Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are Religious People Nutters?

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
my point is....that extreme behaviour is attached to any organisation but it is a price we pay for generally keeping six billion or so people ticking over on a day to day basis

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
The Norwegians must be must be shitting themselves.

They should be, considering Iran is on the verge of going Nuclear and it was the Norwegians who sold the intelligence to Israel for them to have the bomb....

the Mullahs do not forget in a hurry

They should be, considering Iran is on the verge of going Nuclear and it was the Norwegians who sold the intelligence to Israel for them to have the bomb....

the Mullahs do not forget in a hurry

Are you on drugs today?

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
I'll give you six good reasons to believe in God:

bodpostersok9.jpg

If it wasn't for religion inspiring people to sign up to the Trappist monastic order, we might not have any of these. :drink:

Ahem - we've HAD this one before!

The shady areas where religion has been brought into the whole Iraq affair, were mostly from Bush. I don't recall Blair being as astoundingly thick as GW to claim it was a "crusade".
I believe, that the increased threat of terrorism and religion-fuelled (aka manipulated, which Bush actually played into their hands by blubbering about a "crusade") 'racism' that threatened us and had already hit the USA and other countries, was the reason for backing up America's war - one that I more suspect of being started for economic reasons than religious ones.
Saddam actually enforced FREEDOM of religion and race in Iraq - a sensitive balance that the Kurds had threatened, and Iran refuted under Ayatollah.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
My cousin is a religious nutter. She had 400 people at her shit wedding and the service lasted about 2 hours while they did all that evangalist shit. And the "wedding breakfast" was dry! I f***ing ask you.

And now they've just pulled their first kid out of school in order to make sure he gets a "good Christian upbringing". FOR FUCKS SAKE! :angry:

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
My cousin is a religious nutter. She had 400 people at her shit wedding and the service lasted about 2 hours while they did all that evangalist shit. And the "wedding breakfast" was dry! I f***ing ask you.

And now they've just pulled their first kid out of school in order to make sure he gets a "good Christian upbringing". FOR FUCKS SAKE! :angry:

maybe it was only shit for you though ?

there may have been many people there that enjoyed it ? not everyone has to get drunk to enjoy themselves young man !!!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Religious EXTREMISTS are nutters yes.

Nail, head, hit on. As far as I'm concerned you can worship who or what you like as long as it's legal in the country you reside in and it's not in my face.

As far as being a nutter I would say misguided and indoctrinated is more like it. My other half is a pretty devout Catholic but normally quite sane but you only have to see what a bad influence the Catholic Church is there to see that. They are hugely overpopulated (like Brazil and a lot of other countries) because the Priests, who can't have sex, say that they must not use contraception and most seem to accept that even though it's very hard to find a job if you're over 25 or prepared to work a long way from your country.

As for Islam ....... Don't get me started !

we have two interesting sets of neighbours:

1. The Sunday "door knockers" with their rag, dragging their kids around as they aim for more converts

2. A religious sect that has a service in the front room of their house - in some respects this is akin to the original christians.

However, with intense religion immersed around them, how can the children be developing a balanced view of life, society and even religion. At a minimum it must be indirect indoctrination?

Peronally IMH, if Blair told the UK population that we were going into Iraq because God told him so I think he would have got a resounding response of NO.

And bye bye Labour Party at the next election.

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
So is there a God or not Oh great one ?

no-one can be certain. there isn't enough proof either way. i would never say i'm CERTAIN there is no god, because there might well be. but i would say there PROBABLY isn't. if there is a god, there's no way it's the christian one. the bible is full of far too many contradictions for it to be a reliable account of a single deity.

Haven't you just contradicted yourself there?

no. the meaning i mentioned was a subjective meaning, different for every person. the christian 'meaning' is objective, as defined by god.

I also see no point in insulting people who do believe in religion, because it is a very cheap shot.

absolutely not. it is essential that religion is satirised, questioned and mocked. because religion is a choice (no-one is born christian, it must be subject to this treatment. if they are right, it will stand up to it.

right......

so, oh wise one.....

the society you live in orginally based its morals on the church.....so you live by morals and laws set down from Christianty. This is not subject - it is fact.

if you can't grasp this very, very basic thing..... I pity you back (x100000000000000)

the society i live in (at least in a 'moral' sense) is identical to most human communities. by your argument, ALL people who do not believe in your christian god, are IMMORAL. this cannot be true. there are communities that have been untouched by christain influence that still exhibit basic understanding of justice and fairness. christian teaching is an arbitrary set of rules that may have codified what was instilled, but by no means invented it. if you think morals were 'invented' 2007 years ago, you are deluded.

and i would prefer 'oh wise one' to be capitalised.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
However, with intense religion immersed around them, how can the children be developing a balanced view of life, society and even religion. At a minimum it must be indirect indoctrination?

Is raising a child ever not indoctrination of some sort? Mine have a sort of liberal and what I would like to think is open-minded (except in terms of the Albion) kind of indoctrination. But it's indoctrination all the same.

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
Disagree here, TiD. There's quite clearly for SOME people a very clear meaning to life. Some people genuinely feel driven to do something as their destiny.

The vast majority of us blunder through life, picking up moral baggage and discarding some , acquiring others as we get older and reflect more on our experiences but once again SOME people have a Paulian conversion, a true epiphany and give up one way of life for another. Often it's religion that drives them to change and they can find what most people would accept as good morals by following the teachings of the Koran, Bible, Talmud..whatever.

Don't diss it, just because it's not your bag. I'd much rather have a reformed wrong 'un than a perpetual recidivist as a neighbour even if I thought that the book he got his moral code from was a fairy story.

i'll agree with you up to a point here, buz. sure, i too would rather have a neighbour who does 'good' acts, even if i disagree with the authority from which she gets the moral instruction to do so. but i would much rather that, anyone who does good, does so out of a natural compassion (albeit the result of societal 'nurture'), than because they believe they'll be rewarded in the next life. it seems to devalue the act. as a moral code, the bible should only really be used to 'teach' those who have had so human interaction past a certain age.

what if those morals are used by millions of peope to live in an organised, law abiding way ? Any large scale ideal i.e communism, buddhism etc have parts to them to which the more extreme factions of a society attach themselves.

It seems to me that for all of the people that slate religion, there has ,as yet, been no better way found of organising a mass. Death within such a huge world population is to be expected and without playing down the horror of the WTC - what kind of catastrophes would there be without religion ?

why do you want to 'control' the masses? individual freedom (indeed, to practice any religion) is more important. and even if you can be sure that the masses need controlling, to do so by a system that rejects reason, discovery, enlightenment and empiricism is very dangerous indeed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here