Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are Religious People Nutters?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
firstly, there is no meaning to life. this is a hard concept to accept, because it would be much nicer for us all to have a purpose. this is one of the reasons man invented god. god gives us purpose. the meaning to life is to enjoy yourself, make friends, fall in love, have children, etc. if you cannot derive meaning from this, i pity you.

my morals are derived mostly from the 'nurture' i have been exposed to. they are instilled in me by my friends, my family, the society in which i live. it can be argued that some are inherent, or intuitive. so some morals, i may have been born with. i certainly do not know how to be 'good' by reading it in a book. and if this is your motive for altruism, it denigrates your actions.

So is there a God or not Oh great one ?

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
what makes you think I do !!!! :lol:

LC stated that 'God does not exist' - my question was, how is he 100% sure ?

:lol: I'm well confused now!

I can quite happily say that God doesnt exist. To me, the Bible is one big fairy story, created by monarchs to make people "behave". I cannot understand that there is something "great and good" if there is so much suffering, even the most religious people i have seen while on placement suffer the hugest, most horrible illnesses, and is there some holy spirit that will make them good again? Of course there isnt.

Even 50 years ago, there was a need for religion, to explain the things that dont make sense in life, but now, there has been such a breakthrough in scienctific research, that most things can be explained, and we dont need religion to explain everything.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I dont believe in God but when bad things are happening close to me I pray as hard as the next atheist.

I dont believe in God but when bad things are happening close to me I pray as hard as the next atheist.

Verbal: Keaton always said, "I don't believe in God, but I'm afraid of him." Well I believe in God, and the only thing that scares me is Keyser Soze.

Dave the OAP

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Its all about faith.....faith does not rely on proof, it relies on a belief that something is there and it is a comfort to people who are at their darkest ebb.

When you have lost a parent/friend/child it is a very difficult concept to think that you will never see that person again, and unless you have gone through that experience, it is something that you cannot explain or rationalise.

In my 49 years, i have lost alll my grandparents and my father...will if religion is to be beleived I see them again? I honestly do not know....however clever the scientists are they cant answer that question either. I would hope I will, but that is probably just what it is, hope.......I used to be a believer in strict Christianinty, body and blood stuff, especially when Dad died, but I have become too much of a cinic now.

Do I beleive in a God, Yes probably, however I would not kill anyone for not believing in my particular way of finding God, as so many people since the Roman Times have done.

I also see no point in insulting people who do believe in religion, because it is a very cheap shot.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
What makes you think that "he" does?

Here he is:

bodpostersho2.jpg

Oh, you said God. My mistake, carry on... :dunce:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Got to agree with that. People are free to believe what they like, but should someone who makes decisions on such an illogical basis really be allowed to run a country?

Exactly. Blair is now showing more and more of his Christian Fundamentalist beliefs. Something he really should have fessed up to when he was up for election.

I'm getting truely worried about all the double standards here.

It seems it's really bad that, say, the Iranians, have a Muslim Fundamentalist President in charge with 'mad mullahs' wielding power in their assemblies, but somehow it's ok for a Christian nutter to have been in charge of the UK, backed up by Bishops in the House of Lords.

It's how you spin it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
what makes you so very sure that a God does not exist ?

first of all, you have to define what one means as "god". many different people have different ideas of this. The fire and brimstone god of the old testment certainly doesnt exist, and if it did it is not somthing to worship. even in relgious circles it is acknowledged that genesis is a load of tosh, and once you start editting out chapters you might as well dismiss the lot.

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
firstly, there is no meaning to life. this is a hard concept to accept, because it would be much nicer for us all to have a purpose. this is one of the reasons man invented god. god gives us purpose. the meaning to life is to enjoy yourself, make friends, fall in love, have children, etc. if you cannot derive meaning from this, i pity you.

my morals are derived mostly from the 'nurture' i have been exposed to. they are instilled in me by my friends, my family, the society in which i live. it can be argued that some are inherent, or intuitive. so some morals, i may have been born with. i certainly do not know how to be 'good' by reading it in a book. and if this is your motive for altruism, it denigrates your actions.

right......

so, oh wise one.....

the society you live in orginally based its morals on the church.....so you live by morals and laws set down from Christianty. This is not subject - it is fact.

if you can't grasp this very, very basic thing..... I pity you back (x100000000000000)

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
the society you live in orginally based its morals on the church.....so you live by morals and laws set down from Christianty. This is not subject - it is fact.

a fallacy, people didnt murder or steal from each other freely before the advent of the ten commandments, yet a few people still do so today inspite of them. and the core morals are common across all people, tribes and religions, from us westerners to amazon tribsmen. chistian/religious morals follow an innate human instinct, not the other way round.

it seems that those that claim moral guidence from the bible (and other abrahamic (sic?)) haven't read it, or been selective about what counts.

Last edited:

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
a fallacy, people didnt murder or steal from each other freely before the advent of the ten commandments, yet a few people still do so today inspite of them. and the core morals are common across all people, tribes and religions, from us westerners to amazon tribsmen. chistian/religious morals follow an innate human instinct, not the other way round.

A fallacy...... from prehistoric times, tribes would murder, rape, steal from each other. Their basic instinct was to survive. Then, when laws, from whatever religion were put in place, it gave people a standard by which they should live and conduct themseleves. How can you even begin to think that human instinct was moralistic ? It just wasn't, it was purely law of the jungle

Sorry all, just had to go away to do some work.

God doesn't exist. Full stop.

Obviously, there is loads of books on the subject and the internet I can source to justify such a position, like wise, there are a few documents that state the opposite.

But my morals, my life, my views, my aspirations and how I conduct myself are based on mine - very high moral standards. Obviously I have faults and weaknesses, but I, Ms LC and my friends handle these.

To believe in todays society, with our knowledge of the world, earth, the universe, that a God existed despite contrary evidence stuns me, that Blair, a PM, a Barrister, talks to himself and makes key decisions after a consulation, scares me.

Thats why you have Civil Servants - Blair. You sent our boys to their death after a five minute chat with a "God", during the chat, did God, foresee what would happen, that we did not have a Plan to manage the Country after the war, that religious factions would fight each other, that our so called friends would attack us.

That over a thousand US and 100 UK troops, would die in a place that doesn't want them and where we may have to have a presence until the Ice Age returns.

Next time Blair, speak to some of your advisors who have experience of such matters and don't get involved in US geo- politics and if you do, make sure you have plans to get out quickly.

LC

Last edited:

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
Sorry all, just had to go away to do some work.

God doesn't exist. Full stop.

Obviously, there is loads of books on the subject and the internet I can source to justify such a position, like wise, there are a few documents that state the opposite.

But my morals, my life, my views, my aspirations and how I conduct myself are based on mine - very high moral standards. Obviously I have faults and weaknesses, but I, Ms LC and my friends handle these.

To believe in todays society, with our knowledge of the world, earth, the universe, that a God existed despite contrary evidence stuns me, that Blair, a PM, a Barrister, talks to himself and makes key decisions after a consulation, scares me.

Thats why you have Civil Servants - Blair. You sent our boys to their death after a five minute chat with a "God", during the chat, did God, foresee what would happen, that we did not have a Plan to manage the Country after the war, that religious factions would fight each other, that our friends would attack us.

That over a thousand US and 100 UK troops, would die in a place that doesn't want them and where we may have to have a presence until the Ice Age returns.

Next time Blair, speak to some of your advisors who have experience of such matters and don't get involved in US geo- politics and if you do, make sure you have plans to get out quickly.

LC

LC, I can't be arsed to get into this argument as a busy man myself, but I fail to see how anybody (including somebody as intellectual as yourself.....) can catergorically state 'God doesn't exsist, Full stop' - I can quite easily turn around and say 'God does exist, full stop', but how could anyone be sure ? This really is an after lunch Friday thread - can we postpone until then ?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
When you say "God" do you mean some kind of interventionist polyanthromorphic deity or as an interested but detached existential being?

I don't see anything wrong in your faith guiding your professional life as long as you are honest about it from the onset to those who rely on you and those that you have influence over. Doesn't really matter if others think that what you believe is a fairy story.

Actually just for record as a parent, I will leave it to my kids to make their decisions on religion. Our local school just had a harvest festival, our daughter went along, as did all of her class mates, of all religions and races and creeds. I would have no problem with her going to Eid, or whatever. Only by mixing and learning about races, religion, the pro and cons can she make her own informed decisions. Ms LC will probably take our children to XMas eve mass as well, its a great experience.

Last night, I outlined to her what Christmas actually was about - didn't some survey show last year or so that majority of kids had no idea of its links to Christ?

Last edited:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Every moral person folows a set of codes. These vary between cultures but at the core of these codes is a basic will to do good and treat people well. Some people give it a name ie Christianity or Hinduism etc. It has become corrupted and taken too literally but essentially the moral baselines are pretty similar throuyhout most religions. It is politicians and moneymakers that have exploited the apparant differances in religions to insight hatred and justify illegal wars to meet their own ends.

LC, I can't be arsed to get into this argument as a busy man myself, but I fail to see how anybody (including somebody as intellectual as yourself.....) can catergorically state 'God doesn't exsist, Full stop' - I can quite easily turn around and say 'God does exist, full stop', but how could anyone be sure ? This really is an after lunch Friday thread - can we postpone until then ?

Just trying to have a topical discussion.

I be chilled to be 99.99 relaxed about no God, I leave the semantics (0.01%) to the accountants.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
A fallacy...... from prehistoric times, tribes would murder, rape, steal from each other. Their basic instinct was to survive. Then, when laws, from whatever religion were put in place, it gave people a standard by which they should live and conduct themseleves. How can you even begin to think that human instinct was moralistic ? It just wasn't, it was purely law of the jungle

you need to speak to some anthropolgists then, because you got a false impression of ancient and prehistoric people. or just compare and contrast Greek, Roman and Egyptian morallty to the monotheistic relgions. by your arguement, chimps and gorillas have a more sophisticated moral code and structred society than prehistoric man. where there is murder etc, it is between families or tribes fighting over resources... sound familiar?

L...but I fail to see how anybody (including somebody as intellectual as yourself.....) can catergorically state 'God doesn't exsist, Full stop' - I can quite easily turn around and say 'God does exist, full stop', but how could anyone be sure ?

the flaw in this logic is that you cannot prove god exists, you must rely on faith and believe. however, i can say there is no evidence of god therefore it is most probably one does not exist.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003

Well said that man. You have hit the nail very firmly on the head.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here