Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

anyone know where burgess hill is?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
You should have run down it. Same distance, but easier.

Nah, because I ran DOWN Ockley Lane, on my way to Keymer and Ditchling, in a kind of loop. Folders Lane was on the way back :p

northstandnorth

THE GOLDSTONE
Oct 13, 2003
A272 at 85 mph
I see your point.

Can someone tell me where Mr Hayward's heath is, then? Or Mr Manning's?

Mr Mannings heath got cleared for a rather pikey golf course by the same mob that own a hotel in Lower Beeding.A Hotel that it HUNDREDS of feet above sea level than Upper Beeding.AND THE HOTEL IS ON A RATHER IMPRESSIVE HILL leading to Leanordslea Gardens.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Even more mystifying. If you were in Brighton and wanted to get to Shoreham, you would probably go along the coast road. There is a new road, strangely called the Old Shoreham Road. :shrug:

northstandnorth

THE GOLDSTONE
Oct 13, 2003
A272 at 85 mph
Wiki says:

The hill in the town's name is taken to mean different things to different people; many believe that the hill in question is the hill on which the train station currently stands, but there is a Burgess Farm on a hill in the south-east of the town, on Folders Lane. Whether this is the hill referred to in the town's name is not known.
So they are CHEATS,they have no HILL it is just a typical example of a local tory council boosting tourism by claiming an asset the town DOES NOT OWN.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Have there ever been any bear sightings around the Bear Road area? ???

675~Grizzly-Bear-Posters.jpg

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Can someone tell me where Mr Hayward's heath is, then?

A true fact, which I may have learned on here, Hayward's heath only exists because when they built the london to brighton railway line, Lindfield and Cuckfield couldn't agree who would have the station so they built it inbetween them on some heathland. I'm not sure if Mr Hayward owned it, I guess he did :shrug:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Cant anybody just add to Wikipedia so it doesnt have to be correct. I would think the best place to find out the answer is the town hall or local historian.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
A true fact, which I may have learned on here, Hayward's heath only exists because when they built the london to brighton railway line, Lindfield and Cuckfield couldn't agree who would have the station so they built it inbetween them on some heathland. I'm not sure if Mr Hayward owned it, I guess he did :shrug:

Same reason that Hassocks exists, because Hurstpierpoint was either (a) too posh to have a station or (b) thought the new fangled rail-way would never catch on.

Now what the HELL is Hassocks all about? I thought a hassock was something you kneeled on in church while talking to the big man upstairs?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I see your point.

Can someone tell me where Mr Hayward's heath is, then? Or Mr Manning's?

The Hayward's still own farms in the area (one being of the pickle fame) and much of the land (being heath land) was owned by the Hayward's.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
WARNING.......he is from Burgess Hill,.....he has 6 toes......he has 3 eyes,he claims a HILL his town does not own.

Oi, I am ON that very hill as we speak :cool:

northstandnorth

THE GOLDSTONE
Oct 13, 2003
A272 at 85 mph
Even more mystifying. If you were in Brighton and wanted to get to Shoreham, you would probably go along the coast road. There is a new road, strangely called the Old Shoreham Road. :shrug:

thats because it lead to the old shoreham
the new shoreham(the beach)only came to be with the influx of cockernee theatrical types than followed the Kinema to a shanty town built south of the river.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
thats because it lead to the old shoreham
the new shoreham(the beach)only came to be with the influx of cockernee theatrical types than followed the Kinema to a shanty town built south of the river.

When was that because it has been Old Shoreham Rd as Long as I have been alive and my mother tells me the same.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here