Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Another PCN Advice Thread With Photo's And Hope And Disbelief And Injustice...

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
You're not very good at this are you.

49mph in a 30mph zone is Band B which is a driving ban of 7 to 28 days or 4 to 6 penalty points and a fine of up to 100% of your weekly income.
Why are you quoting the penalties issued when the driver is summonsed, when 49 mphs in a thirty are almost always dealt with by FPN?

And why the sneer?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
If 'they' were actually serious about stamping out illegal use of bus lanes the camera would be down the road on or around that bend.
But it's not because although it might actual stop the practice it wouldn't generate anywhere near as much money.

Absolutely nothing to do with road safety.

What is ridiculous, is that there is no bus lane around that bend. Where the bus is in the second pic is where the bus lane starts. Before that it's a general use road because it is how traffic exiting from the bridge car park or stanmer park join the main road into Brighton. I think the bus lane is there because quite often there are so many cars queuing to turn right on to coldean lane it goes back to where it's just two lanes, blocking the road straight ahead, so it allows buses priority. Not that it always helps - there are cars that try to move into the right hand lane because they know the bus lane is coming up, but they get caught in the right turn traffic leading to more queues bck down to the traffic lights by the bridge blocking buses from even getting to the bus lane (if they stay in the left lane until the bus lane starts, they can usualy get past the right turning traffic and prevent the jam). If the bus lane didn't start until after the traffic lights the straight ahead traffic would stay left longer and there wouldn't be so many jams there. Though as a cyclist who just bypasses it all, I'm not overly concerned.

Though I don't have much tolerance for the 'it's just there to generate money' argument. The simple solution is don't speed/drive in the bus lane/park illegally* and they won't make any money.
(*not meant to include the private cowboy parking firms)

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Things I have learned today:

5. Thankfully, some people are empathetic to the human condition, measured in their view, and pragmatic with their advice.

An absolute pleasure. Just remember not to do it again.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Problem is if that offer ambiguity on a few yards it won’t take long before people are taking the piss at 100 yds, that’s why the 20mph zones are so effective, many people(not all) happily do 10 over, so in a 30mph zone that’s 40mph which will kill someone if hit [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

But we are talking about a bus lane offence not speed, which depending on how fast you go can cause more damage/harm.

Sorry I can’t see why this has to be applied so rigidly.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
But we are talking about a bus lane offence not speed, which depending on how fast you go can cause more damage/harm.

Sorry I can’t see why this has to be applied so rigidly.

because if you let semeone off only doing 10 meters, a precedent has been set, so why not let someone go for a km. a bus lane is a bus lane, and has to be applied so rigidly, or else everything starts to fall apart.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
because if you let semeone off only doing 10 meters, a precedent has been set, so why not let someone go for a km. a bus lane is a bus lane, and has to be applied so rigidly, or else everything starts to fall apart.

Hardly.

It’s called common sense. 10 meters is not a km.

Perhaps a warning but fine?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think I may have transgressed and trespassed in a bus lane in Crawley Sunday pm. Hate Crawley and its road system - how strict are they in enforcing?

Can anyone think of anything positive about Crawley - it really should be in Surrey.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

This is the obvious domino effect. One week we turn a blind eye to a bus lane and next week it's rape and murder. By July we'll all be eating each other :mad:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Hardly.

It’s called common sense. 10 meters is not a km.

Perhaps a warning but fine?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

While I agree that it’s petty to enforce for 10 metres etc, the law can’t and shouldn’t make those allowances. Law essentially doesn’t work if you set a boundary and then don’t enforce it’s breaching. The law has to be consistent, 100% of the time, mitigating circumstances aside.
It seems harsh but it could also work in your favour should you ever find yourself up against a false charge.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here