Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Another PCN Advice Thread With Photo's And Hope And Disbelief And Injustice...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You should get fined a further £30 for not having an Albion air freshener hanging from your mirror. :whistle:

I'm just grateful I bought a job lot of Goldstone fresheners.

There's nothing more comforting than the smell of boiling can burgers and urine.

Happy dayz.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Unlucky [MENTION=28232]jonnyrovers[/MENTION] , I’m sure we’ve all done it, 10-20 yards, is very unfortunate, and trivial IMO...... but sadly there seems little or no flexibility to these offences....

Very frustrating.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Haha that's a desperate generalisation that completely ignores the facts of the situation. :tosser:

The facts of the case don't really mean much to the customers on the buses.

As I am sure the plight of the customers on the buses possibly meant nothing to the people who drive in bus lanes.

The comment wasn't actually aimed at you or this incident in particular. It was actually aimed at all drivers who go into bus lanes. So I wouldn't take my comment so personally.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Look on the bright side you have saved yourself £50 by not committing this offence in London.

Have a night out on the savings to drown your sorrows, and maybe leave 10 minutes earlier next season so that you can slow down behind the cars infront and only move over when legally entitled to do so.

I agree with your wisdom ie if you’re going to be late leave a bit earlier. But why are so many people desperate to shave a few seconds off their journey by committing crimes like the one detailed in this thread?

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
This has happened to me and a few people I know at various spots along lewes Road, beware!
Also the very spot in your photo changed speed limits last year and the camera turned from a Going through a red light to a Speed camera overnight with no signs or warnings. I ended up going on a speed awareness course and reckon at least 50% of people there got caught at the same spot!

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

You shouldnt need an advance warning to stick to the speed limit :tosser:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Unlucky [MENTION=28232]jonnyrovers[/MENTION] , I’m sure we’ve all done it, 10-20 yards, is very unfortunate, and trivial IMO...... but sadly there seems little or no flexibility to these offences....

Very frustrating.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Problem is if that offer ambiguity on a few yards it won’t take long before people are taking the piss at 100 yds, that’s why the 20mph zones are so effective, many people(not all) happily do 10 over, so in a 30mph zone that’s 40mph which will kill someone if hit [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Problem is if that offer ambiguity on a few yards it won’t take long before people are taking the piss at 100 yds, that’s why the 20mph zones are so effective, many people(not all) happily do 10 over, so in a 30mph zone that’s 40mph which will kill someone if hit [emoji106]

It's also not 'unlucky'.
Yes the sentiment 'of we've all done it' is fine, far be it for me to say otherwise.
But the OP was banged to rights with photographic evidence, of there is nothing unlucky about it

The language surrounding cars and driving is so dismissive and selfish.
We're conditioned to spend our lives either talking of accidents, blaming others, being unlucky, annoyed at a road closure, bemoaning 'stuck in traffic', without ever thinking 'I'm the problem'.

How are we going to improve the UK?
Spend £7bn on the road network.

Thereby creating a whole host of problems and saving none, just to validate my use of my car.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
It's also not 'unlucky'.
Yes the sentiment 'of we've all done it' is fine, far be it for me to say otherwise.
But the OP was banged to rights with photographic evidence, of there is nothing unlucky about it

The language surrounding cars and driving is so dismissive and selfish.
We're conditioned to spend our lives either talking of accidents, blaming others, being unlucky, annoyed at a road closure, bemoaning 'stuck in traffic', without ever thinking 'I'm the problem'.

Thereby creating a whole host of problems and saving none, just to validate my use of my car.
You could always get a bicycle instead.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Some may argue spending an estimated £98bn on an electrified HS railway line from London to the Northern Powerhouse’s is a good idea?

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014

I think the problem with that attitude is that it means (as we see with speeding) all offences, regardless of severity, are treated as equally serious. If someone is caught doing 35 mph on a 30 mph dual carriageway, that's 3 points on the licence. If someone is caught doing 59 mph outside a school at chucking out time, that is also 3 points on the licence. The latter is the more serious offence, but the penalty is the same; and because the powers-that-be believe that the two offences are equally serious, the police set up the cameras on the dual carriageway to catch the 35 mph people, because if they go after the lunatics passing the school at 59 mph they don't catch so many.

This particular offence is a minor technical offence that held up nobody and did not affect the spirit of the law. Why issue a caution like they would if someone was caught shoplifting for the first time? Why, apart from the chance to raise money, is this sort of thing deserving of a financial penalty for a first offence?

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
How is it that these images of cars committing all sorts of offences are always crystal clear , yet still photos of criminals committing burglaries and what not , are completely useless because their so fuzzy wuzzy .

Anyhow, pay up I reckon , as someone has already said the bus in the background will quash any sort of counter arguments.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
Things I have learned today:

1. Some people react to photos of minor motoring offences as if I've posted pics of me beheading kittens.
2. Some people think what I did is 'committing a crime' when it's actually covered by civil law.
3. Some people make EVERYTHING all about bikes.
4. Some people think that driving a car at least once confirms it is THE ONLY mode of transport you EVER use, and that a motorists perspective is the only perspective available to you. This assumption is then used to hold you personally responsible for global warming, all road deaths, and cancer.
5. Thankfully, some people are empathetic to the human condition, measured in their view, and pragmatic with their advice.

Thank you to those of you that fall in to group 5. I'll be parting with £30 and rolling my eyes at myself, while muttering about council entrapment tactics and easy revenue.

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
Some may argue spending an estimated £98bn on an electrified HS railway line from London to the Northern Powerhouse’s is a good idea?

Not sure what you're arguing here. The two are not alternatives so don't spend either and use the money to improve public transport more generally and or provide more charging infrastructure for electric vehicles.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I think the problem with that attitude is that it means (as we see with speeding) all offences, regardless of severity, are treated as equally serious. If someone is caught doing 35 mph on a 30 mph dual carriageway, that's 3 points on the licence. If someone is caught doing 59 mph outside a school at chucking out time, that is also 3 points on the licence. The latter is the more serious offence, but the penalty is the same; and because the powers-that-be believe that the two offences are equally serious, the police set up the cameras on the dual carriageway to catch the 35 mph people, because if they go after the lunatics passing the school at 59 mph they don't catch so many.

The above is totally incorrect.

For driving at 59mph in a 30mph zone would fall into Band C where the penalty can be a driving ban of between 7 days and 56 days or 6 points.
35mph in a 30mph zone would fall into Band A where the penalty is 3 points and a fine up to 50% of your weekly income.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This particular offence is a minor technical offence that held up nobody

and never would which is why the camera is there for one reason and one reason alone - generate money.

If 'they' were actually serious about stamping out illegal use of bus lanes the camera would be down the road on or around that bend.
But it's not because although it might actual stop the practice it wouldn't generate anywhere near as much money.

Absolutely nothing to do with road safety.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
The above is totally incorrect.

For driving at 59mph in a 30mph zone would fall into Band C where the penalty can be a driving ban of between 7 days and 56 days or 6 points.
35mph in a 30mph zone would fall into Band A where the penalty is 3 points and a fine up to 50% of your weekly income.
OK, 35 mph on a dual carriageway is treated as the same offence as 49 mph past a busy school.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
OK, 35 mph on a dual carriageway is treated as the same offence as 49 mph past a busy school.

You might get the same points for the offence of speeding (think you'd get fined quite heavily though) but you would also very likely get charged with reckless endangerment or similar alongside the speeding penalty.

Last edited:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

You're not very good at this are you.

49mph in a 30mph zone is Band B which is a driving ban of 7 to 28 days or 4 to 6 penalty points and a fine of up to 100% of your weekly income.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here