Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

anyone know where burgess hill is?

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
thats because it lead to the old shoreham
the new shoreham(the beach)only came to be with the influx of cockernee theatrical types than followed the Kinema to a shanty town built south of the river.

Incorrect, New Shoreham was built in the 12th century when longshore drift began blocking the mouth of the Adur making it difficult for boats to anchor at Old Shoreham.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
SORRY,THE WHOLE POINT OF THIS THREAD IS TO FIND A f***ing HILL IN BURGESS HILL.
mole hills need not apply,show me something to compete with Snaky Hill of rename your town Burgess Flat As Pancake.

I'll see your so-called-snaky-hill and raise you a BEACON :p

You don't see Ditchling boasting about it, do you?

No, they just get on with it, rather than blatantly changing the names of regally named Avenues to make them sound like treacherously steep inclines.

You big city folk and your ways.

hillbilly

In the hill, not over it!
Sep 1, 2008
Burgess Hill
Holly Willoughby was schooled in the town, during her 'formative' years.

I did not know that. I lived in Hassocks during my school years, so missed that treat! I have lived in the town and outskirts of B Hill, the latter the much better. In fairness it feels like almost anywhere in terms the outskirts of towns/cities my friends live in.

northstandnorth

THE GOLDSTONE
Oct 13, 2003
A272 at 85 mph
When was that because it has been Old Shoreham Rd as Long as I have been alive and my mother tells me the same.
I was born off of old shoreham road and it has been called such since at least the 50's but Shoreham beach(new shoreham) has its roots in the cinema industry that stretched and embraced the railway track from hove to shoreham. Ranging from the film studios of hove to the companies making projectors and cameras (Alfred Darling being the most famous) to the shanty town of Shoreham Beach.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Haywards of pickle fame has a house in Warninglid I am told.

Indeed he does. He's the the uncle of a friend who farms the land between Cuckfield and Staplefield. He is also related to Jack Hayward of Wolves.

northstandnorth

THE GOLDSTONE
Oct 13, 2003
A272 at 85 mph
I did not know that. I lived in Hassocks during my school years, so missed that treat! I have lived in the town and outskirts of B Hill, the latter the much better. In fairness it feels like almost anywhere in terms the outskirts of towns/cities my friends live in.

bulshit ms willowby claims Colliers 6th form college,Horsham in her c.v.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Right. Burgess Hill and Haywards Heath are definitely uphill from Shoreham. Because the River Adur which runs past the end of the Old Shoreham Road, which is a fair walk away from the oldest part of Shoreham, rises from two sources outside of Burgess Hill and Haywards Heath. :ohmy:

Mar 4, 2008
Burgess Hill!
Noel Rise, Junction Road, Janes lane. They are all hilly enough for me!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Good thread - I've wondered for years about the naming of HH, wondering where the heath was.

Now, can someone tell me what that station at Balcombe (which appears to be in the middle of nowhere) is all about and what are the bridges in Three Bridges?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Good thread - I've wondered for years about the naming of HH, wondering where the heath was.

Now, can someone tell me what that station at Balcombe (which appears to be in the middle of nowhere) is all about.

No worse than Wivelsfield station which is in afore mentioned Burgess Hill.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
To get into Burgess Hill by road from the North, East and South you have to go up a hill, so that must be it. Not much of a hill, granted, but a hill none the less. Most of the town is built on top of said hill. But I would agree that if that is a hill, then the Downs are an enormous mountain range challenging the Himalayas.

As for the Heath in Haywards, if you walk next to the golf club between the 8th hole and the railway line, there is a very small patch of heathland (gorse bushes and a bit of heather), so maybe that is it. I suspect that many years ago, it would have resembled Chailey common or similar.

I believe that it was the Sergison family in Cuckfield that prevented the railway going through their land (Cuckfield House? next to the cricket pitch) and that the ghost of one of them (Ann?) swings on the gates of the house whenever she hears a train. So yes, before that Haywards Heath was just a collection of large farms as the coach route to Brighton went via Cuckfield. Some would say that HH is still a collection of houses and not much else to this day, but I could not possibly comment.

Jahooli

Feb 12, 2008
SORRY,THE WHOLE POINT OF THIS THREAD IS TO FIND A f***ing HILL IN BURGESS HILL.
mole hills need not apply,show me something to compete with Snaky Hill of rename your town Burgess Flat As Pancake.

Or Burgess Depression ( I work there), if you approach it from Ditchling Beacon you often see a sort of hazy gloom settling over it.

Also boasts a magnificent office with IT 1st emblazoned over it's grand portico.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Just for arguments sake, the main hill in Burgess hill runs up from Worlds End, bottom of Junction Road, up to Hoadleys corner, a difference of appromiately 30 metres, according to Earthtools.org.

Interestingly Crowborough, the highest inhabited point in East Sussex, doesn't need to mention hills or beacons in it's name. It just knows that it is the highest place (even has it's own micro climate) and doesn't need to draw attention to the fact. It is above such things (see what I did there).

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Interestingly Crowborough, the highest inhabited point in East Sussex, doesn't need to mention hills or beacons in it's name. It just knows that it is the highest place (even has it's own micro climate) and doesn't need to draw attention to the fact. It is above such things (see what I did there).

:lolol: very good!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here