going up?

• Total voters

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Refreshingly large vote so far for the 'Are we f*** going up' realists :clap:

Has it not occured to you that the poll is wrong though? If the question was "Can we go up" then most people would say yes. Nobody can say with certainty we will go up so most are not.

I really don't understand why some people seem to take so much pleasure at being so negative before the season has started.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
I agree about the Swindon comment. I saw it and thought the guy doesn't know what he is talking about as I think most fans are slightly pessimistic.

We definitely have a chance of the play offs as I think outside of the three teams that you mention and possibly Peterborough, there is not a great deal of quality in this league. I think we will come between 5th and 10th but within that depends on a number of factors including how many goals our strikers get.

The thing that makes me think we are capable of a play off place is that in the second half of last season we came fifth in the table and, in my view, we have strengthened the team since then.

In terms of your other comments, I believe we will be okay with the keeper situation. Brezovan impressed me last year and Poke sounds like he was impressive at Torquay so I am sure he will do well for us even with a shaky pre season. I do worry about depth in defence but Kishishev can cover if necessary. Gus is also looking to bring in a back up left back apparently. I am confident Sparrow will cover the loss of Crofts and maybe even be better. As for the wing and forward situation, I remain optimistic we will get new players in, if not by Saturday then by the end of August.

Summed it up for me :thumbsup:

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
No chance with this squad, but 2 good additions and we are there, unless theres a MASSIVE injury crisis.

Very rarely does a club go from relegation fodder to promotion candidates the following season. For the best part of a season & a half we were struggling.
Hopefully Gus has stopped the halt & we can consolidate.
Unfortunately, I cannot see us being any where near the top 6 all season.
Defence appears ok, midfield good, however our strike force is one of a bottom 6 side.
Mid table mediocrity is beckoning!

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Has it not occured to you that the poll is wrong though? If the question was "Can we go up" then most people would say yes. Nobody can say with certainty we will go up so most are not.

I really don't understand why some people seem to take so much pleasure at being so negative before the season has started.

I just wanted to see opinion. And the poll is "right" in that sense, as it shows opinion.

A team of:

Me
The Large One, Hove Born & Bred, Trigger, Mendoza
BHAExpress, The Complete Badger, 1066, BHADebenhams
LeonKnight, Hans Kraay Fan Club

Managed by Ernest

COULD go up. It wouldn't, but it could. And therefore it would be a pointless poll, as the votes would be 100% for yes.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Very rarely does a club go from relegation fodder to promotion candidates the following season. For the best part of a season & a half we were struggling.
Hopefully Gus has stopped the halt & we can consolidate.
Unfortunately, I cannot see us being any where near the top 6 all season.
Defence appears ok, midfield good, however our strike force is one of a bottom 6 side.
Mid table mediocrity is beckoning!

But we have done that already. We got 21 points in the first half of last season and 38 in the second half. Gus has already performed that turnaround.

I agree we need new forwards but there is no way that Murray and Barnes are a bottom 6 forward line. We were top six in the second half of last season and they were the only strikers we had for much of that (Forster barely played after February).

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
As our squad is now, we have no chance of coming above 9th or 10th. Add in Lua Lua and a quality striker and I think we could very realistically come in the top 4 or 5, and even go up automatically. A top striker is absolutely crucial.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I just wanted to see opinion. And the poll is "right" in that sense, as it shows opinion.

A team of:

Me
The Large One, Hove Born & Bred, Trigger, Mendoza
BHAExpress, The Complete Badger, 1066, BHADebenhams
LeonKnight, Hans Kraay Fan Club

Managed by Ernest

COULD go up. It wouldn't, but it could. And therefore it would be a pointless poll, as the votes would be 100% for yes.

But how many teams can say they will go up in August before the season starts. As a way of gauging the mood it is pointless. Some people on here are saying there is no way we will go up but I think a lot aren't that hardline and think we have a chance, as you seem to from your first post, without thinking we will definitely be top six. I would say my view is cautious optimism which does not fit either box.

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
Yes we are going up this season. Simple. Not being over optimistic just believing in Gus & the team with faith in our chairman & belief this is a new dawn not a false one.

But we have done that already. We got 21 points in the first half of last season and 38 in the second half. Gus has already performed that turnaround.

I agree we need new forwards but there is no way that Murray and Barnes are a bottom 6 forward line. We were top six in the second half of last season and they were the only strikers we had for much of that (Forster barely played after February).

Fair point but if either suspended, injured or knackered & Barnes is very young, we have no back up. I bet our goal tally until we get someone in on loan/buy will be within the bottom 6/8 in the league.
Hopefully a number of 1-0 wins will do.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location

Over the course of a whole season, I really don't think Barnes is any better than back-up for a team with realistic play off ambitions. He wouldn't get a sniff of a game at any of the teams who came in last year's top 6.

Ability-wise, Murray is good enough for some Championship sides, but he is guaranteed to act like a total spastic once every 6 or 7 games, and I think a top League One side would lose patience with his antics VERY quickly.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
There is no possible way that we will go up, even via the playoffs without signing a v good striker and and left winger...and now.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Fair point but if either suspended, injured or knackered & Barnes is very young, we have no back up. I bet our goal tally until we get someone in on loan/buy will be within the bottom 6/8 in the league.
Hopefully a number of 1-0 wins will do.

I think Gus' 4-5-1 is geared up for keeping things tight at the back and getting the old goal at the other end.

I agree in that I don't think we'll be spanking teams 3, 4 or 5-0 very often, but think we will win a lot by a single goal if we play the current system.

Our goals for total will be pretty mediocre, but our goals against is going to be one of the best in the League in my opinion

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here