Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anna Swallow's Argus Column

eiregull

Jul 15, 2003
ireland
Simster said:
Eire, the way I see it, you abused harty so he abused you back. I wouldn't say you hold the high ground on this one.

Fair point, allthough i am prepared to expand on my original statement, but how some one who has never even heard me speak, can make such a quick evaluation of my character does confuse me

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Yes, but that doesn't actually answer my question. In the manner of your original thread, you say that you were a season ticket holder at Gillingham but isn't that living in the past ?

I mean, did you ever see any of the people you mentioned in your original thread actually play ?

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
I seem to remember, even through extremely distorted beer googles on Sat night in the Standard that Lush is definately a lady !!

eiregull

Jul 15, 2003
ireland
you asked me how long id been following the albion so no its not living in the past. I saw foster play but none of the others. My point was really about the fact that too many albion fans go on and on and on about wardy and the mullery/bamber era, which can get a tad boring seeing as it was over 20 years ago, and really does the club no favours ' hanging on to our past etc '. Especially as we have our own heroes now with a double championship winning team ( which is incedentally twice as much silverware as that team ever won.)

H block

Jul 10, 2003
Worthing
Steve Foster would go into most ``All time Albion elevens`` from fans who have been watching the Albion during the last 25 years.If of course you were only ten at the time when he was at his peak, rarely saw him play and you took your stance from others and their respectful positions( in your eyes) I would say you were hardly in a position to judge one of the best defenders ever to wear a Brighton shirt.We only got to the cup final because of Fosters heroics at Highbury especially his clearing scissors kick from underneath his own crossbar late on in the game.As for the young lady who writes for the Sports Argus......well she would hardly figure in a top ten Albion writer of all time list would she.

eiregull

Jul 15, 2003
ireland
i never said he wasnt a great albion player, but the past is the past. However he wouldnt make my all time albion eleven which is as follows.

beeney

gatting cullip keown mayo

penney wilson robinson

byrne

saunders zamora

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I reckon you must be about my age Eire! Just too young to remember Peter Ward but wax lyrical about Robinson and Ryan and then Connor, Penney and Saunders?

Here's mine going with who I've seen: (and I'm cheating with Keown really!):

Moseley

Gatting Cullip Keown Hutchings

Penney Wilson Worthington

Byrne
Saunders Zamora

(I reckon Mark Gall would have become an Albion legend if it hadn't been for injury)

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Eire Gull call me what you like when it comes to the Albion but when you start getting political, ie branding me Right Wing, I take offence. No quick evaluation of you required because if you accuse me of being right wing you might as well call me racist, which with a wife of romany origin I'm certainly not, and sorry if you don't like it but that in my book comments like yours do make you a twat.
P.S. I'm not an insomniac, Funeral Directing is a 24/7 occupation.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
eiregull said:
Especially as we have our own heroes now with a double championship winning team ( which is incedentally twice as much silverware as that team ever won.)

Not being picky but twice nothing is nothing, not two.

Who am I kidding, of course I'm being picky.

Stumpy Tim

I've been watching the Albion regularly since 1990, but remember some of the team in the 80's so my team would be:

Kuipers

Chivers, Cullip, Foster, Gatting

Nelson Chapman Wilkins

Byrne
Saunders, Zamora

Really struggling for midfielders!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
eiregull said:
you asked me how long id been following the albion so no its not living in the past. I saw foster play but none of the others. My point was really about the fact that too many albion fans go on and on and on about wardy and the mullery/bamber era, which can get a tad boring seeing as it was over 20 years ago, and really does the club no favours ' hanging on to our past etc '. Especially as we have our own heroes now with a double championship winning team ( which is incedentally twice as much silverware as that team ever won.)

You know, I can't see any problem with looking back with great affection to the days when the top teams in the country graced our home pitch, however, doesn't mean that people like me are living in the past. I can't see a whole lot of point of making a big thing about the ' I was at Gillingham' stance. Whilst the black days at the end of the last century sould not be ignored that's not a time that brings any pleasure to my long liason with the Albion.

Think that you need to consider that their people here who have seen the good and the bad but we still look to the future which pretty much begins and ends at Falmer.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I hereby declare that I will never make a jokey comments regarding women as it is perfectly clear none of them have a sence of humour. I will not retract my comments on my hero Foster.

From now on I think I'll just stick the NSC naps challenge each day.

Thank you and goodbye.

Gareth Glover said:
I hereby declare that I will never make a jokey comments regarding women as it is perfectly clear none of them have a sence of humour. I will not retract my comments on my hero Foster.

From now on I think I'll just stick the NSC naps challenge each day.

Thank you and goodbye.

We do have a sense of humour but IMHO you do think that a lot of women know nothing about football.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Think Gareth was extecting the urine BB. He got a mauling himself after his admission of liking the Will Young CD.

bhaexpress said:
Think Gareth was extecting the urine BB. He got a mauling himself after his admission of liking the Will Young CD.

Not wishing to get into an argument, but GG always says I know nothing about football (and I think he does mean it) when I disagree with him and back up my comments with reasons why.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Oh yeah, well, most of us know better BB. But, like Dwayne, don't bother to rise to it, I mean, this is a Will Young fan ! Never mind football, clearly Gareth doesn't know sod all about music !

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
BrightonBird said:
Not wishing to get into an argument, but GG always says I know nothing about football (and I think he does mean it) when I disagree with him and back up my comments with reasons why.

I wouldn't worry BB Quite a few of GG's opinions on football are at best controversial. His championing of Tony Adams and his opinion that Mark Yeates is at best an average 2nd division player are the two most recent ones.

I think he's a wind up merchant personally, but at least he's an amusing one, unlike some others.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here