Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

anyone know where burgess hill is?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
... but actually in Moulsecoomb. :thumbsup:

Not really. I grant you that the building next to the station is Moulsecoomb Place but that's historical. Moulsecoomb these days tends to refer to the housing estate rather than a Saxon thanedom (or whatever they were called).

I agree that it's an interesting question as to why The Avenue is considered to be in Bevendean rather than Moulescoomb - as historically it should be - but that's the way it is.

ady1973

Jul 27, 2008
New Milton
How Many hills do you want :
Silverdale Rd
Noel Rise
Junction Rd
Leylands Rd
London Rd
Station Rd
Cants Lane
Janes Lane
Valebridge Rd

Most of the hilly bits are in the old part of B.hill, and not the new estate's around Tesco's and the Triangle.

But if you would like some more examples....just shout

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Good thread - I've wondered for years about the naming of HH, wondering where the heath was.

Now, can someone tell me what that station at Balcombe (which appears to be in the middle of nowhere) is all about and what are the bridges in Three Bridges?

Three Bridges was a tiny hamlet, which first began to grow with the coming of the railways in the mid 19th century. Despite many beliefs to the contrary, the village was not named after rail bridges, but rather for three much older crossings over the streams in the area (River Mole tributaries). The village was changed radically with the coming of the New town development in the Crawley area in the late 1940s.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Not really. I grant you that the building next to the station is Moulsecoomb Place but that's historical. Moulsecoomb these days tends to refer to the housing estate rather than a Saxon thanedom (or whatever they were called).

I agree that it's an interesting question as to why The Avenue is considered to be in Bevendean rather than Moulescoomb - as historically it should be - but that's the way it is.

It IS in Moulsecoomb.

Moulsecoomb starts pretty much at Preston Barracks (or rather, on the opposite side of Lewes Road to the barracks), with the first developments going up in the early 1920s.

'Bevendean' refers to the land once occupied by Lower Bevendean Farm. If you're going to get technical about it, it is in Moulsecoomb also.

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Just for arguments sake, the main hill in Burgess hill runs up from Worlds End, bottom of Junction Road, up to Hoadleys corner, a difference of appromiately 30 metres, according to Earthtools.org.

Having made the mistake one day of deciding to walk from Wivelsfield Station to Burgess Hill Station to avoid a tedious wait for a train I can certainly vouch for that, it all looked very flat on the map, but after the level crossing it deffo wasn't.

On the subject of Hassocks, it was originally named 'Hassocks Gate' after the railway station which was in turn named after the Toll Gate at Stonepound Crossroads. The 'Hassock' comes from the fact that the field between Hurstpierpoint and Keymer was mainly used to produce straw for filling Hassocks(es). I think trying to brand it as 'Gateway to the Downs' is a misnomer, surely that should be Clayton.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
It IS in Moulsecoomb.

Moulsecoomb starts pretty much at Preston Barracks (or rather, on the opposite side of Lewes Road to the barracks), with the first developments going up in the early 1920s.

'Bevendean' refers to the land once occupied by Lower Bevendean Farm. If you're going to get technical about it, it is in Moulsecoomb also.

... but not to anyone who lives there.

People who live in Moulsecoomb (the estate) certainly don't consider people in Bevendean to be Scoombers - nor do they consider people from the Bates Estate, right next to the station to be Scoombers either.

I don't think the people who live at the top of Coombe Road would consider themselves living in Moulsecoomb either.

I don't deny that speaking historically you're perfectly correct but to people in the area, Moulsecoomb, Bevendean and Hollingdean etc are quite clearly defined areas

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Three Bridges was a tiny hamlet, which first began to grow with the coming of the railways in the mid 19th century. Despite many beliefs to the contrary, the village was not named after rail bridges, but rather for three much older crossings over the streams in the area (River Mole tributaries). The village was changed radically with the coming of the New town development in the Crawley area in the late 1940s.

Thanks for that. It is something that has always intrigued me.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
... but not to anyone who lives there.

People who live in Moulsecoomb (the estate) certainly don't consider people in Bevendean to be Scoombers - nor do they consider people from the Bates Estate, right next to the station to be Scoombers either.

I don't think the people who live at the top of Coombe Road would consider themselves living in Moulsecoomb either.

I don't deny that speaking historically you're perfectly correct but to people in the area, Moulsecoomb, Bevendean and Hollingdean etc are quite clearly defined areas

Egh! People, schmeeple.

The original point being made was that Moulsecoomb Station appeared to be peculiarly named, considering its location.

I did read somewhere that when it was commissioned (the first new railway station in the south after the Beeching axe), they were considering calling it Hollingdean, but decided on Moulsecoomb. Can't remember the reasons specifically, and I can't remember where I read it.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
So they are CHEATS,they have no HILL it is just a typical example of a local tory council boosting tourism by claiming an asset the town DOES NOT OWN.

Now then you silly attention seeking boy. When are you going to tell everyone that you actually work in Burgess Hill? And have done for a number of years.
A strange place I admit but a very nice tip which I've just visited.

Now Horsham where you live; I've never seen a whore selling Ham there. So what's the justification?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
borough
bury,
is sometimes derived from OE. burh (dative sing, byrig), a fortified place, and sometimes from OE. beorg, a hill, hillock, or grave-mound. The two words have become much confused.

bourne
(OE. burna), a stream.

combe
(OE. cumb), a valley. It had a less restricted meaning than Mod. Eng. coomb.
den
(OE. denu), a woodland pasture; often difficult to distinguish from

dean
(OE. denu), a valley.

ey
(OE. eg, leg), an island; used both of an island proper, and of a higher piece of land surrounded by marshes.

field
(OE. feld), an open piece of land. The meaning is that of Dutch veldt, not of Mod. Eng. field, which usually denotes an enclosed plot.
ham
used in two senses: (1) a homestead, manor, or village (OE. ham); (2) a piece of pasture-land, especially a river meadow (OE. hamm). There has been much confusion between the two words, and it is often difficult to decide with which we have to deal.

hurst
(OE. hyrst), a copse or wood.

ing
a frequently occurring suffix, of which there are several sources. The most common source is OE. -ingas, added (1) to a personal name, or (2) more rarely to a river name, or some other element. In (1) the meaning is 'The descendants, or people of...'; in (2) 'the dwellers at...

leigh, -ley
(OE. [eah), an open space in a wood; a natural open space rather than an artificial clearing.

mer(e)
(OE. mere), a pool or lake.
ste(a)d
(OE. stede), a place or site.

ton
(OE. tan), an enclosure, farm, homestead, or village. The primary sense is an enclosure; the extension of the meaning to include a village or town is a later development.

wich, -wick
(OE. wic), a dwelling-place, farm (especially a dairy-farm), or village.

worth
(OE. worð), an enclosure or homestead. OE. worð may have indicated a smaller homestead than ham or tun.

Top of Page main page: http://www.yeoldesussexpages.com
Place Names of Sussex

Just a little info.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
a bit more info

AMBERLEY (S): Ambrelie. ' Earner's clearing.'
ANGMERING (S): Angemare. 'The meadow of Angemær.'
ARDINGLY (S) : Erdingelega (ll07). 'The clearing of the sons of Earda.'
ASHURST (S) : Essehurst (1165). 'Ash wood.'
ASHINGTON (S): Eschintone. ' ~Æsca's enclosure.'
ATHERINGTON (S) : Atherinton (1274). '~Æthela's farm.'

BARCOMBE (S) : Bercham. ' Settlement among birch trees.'
BARLAVINGTON (S) : Berleventune. ' Beornlaf's farm.'
BEACHY (HEAD) (N) : Beuchef. 'Fair Head.'
BEDDINGHAM (S) : Beadingahamme (880). ' Enclosure of the sons of Beada.'
BERWICK (S) : Berewice. ' Barley-place.'
BEXHILL (S) : Bexelei. ' Box-tree clearing or meadow.'
BILLINGSHURST (S): Bellingeshurst (1202). 'Billings-wood.'
BODIAM (S) : BodehSã. ' Boda's homestead.'
BOGNOR (S) : Bucganora (680). ' The shore or bank of Bucga.'
BOSHAM (S) : Boseham. ' Bosa's homestead.'
BRIGHTON (S) : Bristelmestune. ' Brihthelm's farm or enclosure.'
BROYLE (F): Bruill (1226). "Thicket or rough coppice.'
BURWASH (S) : Borwhesse (1274)- ' Ashtree by the burgh.'
BUXTED (S) .Bokstede (1323). 'Place given by boc or charter.'

CHAILEY (S): Chagelegh (1284). 'Ceagga's meadow.'
GHARLTON (S) : Cerletone. ' Enclosure of the churls or free men.'
CHICHESTER (S) .Cisseceastre (900 c.). Cicestre(D). 'The city of Cissa.'
CUCKFIELD (S) : Cucufelda (1121). ' Cuca's field.'

DITCHLING (S) : Dicelinges. ? ' Place of dwellers near the ditch.'

EARNLEY (S) : Earneleagh (780) . ? ' Eagles' meadow.'
EASTBOURNE (S) : Burne. Estborn (1294). ' The east brook,'
EDBURTON (S) (1316). ' The tun or farm of Eadburg.'
EGDEAN (S) : Egedene (1278). 'Ecg's valley.'
EWHURST (S) : Iwehurste (1279). 'Yew-tree wood.'

FALMER (S) : Falemere, Felesmere. ? ' Boundary of the fallow.'
FIRLE (? S) : Ferla, Ferle. ? ' Little furrow.'
FITTLEWORTH (S) : Fitelwurda (1167). 'The enclosure of Fitela.'

GLYNDE (C) : Glinde (1274). ' Glen, valley.'
GOODWOOD (S) : Godynewod (1252). ' The wood of Godwin.'
GRINSTEAD, E. & W. (S) : Gremstede. ' The green place.'

HAILSHAM (S) : Eylesham (1230). 'Ægel's homestead.'
HARTING (S) : Hertinges. ' Stag-meadow (s).'
HASTINGS (S) : Hastinges. ' (Settlement of the) sons of Haesten.'
HEATHFIELD (S) : La Hethfeld. ' Heath, or waste land.'
HELLINGLY (S) : Hilyngelegh (Fourteenth century). ' The meadow of the hill-dwellers.'
HEYSHOTT (S) : (1283). ' A hedged or fenced-in corner.'
HOATHLY (S) : Hodlegh (1278). ' Heath meadow or clearing.'
HORSHAM (S) : Horsham (947)- 'Horsa's homestead, or enclosure for horses.'
HORSTED (S) KEYNES (F) : Horstede Kaynes (1294). 'The place for horses belonging to de Cahanges,'
HOVE (S) : Hou. ' The Hall or lord's abode.'

IPING (S) : Epinges (1095). ? ' Dwelling of lpa's sons.'
ITCHENOR, W. (L) : lccanore (683). ' lcca's bank or shore.'

KEYMER (S) : Chemere. ' Cow's lake or drinking-pond.'

LANCING (S) : Wlencing (900c.). ' (Landing-place of) Wiencing, son of Ella.'
LAUGHTON (S) : Lestone. ' Vegetable garden.'
LAVINGTON, E. & W. (S) : Levitone. ' Home or farm of Lufa.'
LEWES (S) : Lewes; also Lœwes (961). ' A mound.'
LINDFIELD (S) : Lindefeldia (765). ' Limetree field or enclosure.'
LURGASHALL (S): Letegareshale (1136). 'Lothgar's corner,'
LYMINSTER (L) : Limestre (1250). ' Leo's Minster,'

MARESFIELD (S) : Mersefelde (1316). 'Marshfield.'
MAYFIELD (S) : Magefeud (1260), also Maghefeld (1316). ' The field of the Virgin,'

NEWICK (S)': Niwicha (1107). ' New dwelling.'
NINFIELD (S) : Nymynefeld (1278). ' St. Ninian's field.'

OVINGDEAN (S) : Ouingdene (1100). ' The valley meadow of Ofa.'

PAGHAM (S) : Pageham. ' Pæcga's settlement.'
PATCHAM (S) : Pecham (1278). ' The homestead of Pæcca.'
PETWORTH (S) : Peteorde. ' Pit enclosure.'
PEVENSEY (S) : Pefenesa (1100 c.). ' Pefn's island.'
POLING (S) : Pellinges. ? ' The boundary-stake water-meadow.'
PULBOROUGH (S) : Poleberge. ' The pool stronghold.'

RACTON (S) : Rachetone. ' The tun or enclosure of Raculf or Raca.'
RINGMER (S) : Ringemere (1275) ' The lake (or boundary) of Hring.'
ROTHERFIELD (S) : Reredfelle (? for Redrevelle) : also Hrytheranfelda (880)Either ' field of cattle ' or ' Hrother's field.'
RUDGWICK (S): Ruggewyk (1259) ' The hill-side abode.'
RUSPER (S) : Rousparre (1325) ' Rough spar or pole ' (? as landmark).

SEDLESCOMBE (S) : Selescombe. ' Sædel's hillside hollow.'
SELSEY (S) : Seolesige (683?). 'Seals' island.'
SHERMANBURY (S) : Shurmandbury ( 1349). ' Sheriff's city ' or perhaps ' Shearer's town.'
SHIPLEY (S) : Sepelie. ' Sheep pasture land (or ? lake).'
SLINDON (S) : Eslindone. ' Hill with narrow pass.'
SOMPTING (?S) : Suntinga (956). ? 'Abode of Sunting,' or 'Sunte's meadow.'
STANMER (S) : Stamere. ' Stone lake or boundary.'
STEYNING (S) : Staninges. ' Stony meadow.'

TELSCOMBE (S) : Tetelscombe (1274). 'Tetels narrow valley.'
THAKEHAM (S) : Tacaham (1073). ' The Thatcher's homestead.'

UCKFIELD (S): Ochefeud (1248), Uckfeude (1316). ? 'Oat-field' or 'Ucca's field.'
UDIMORE (S) : Odmere (1252). 'Uda's boundary (or ? lake).'

WADHURST (S) : Wadeherst. ' Wada's wood.'
WASHINGTON (S) : Wassingatune (947). ' The hamlet of the Wassings.'
WESTMESTON (S) : Wesmestun. ' West moss enclosure.'
WILMINGTON (S) : (1294). ' Settlement of the sons of Wilma.'
WINCHELSEA (S) : (1165). ' Island or water in an angle of land.'
WITHYHAM (S) : Wydyham (1326). ' Willow (-grown) bend in a river.'
WORTHING (S) : Werthing (1328). ' Enclosed place or land'.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Now, can someone tell me what that station at Balcombe (which appears to be in the middle of nowhere) is all about

I've always wondered that, having to stop there on my way back from Crawley every evening.

I've always imagined it to be like some kind of Narnia wonderland, where you step out of the station and are greeted by forests and talking animals and mythical beasts

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
my grandmother told us stories of how, when she was a girl (must have been around 1917-20), she enjoyed spending her summer holidays in Crawley :ohmy::ohmy:

thought Crawley was a post-war town before that must just have a been a village type place. Awaits being corrected

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
thought Crawley was a post-war town before that must just have a been a village type place. Awaits being corrected

Map of Crawley from 1932.

Crawley1932OS.png

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
I see your point.

Can someone tell me where Mr Hayward's heath is, then? Or Mr Manning's?

Haywards Heath was originally a moor land around the north of Wivelsfield.

It was named Haywards Heath after a renowned highway man of the time called Hayward who would carry out robberies on the heath.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
On the map do you notice that Gatwick was a race course and the Grand National was run there for three years during WW1. The races however are sometimes disregarded as the National.

East of the race course is a place called Harrowsley (now part of Horley). Now many years ago my family, a certain William Burberry, (close relative of Burberry's of London) owned the Manor of Harrowsley and we were considerably richer than thou!

However good old Bill was partial to a bit of gambling and drink. When he died the debt he had risen so high the family had to sell the manor to service said debt and so become once again poor. We have taken great pride in keeping this tradition of being poor and pissheads until this day.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here