Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anti climax ???

D

Deleted member 18477

I know yesterdays match was only a humble affair but did anyone who was there get that ' is that it' feeling after so much expectation about the stadium?

Clearly you've never been to Withdean. Some people...

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Its a bueatifull thing and I cannot wait to spend as much time as possible there, a few teething problems which meant I could not get a real ale (bottle of fosters could be bought quickly from individual venders around the busy catering stalls - did'nt want to ruin the experience). However I just smiled thinking plenty of time ahead to sample everything over and over again.

Finally the Goldstone and its crap hole toilets and wagon wheel catering can just be a wiff of nostalgia now and then.

Eddie Bee

Feb 3, 2009
Shoreham by Sea
We certainly enjoyed it, definitely no anti-climax!!!
Not sure if it was advertised as being on GENERAL SALE effectively though!! Probably would have filled it better then.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Think there were always going to be a few disappointed people just because of the type of day it was. The atmosphere was never going to be rocking, there were going to be problems with food etc that is why it was a limited capacity to get things right for August.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I know yesterdays match was only a humble affair but did anyone who was there get that ' is that it' feeling after so much expectation about the stadium?
Not in the slightest. Wasn't really *that* interested in the match, I wanted Albion to win and OGH to score the first goal but really that was just the icing on the cake. I spent most of the time looking round going "Wow, I can't BELIEVE this is ours!" Also hearing the volume of the actually quite pathetic cheering I can't WAIT to hear a packed Amex in full cry.

I am unlikely to get to a game (assuming I can get a ticket) much before mid October. I got excited on the few occasions that I drive past the stadium, particularly when seeing it loom into vision when coming toward it down the A27 heading east. I can't imagine actually visiting it will be in any way an anticlimax.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Not in the slightest. Wasn't really *that* interested in the match, I wanted Albion to win and OGH to score the first goal but really that was just the icing on the cake. I spent most of the time looking round going "Wow, I can't BELIEVE this is ours!" Also hearing the volume of the actually quite pathetic cheering I can't WAIT to hear a packed Amex in full cry.

100% correct on all points. My experience/thoughts exactly.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
There's a reason why it didn't sell out you know...

that's it,a lot of people did not want their first experience at the Amex to be in a 2/3 empty stadium.Everyone to their own.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
A big THIS to every post in this thread except #1 and #17. Far from being disappointed with the atmosphere, I was amazed it could be so good with so few people for such a nothing game.

35yearstop2divs

May 16, 2011
attended yesterday and have to say i wasnt blown away , the blind leading the blind stewards in charge of traffic/parking was so bad it was funny . the one way in and out accross narrow bridge is going to mean surely away fans kept in otherwise it will be carnage , especially on that platform at falmer . how long till some mown over on the a27 trying a short cut as three idiots tried yesterday ! inside ground one quality stand , 2 average and one joke . Pitch was quality . I think there is going to be some big issues with large crowds bearing in mind there was only 7000 there which was also surprising as 1500 eastbourne boro fans . 3000 UNSOLD SEATS .

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
attended yesterday and have to say i wasnt blown away , the blind leading the blind stewards in charge of traffic/parking was so bad it was funny . the one way in and out accross narrow bridge is going to mean surely away fans kept in otherwise it will be carnage , especially on that platform at falmer . how long till some mown over on the a27 trying a short cut as three idiots tried yesterday ! inside ground one quality stand , 2 average and one joke . Pitch was quality . I think there is going to be some big issues with large crowds bearing in mind there was only 7000 there which was also surprising as 1500 eastbourne boro fans . 3000 UNSOLD SEATS .

A Palace fan speaks

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

See we are not that way inclined-as for the road i have to admit that the fence that was put up several years ago does need lengthening as for anything Palace related..medication and help are available.

It was a subdued game on the whole, but didn't expect much else.

I think it was quiet because a lot of people were sitting quietly, dumbstruck as they looked around at our new surroundings.

But I'm pleased to say I was there to see/cheer Gary Hart's opening goal. Pleased to know that even with 20 or so singers the North Stand noise carries well. Pleased to finally sit in my seat.

Sure there were teething troubles and the refreshment queue time/service need improvements. But that is the point of a ramp up event. I was going to wait until the Donny game originally. But think I might go to Spurs too now, and hope to see improvements/lessons learnt. If there continue to be issues for the next few weeks/games I hope everyone remembers where we've come from and have a bit of patience!

Anti-climax? No.

Appetite whetted? Yes.

Able to take in that it is real, and we are finally there? No!

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
Anti climax - no. But, as I posted elsewhere, the atmoshere was a disappointment due to the low turnout and general apathy about the game. Most were there to see the ground, and not the game. I think those who are saving their first experience to be the Doncaster game have made a wise move.
:bigwave:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
attended yesterday and have to say i wasnt blown away , the blind leading the blind stewards in charge of traffic/parking was so bad it was funny . The one way in and out accross narrow bridge is going to mean surely away fans kept in otherwise it will be carnage , especially on that platform at falmer . How long till some mown over on the a27 trying a short cut as three idiots tried yesterday ! Inside ground one quality stand , 2 average and one joke . Pitch was quality . I think there is going to be some big issues with large crowds bearing in mind there was only 7000 there which was also surprising as 1500 eastbourne boro fans . 3000 unsold seats .

facepalm

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here