Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anti climax ???

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
attended yesterday and have to say i wasnt blown away , the blind leading the blind stewards in charge of traffic/parking was so bad it was funny . the one way in and out accross narrow bridge is going to mean surely away fans kept in otherwise it will be carnage , especially on that platform at falmer . how long till some mown over on the a27 trying a short cut as three idiots tried yesterday ! inside ground one quality stand , 2 average and one joke . Pitch was quality . I think there is going to be some big issues with large crowds bearing in mind there was only 7000 there which was also surprising as 1500 eastbourne boro fans . 3000 UNSOLD SEATS .

So compare it to Selhurst Park, assuming from your witty user name you're a **** sorry i mean scummer. Go on - compare it...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
this game was exactly what it said it was the mickey mouse cup final, game for all stadium staff to test out the running of the place, and to put right any problems they had for the next big game, also there were a lot of brighton supporters who wanted to experience their first visit to the stadium with a capacity crowd and an atmosphere of a united home crowd 3 times that of the usual at withdean, when it comes to the first league game the place will be bouncing and the club will show us all the way to celebrate the "real" opening of our new home we call the american express community stadium.....personally i can't wait for every home game to come soon enough...:bounce:

Quite. The football was as piss poor as you'd expect. In addition, we now know:

a) Entrance to the stadium works quite well - when the silly fuckers deign to open the concourse to the punters
b) The acoustics are splendid - for the PA and those that care to put in the singing effort
c) The catering can't cope with 7,000 punters
d) The trains can just about cope with 7,000 punters

The Spurs game will be the first REAL test of what works and what doesn't.

Last edited:

The screamer

NSC's biggest geek
Apr 2, 2010
Portsmouth
Quite. The football was as piss poor as you'd expect. In addition, we now know:

a) Entrance to the stadium works quite well - when the silly fuckers deign to open the concourse to the punters
b) The acoustics are splendid - for the PA and those that care to put in the singing effort
c) The catering can't cope with 7,000 punters
d) The trains can just about cope with 7,000 punters

The Spurs game will be the first REAL test of what works and what doesn't.

I had no issue with trains... out the ground, into a queue, onto a train all very quickly!

perry digweed

Oct 21, 2003
Brighton
I know yesterdays match was only a humble affair but did anyone who was there get that ' is that it' feeling after so much expectation about the stadium?

:facepalm:

I've experienced plenty of ups and downs during nearly 30 years as an Albion fan, going to Priestfield every other week was certainly one of the low points...

However, after seeing the AMEX for the first time I have no doubt that the opening games at our top of the range, state of the art, eagerly anticipated, hardly fought, beautiful new stadium, will come very close to topping many of the highs.

I cannot wait... let the good times roll! :amex:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
did anyone who was there get that ' is that it' feeling
Nope. I was hoping for a bigger turnout, though I do appreciate some want to wait for a different game. But the stadium was great - very relieved that it's going to have a great atmosphere.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I can understand people giving Saturday a miss but I think it'd be a mistake not to go to Spurs. The place will be only 4000 below capacity and that's still a far bigger crowd than we've had for a home game for years. And, as it's the official opening, it's also when most of the extra touches will happen - the old players back on the pitch, the minute's silence for the fans we've lost since the Goldstone and I'm sure the first serious test for the acoustics (lots of singing!) Plus a good game in prospect against a top 6 team... The place will be buzzing.

The screamer

NSC's biggest geek
Apr 2, 2010
Portsmouth
I can understand people giving Saturday a miss but I think it'd be a mistake not to go to Spurs. The place will be only 4000 below capacity and that's still a far bigger crowd than we've had for a home game for years. And, as it's the official opening, it's also when most of the extra touches will happen - the old players back on the pitch, the minute's silence for the fans we've lost since the Goldstone and I'm sure the first serious test for the acoustics (lots of singing!) Plus a good game in prospect against a top 6 team... The place will be buzzing.
Well said! But it doesn't matter what happens at Spurs, the many negative fans we have will find something to moan about

Nickols4

May 25, 2011
Dorking, Surrey.
Stunned by the theme of this thread. It seems that the decade plus gap has messed with some people's minds and that the realisation of what has been delivered is not fully understood.

Perhaps anyone wishing to buy a ticket at the Amex should be forced to read Build a Bonfire or go through a full one day induction to make sure they are fully aware of the enormity of what happened to the Albion. There were days when I never thought I would see this happen.

I am saving my first game for the Doncaster game. I can tell you now that as I enter the stadium I will have memories of York City, of that last ever Doncaster Game; of Jimmy Case speaking to fans outside the West Stand, of the drive I did to Gillingham every other week; of the faces of those fans pleading with others to boycott entrance to a Goldstone game; of Belotti being forced from the stands; of that sunny day against Mansfield; of the Yes Yes campaign leaflet delivery; of sitting in a car by the side of Hove Park crying when Reinelt scored... And more memories beside.

That stadium is full of the sacrifices people have made for us to be there, it's full of the hopes for the future and it's full of the sheer determination that such scandalous actions will never happen to this club again.

Anti-climax? No. We've only just begun.

Absolutely, 100%, this.

I know yesterdays match was only a humble affair but did anyone who was there get that ' is that it' feeling after so much expectation about the stadium?

Here's one of these bandwagon-jumping newbies we were warned about!!

Honestly mush, you can NOT have been supporting The Albion through thick and thin.
"humble affair" was all it ever purported to be - so it must be the Stadium you are referring to that isn't up to your idea of World Cup Final Every Frickin Week.

Please hurry up and bog off.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
We had a great day. Went to the Duke of Wellington first (as we have done since day 1 at Withdean), then on to the Swan for a couple more. Into the ground no problem, seats and view superb. Not a great game but happy Harty scored. Back to the Swan after then home.

Not sure what people expect. Bigger crowd for a reserve fixture than we had for several home league games last season.

The idea of a ramp up event is to discover problems now with just 7,000 to look after. Always going to be teething problems, but as long as they are sorted before we are too far into the season not a problem.

The atmosphere will be better as we get to see out first team on the pitch! It was a good chance to used to where to go pre game, getting in and finding your seat etc etc. It felt very alien on Saturday but it will soon feel like home!

Mar 10, 2006
I think some peoples expectations are way too high. This is a football stadium for fucks sake not a five star hotel. Ok so food service was a bit slow but so what it'll speed up. For too many years we've been used to low crowd numbers and now it's take off time you are gonna have to get used to queueing whether it be for food or transport. Anyone saying 'is that it' or feeling let down can't be following the right club. I went Saturday and still haven't come down from the high of being at such a brilliant stadium. Some people sound more like they are away supporters who will look to criticise every little thing they can.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I did not go on Saturday but I have been to the ground and no, there was no anti-climax. In fact the opposite; this is just the begining of an exciting journey.

burrish-gull

Mar 24, 2009
attended yesterday and have to say i wasnt blown away , the blind leading the blind stewards in charge of traffic/parking was so bad it was funny . the one way in and out accross narrow bridge is going to mean surely away fans kept in otherwise it will be carnage , especially on that platform at falmer . how long till some mown over on the a27 trying a short cut as three idiots tried yesterday ! inside ground one quality stand , 2 average and one joke . Pitch was quality . I think there is going to be some big issues with large crowds bearing in mind there was only 7000 there which was also surprising as 1500 eastbourne boro fans . 3000 UNSOLD SEATS .

What a bitter, nasty little jibe at our magnificent new ground, full of pure jealousy. The Amex is simply stunning and BTW its not finished yet if its the unfinished look to the stands you are on about. Its early days, there will be issues, its light years ahead of anything else in The Championship, I simply can't wait to tear Chrystal Palarse apart HOME and AWAY next season.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I was glad to be there along with 2 of my lads, one of their partners and 3 g/kids. They all found it very special.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here