Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Another PCN Advice Thread With Photo's And Hope And Disbelief And Injustice...

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
It's pathetic and petty to pull you up for that. You haven't done anything dangerous and you weren't trying to gain an advantage.

But for the sake of £30 I'd just pay it to avoid the hassle.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
When did we become such a society, forcing someone to pay £30 when there was nothing really to answer for? And someone said £30 isnt much or some such, and some on here said £20 isn't much. Really, when did this happen? The OP has my sympathy. Personally though id pay whilst muttering dark things

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Damned annoying but probably more cost effective to take the hit.
Interesting road markings though - looks like traffic is being directed into the cycle lane! ( but less confusing than the shambles of a money grabbing enterprise at Steine Gardens with their Bus Gate).

You say bike lane I say - death trap.

Narrow.
Unsegregated.
Next to a bus lane.

Unsurprisingly unused.

Why would anybody feel safe on that bit of tarmac?
It certainly doesn't make anyone think 'im fed up with adding to the traffic, getting extra tax fines, I'm gonna use that bespoke safe smooth bike lane'.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
giphy (1).gif

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
When did we become such a society, forcing someone to pay £30 when there was nothing really to answer for? And someone said £30 isnt much or some such, and some on here said £20 isn't much. Really, when did this happen? The OP has my sympathy. Personally though id pay whilst muttering dark things

The whole set up just reeks of 'easy money'.

The camera is only there as an money maker, that's somewhat disingenuous.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
There's a similar bus lane camera on Preston Road just before the junction with Preston Drove when heading south. Must rake in a fortune and most caught by it would just be travelling a few metres in the bus lane to turn left and get past the queue at the lights. Sadly the law is the law and it says don't drive in the bus lane.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Open question to everyone, the little diamond on the road just before the arrow, does that signify the point where a car can enter the bus lane? I'm sure I've heard something like that before, but genuinely can't remember what is. Secondly, if that's not what it's for, what is the purpose of that diamond?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Because if they took the camera away, people definitely wouldn't drive in the bus lane, would they ?

True, it's not like we haven't got evidence of people doing that with the camera in place.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Is that you in a Bus Lane with 2 Buses behind you ?

Nothing worse than being on a bus that can't keep up with its schedule and makes people late for work because drivers of cars use the bus lanes for their convenience

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Open question to everyone, the little diamond on the road just before the arrow, does that signify the point where a car can enter the bus lane? I'm sure I've heard something like that before, but genuinely can't remember what is. Secondly, if that's not what it's for, what is the purpose of that diamond?

Think you’re correct - the diamond signals the end of the lane restriction (so don’t go into the lane before it, otherwise it’ll cost you £30).

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Yeah that's a fair point but bear in mind this all occurred at about 10mph. The camera is attached to traffic lights that were red at the time. Approaching traffic lights at low speed in lane 1 will often require you to pass vehicles that are in lane 2.

Also the yellow cam at those lights is a dual speed red light cam, I know several people who have gone through a green at 40 mph and got the dreaded ticket!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
There's a similar bus lane camera on Preston Road just before the junction with Preston Drove when heading south. Must rake in a fortune and most caught by it would just be travelling a few metres in the bus lane to turn left and get past the queue at the lights. Sadly the law is the law and it says don't drive in the bus lane.
I'm sure that's why the camera is where it is. It isn't because it is believed that driving for 10 yards in a bus lane to turn left is deeply sinful or is holding up traffic at all. It is because they know drivers will use the last 10 yards of the bus lane to save time, and that's where the money is to be raised. If they put the camera fifty yards up the road they would only catch the drivers who are genuinely using the bus lane illegally; and that's not the point at all.

They had this in Blackburn a few years ago (may still do, for a ll I know, but I don't go there and I don't read the local paper). There is virtually no defence against the camera evidence. People appealed and lost on the grounds of the lane markings were covered in snow, moving aside for an ambulance with blue lights, only one wheel over the line a yard frm the edge - all turned down. I think the only valid defence would be moving aside for a police car with blue flashing lights, because that technically counts as the policeman advising you that you can disobey the law.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Also the yellow cam at those lights is a dual speed red light cam, I know several people who have gone through a green at 40 mph and got the dreaded ticket!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
That's fair enough. They're asking for trouble and deserve to get it.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
I got the exact same further down the same road at the turning under the viaduct a couple of years ago.

Bang to rights, pay the fine :shrug:

I work up Moulsecoomb Way, and drive the Lewis Road every day, turning up the road under the Viaduct. The number of people I see sneaking a few meters every morning, and I think - there's another £30.......When they first installed the camera's, a number from work got caught, and it is literally a few meters that they get you on. Council made hundreds of thousands from it.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Are people doing it to "sneak a few metres" or "save time"?

I suspect most drivers will naturally get their lane change in as early as possible when approaching a hazard, if it's safe to do so. That's what we're taught in any other situation.

The problem with that junction is that it doesn't leave much space to turn left before the light, forcing cars to change lane at the last second at very low speed or from a standing start.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here