Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Another PCN Advice Thread With Photo's And Hope And Disbelief And Injustice...

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
It's pathetic and petty to pull you up for that. You haven't done anything dangerous and you weren't trying to gain an advantage.

But for the sake of £30 I'd just pay it to avoid the hassle.

Goes against all my principles but this is the kind of useful & pragmatic advice I'm likely to follow. Thank you.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
I’d just cough up you knew you were in the wrong and got caught out.
Did you see the buses coming up on you and wanted to get a jump on them?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Are people doing it to "sneak a few metres" or "save time"?

Yes we are.
It's what we do and guess what we neither sneak a few metres or save time.
We just want to be in front.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
Is that you in a Bus Lane with 2 Buses behind you ?

Nothing worse than being on a bus that can't keep up with its schedule and makes people late for work because drivers of cars use the bus lanes for their convenience

Haha that's a desperate generalisation that completely ignores the facts of the situation. :tosser:

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
You could say you were rushing to get to Barnard castle to to test your eyes... no one would believe you for a year.... this time next year people will be hanging on your every word and you will have BBC journos on speed dial [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
If the Helmet in the Citroen was up with the traffic it wouldn't be a problem, like drivers in London that cross box junctions when there is plenty of room for 2 cars the other side, but stop so your back wheels are in the junction when you follow them.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I would say I swerved to avoid a pothole, there must be one there as they are everywhere.

£30 easy money for whichever department is on the make here, drive into a pothole and damage your vehicle and it’s a big drama to claim anything.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
If the Helmet in the Citroen was up with the traffic it wouldn't be a problem, like drivers in London that cross box junctions when there is plenty of room for 2 cars the other side, but stop so your back wheels are in the junction when you follow them.

I think you mean the car behind the Citroen, looks like a Volvo......sorry not being pedantic.... you make a good point, that driver must be able to see the OP indicating and wanting to turn left after the bus lane.
Probably being an arse and not moving forward or too busy looking at a phone to notice. :glare:

Edit- I was looking at the wrong photo, yes you are correct about the Citroen.
Sorry, as you were. :)

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Look on the bright side you have saved yourself £50 by not committing this offence in London.

Have a night out on the savings to drown your sorrows, and maybe leave 10 minutes earlier next season so that you can slow down behind the cars infront and only move over when legally entitled to do so.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house

Had similar incident last year going over Putney Bridge at night, an Uber pulled out in front of me and slammed the anchor on to pick up his fare, leaving me in a box junction....luckily I sent in my dash cam footage when the fine came through....case dismissed [emoji1303]

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Had similar incident last year going over Putney Bridge at night, an Uber pulled out in front of me and slammed the anchor on to pick up his fare, leaving me in a box junction....luckily I sent in my dash cam footage when the fine came through....case dismissed [emoji1303]

That's good news. Hammersmith and Fulham seem to be the worst for Box junction offences.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
You say bike lane I say - death trap.

Narrow.
Unsegregated.
Next to a bus lane.

Unsurprisingly unused.

Why would anybody feel safe on that bit of tarmac?
It certainly doesn't make anyone think 'im fed up with adding to the traffic, getting extra tax fines, I'm gonna use that bespoke safe smooth bike lane'.

That bit of a bike lane is part of my commute home, there's often a few people using it on the way back from Lewes/the universities. Though some also stick to the shared pavement path on the other side and join the road at the bottom of coldean lane.

I don't generally have a problem with the buses being so close. What is a problem is the overgrown hedges forcing cyclists to the edge or even out of the bike lane, and two hidden gaps in that hedge that people use as short cut to/from coldean lane. A short cut a lot of Brighton fans use post-match (not as bad when it's large numbers of people constantly coming through them, and you are aware of where the gaps are). Cycling home of an afternoon/early evening when it's a rare person suddenly jumping out because they can't hear an engine and assume it's clear it can be quite annoying to say the least. Doesn't seem to matter how often I cycle along there I still lose track of where they are because of the overgrowth.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That bit of a bike lane is part of my commute home, there's often a few people using it on the way back from Lewes/the universities. Though some also stick to the shared pavement path on the other side and join the road at the bottom of coldean lane.

I don't generally have a problem with the buses being so close. What is a problem is the overgrown hedges forcing cyclists to the edge or even out of the bike lane, and two hidden gaps in that hedge that people use as short cut to/from coldean lane. A short cut a lot of Brighton fans use post-match (not as bad when it's large numbers of people constantly coming through them, and you are aware of where the gaps are). Cycling home of an afternoon/early evening when it's a rare person suddenly jumping out because they can't hear an engine and assume it's clear it can be quite annoying to say the least. Doesn't seem to matter how often I cycle along there I still lose track of where they are because of the overgrowth.

I wanted to mention the hedgerow but the pictures aren't conclusive and I didn't want to give the anti cyclists another reason to pull me up on something.

Like you I don't have a problem with being that close to a bus, which in turn is easily cut up by a motorist.
But there's no way on earth that cycle lane is having someone sat in their car, for what seems like a bazillion years, look across and think:-

'I know I haven't cycled for 20 years.
But sitting here is so ridiculous and that path looks so inviting and safe, I'm gonna give it a go'.

That is what every cycle path should do, a simple remit which 95% fail.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I always thought there was some sort of rule that technically the last x hundred yards of a bid lane were unenforceable but probably just hearsay.

Why would you thing that? they might as well stop the line x hundred yards further up.
If this was the case, At what point would it be enforceable? none of use would know.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Some sympathy but the law’s the law. Pay up. Turning left at the bottom of Edward Street is almost impossible without going in the Bus lane when there are cars queuing.

The Edaward Street arrangement is nuts. Especially when turning into Morrisons. The car madness there has lost them my trade.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm sure that's why the camera is where it is. It isn't because it is believed that driving for 10 yards in a bus lane to turn left is deeply sinful or is holding up traffic at all. It is because they know drivers will use the last 10 yards of the bus lane to save time, and that's where the money is to be raised. If they put the camera fifty yards up the road they would only catch the drivers who are genuinely using the bus lane illegally; and that's not the point at all.

They had this in Blackburn a few years ago (may still do, for a ll I know, but I don't go there and I don't read the local paper). There is virtually no defence against the camera evidence. People appealed and lost on the grounds of the lane markings were covered in snow, moving aside for an ambulance with blue lights, only one wheel over the line a yard frm the edge - all turned down. I think the only valid defence would be moving aside for a police car with blue flashing lights, because that technically counts as the policeman advising you that you can disobey the law.

.....but being in the bus lane is a question of fact, not interpretation. There is a clear sign on the road signalling the end of it, if you choose to ignore that and go in before that sign, you’re using the bus lane illegally. Why 10 yards vs 50 ? 20 ? 37 ?

I’d be seething if it was me caught like anyone else but then kicking myself :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here