Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

anyone know where burgess hill is?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Crawley was a small village before the war but was developed as part of the New Towns Act of 1946 along with likes of Basildon, Milton Keynes, Wellyn Garden City and about 4/5 others.

Haywards Heath and Burgess Hill were both small villages at the time the railway came in 1841 and developed because of it. During the 80s, Burgess Hill was said to be the 4th fastest growing town in the country and having lived here since 1967 can vouch for the numerous open spaces, orchards, farmland that, as Madonno once said, used to be my playground, now disappearing under a plethora of estates to the north, south, east and west of the town, one of which I now reside in.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Haywards Heath was originally a moor land around the north of Wivelsfield.

It was named Haywards Heath after a renowned highway man of the time called Hayward who would carry out robberies on the heath.

Not too dissimilar to the story of Jacobs Post, the corner by the The Royal Oak where someone murdered the landlord of the inn and his wife and was hung for the crime.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Going back to the OP. yes I know where it is.

BUT more importantly, is it showing the game tonight?

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Haywards Heath was originally a moor land around the north of Wivelsfield.

It was named Haywards Heath after a renowned highway man of the time called Hayward who would carry out robberies on the heath.

Yep, that's my understanding.

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
Not too dissimilar to the story of Jacobs Post, the corner by the The Royal Oak where someone murdered the landlord of the inn and his wife and was hung for the crime.

Spot on

The Jacobs post relates to the following

The Royal Oak Public House was a former coach house.

Jacob Harris who was also known as Jacob the Jew stayed at the Royal Oak one night and in order to rob the place murdered the land lord, his wife and daughter.

He was caught, sentenced to death and was hung at the old Horsham Jail that no longer exists.

As a warning to others his body was taken back to the Royal Oak and his body was hung to rot from a post in the grounds of the pub.

The post is still there today hence the name “ Jacobs Post”

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
No worse than Wivelsfield station which is in afore mentioned Burgess Hill.

Wivelsfield station is called such as the station was re-named to the closest village as Burgess Hill station already existed.

They had to put a second station in Burgess Hill as the London to Hastings line needed a junction hence Junction Road and the Junction Pub.

The part of Burgess Hill where Wivelsfield Station is, is called Worlds End. The reason for this is that the railway was built by Irish Navies and when they got to Burgess Hill which was obviously the next town down from Haywards Heath.
When they found there was no Public House, they were convinced that this was the end of the world! ( I kid you not)
A pub was opened especially for them and was called the spotted dog but it is just a private house today.

Anyway the point of this is that the people who built the new station in 1896 decided that it would be called Keymer Junction but this did not go down well with locals who liked the idea of calling it Worlds End.
But in 1899 a serious accident happened here, when a red signal was obscured by thick fog. A train from Brighton collided with a boat train from Newhaven Harbour at 40mph, and six passengers were killed and twenty seriously injured.
The locals then decided that calling it Worlds End was probably a bad omen and they decided to compromise and call the station Wivelsfield which was the next nearest village without a railway station or any plans to have one.

Sorry to go on but history was the only subject I enjoyed at School.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Well, when I lived there (1993 - 2003) it was always known as "Bugs Hole" so I always though a rabbit made a burrow there once and the name stuck - only over the years has slang and poor language enabled it to degenerate into "Burgess Hill".

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
Just seen this thread but, yeah, having lived on Silverdale Road for the past 25 or so years, I can definitely vouch for that long walk uphill every time I head into town. And Junction Road is a nasty one too when you can't be arsed to wait for a train.

Egh! People, schmeeple.

The original point being made was that Moulsecoomb Station appeared to be peculiarly named, considering its location.

I did read somewhere that when it was commissioned (the first new railway station in the south after the Beeching axe), they were considering calling it Hollingdean, but decided on Moulsecoomb. Can't remember the reasons specifically, and I can't remember where I read it.
I might have told you. It all happened when I was working in the public transport team at East Sussex County Council.

ESCC was considering putting up some of the funding to build the new station. But some financial crisis blew up and the then Tory council decided to pull the plug on the spending. British Rail, however, decided to go ahead with it. They decided to call the station 'Moulsecoomb', despite the advice of ESCC that it should be 'Hollingdean'. ESCC couldn't press the point, though, having pulled the funding contribution that had previously been promised.

As for London Road ... it's that old chestnut:-

Why, if you want to go to Preston Park, do you catch the train to London Road? And, if you want to go to London Road, you catch the train to Preston Park?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I used to live in the oldest town in Burgess Hill.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I used to live in the oldest house in Burgess Hill.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here