Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anna Swallow's Argus Column

Girl Friday said:
He missed a game because he fell over and injured himself at The King’s Club on a Friday night. I was about 10 at the time and can clearly remember his behaviour being a topic around our table. People I respect didn’t care for him. Even though players are just passing through our club, they should love it as much as we do. That’s all.

So one incident. Is that it? It seems to me you're only remembering this because he was bad mouthed at your place for it. There must've been several other players that have missed games for the reasons similar to that, especially back then as drinking was very much part of the culture, but you don't want to, or can't name them.

As for players loving the club as much as we do, you need to get down from cloud cuckoo land for a bit. Wake up and smell the java. These players are professionals. They are paid to do a job. It's unlikely that any of them will have as much passion for the club as we do, unless they are local lads, as they would have grown up supporting a different team. The best we can ask for is that they give 100% when they're on the pitch and earn their money. As far as I'm concerned Foster always did that, and that's a damn sight more than you can say about some of the players we've had.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Tubthumper said:
What about my query....do I get a response?

I'm afraid this is NSC nowadays. Anna Swallow is hardly the voice of the terraces but she writes intelligently about club politics. The only time that she annoyed me was when she made a number of negative comments about Micky Adams. Probably the Greatest Ever Yorkshireman was a bit too laddish and dressing room banterish for the fair Anna.

TT Are you the original Tubthumper?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Girl Friday said:
I don’t know Andy Naylor.

Clearly you're not an NSC regular are you ? Mr Naylor is about as popular as a Palarse fan with B.O. on here.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I am the original Tubthumper. Do I know you?

bullshit detector

Back in the garage
Nov 18, 2003
For heaven's sake, what's with this self deprecation bit that so many people in ths country get so worked up about? If you write a column, you're writing your opinions, your feelings, your experiences - in every sense you're writing about yourself as you connect with the subject - in this case, the Albion. Good on you, Anna.

If you don't like yourself, you can't expect anyone else to like you!!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
bullshit detector said:
For heaven's sake, what's with this self deprecation bit that so many people in ths country get so worked up about? If you write a column, you're writing your opinions, your feelings, your experiences - in every sense you're writing about yourself as you connect with the subject - in this case, the Albion. Good on you, Anna.

If you don't like yourself, you can't expect anyone else to like you!!

You'll do anything for a blow job won't you ? :D :D

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Anna, you asked what I thought you should write about. Carry on as you are, except remove most, if not all, reference to your life-style. That's all. I don't want to hear about you having lunch at The Tin Drum, dating footballers or living in Zurich. If it added something to the prose then fair enough.....but it doesn't. At times it seems like you are bragging.

Hi Anna / Girl Friday - I don't read the Argus so can't comment on your views but everyone has a different opinion. You said earlier you prefer FDM, well I prefer Roberts.

This is not meant to be rude about Gareth Glover, but will come out this way anyway! Every time I have disagreed with Gareth concerning BHAFC, he has turned it into a "your a girl and don't know anything". And meant it. Ignore him, a lot of people jest on here and sometimes the amount of football info takes a back seat.

Having never read your column, I cannot comment on your views, but I think it's nice to have a spread about the Albion and carry on with writing your views - that's bound to be a large part of journalism!

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I also remember that Foster was caught p*ss*ng on the carpet at Hove dogs one afternoon. He was with a group of mates (including some players I think). At the time that it was just the sort of thing that footballers could get away with, whereas you or I would get arrested and heavily fined.

Yes, he was arrogant and thought he was the team leader, but that goes with being a good player. When he was playing I didn't think his love for (or commitment to) the club was any less than 100% - and I'd say the same for Horton.

Foster was one of the best players ever to play for the club - after all, we haven't had too many players in an England World Cup squad. Horton was more of a club player, who was a great leader. Both would be high on my all-time list of favourites, and I'd have to think long and hard about the order.

Just a question - how many 'player of the year' awards did each get? I remember Nobby getting one in 1977, when we got promoted from the old 3rd Div. Perhaps that's the best measure of how good they were in the eyes of the only jury that really matters.

Kenhead

Oct 1, 2003
Brighton
As quoted from the front page of today's arsegus!!

"Des said it was thanks to the divison two strugglers that he became a tv presenter"

Struggerling?!?! :angry: :angry: :angry: We're third in the table! grrr bloody arsegus!

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
As a child Steve Foster was my Idol and always will be, at school he used to take our 1st team training sessions (well he turned up) a lot more than can be said of the current crop of players (Charlie Oatway excepted).

Obviously as a youngster I didnt know the man, but the people I respected DID care for him, as did, I think the vast majority of Albion fans

I read the column, as I have always bought the Sports Argus, now really like many others out of habit and even had it sent to me when I lived in Scotland. The standard of the 8 page section has really went downhill over the past few seasons, and I think the standard of Nathan 'me and my mates' Jones section, totally devalues the Albion 8 pages anyway.

I have never liked Anna Swallow's style of writing as it not reflective of the Albion support as a whole, but I would not question her loyality and knowledge of matters Albion.

My newsagent told me the other day that if sales didnt pick up this would be the last season of the Sports Argus as its just not cost effective anymore, so this may be the last year we have to put up with Ms Swallows slightly tedious column and Natahan Jones utter bildge about Del Bosque or whoever.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Girl Friday said:
Yawn. Grammer spelling was a joke.
Marvellous. A prime example of why you can NEVER win an argument with a woman. This should be on that 'NSC Classic Quotes' thread.

:lolol:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
BB - don't take everything so seriously. I say things in jest, you don't know me you clearly don't understand my sense of humour and your insults are a bit harsh and unfounded.

I had a little joke at the start of the thread but all this us girls together stuff is rubbish.

To be honest I don't often get the Sports Argus anymore so can't really comment on Anna's recent columns but I did like Roz's column's which is all I said.

I did get very annoyed and am still fuming about the slagging off of Steve Foster and I will defend my Albion hero against someone who it appears never saw play. If they did they would realise what he did for the Albion and retract their statements.

" they played better in the cup final without Foster, yes they did but so did all the team and without Fosters towering performance in the semi final would not have been there in the first place " is just one example.

I was asked why my hero was Foster which I answered and then had to put up with insults and lies against the great man.

I realise the girlies feel duty bound to stick together but I am really pissed off with the whole thread.

Goodnight !. :censored:

eiregull

Jul 15, 2003
ireland
'stevie foster stevie foster what a difference you have made'

Personally couldn't care less about foster, lawro, ward , horton etc. Will you all stop living in the past.

It does bemuse me how the three people that get the privelege of writing in the argus managed it.

Naylor (f**cking stoke fan)
Hart ( right wing self opinoinated drivel monger)
Swallow (spreader of frivolous tittle tattle)

Surely the argus can find a young passionate fan, with a modicum of writing ability, vast football knowledge. Who is a master of astute and interesting football insight.

Like me for instance. :clap: :clap:

nb, some of this post is serious, you decide which bits. :ohmy:

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
All getting a bit out of hand on here, Anna is a very good friend of mine and I think she is a very good writer.
Be it on NSC, the Argus or the BBC you won't please everyone but just because she's a 'fit bird' doesn't mean she isn't allowed to have an opinion on the Albion.
By the way Anna Fozzie is still my hero and although he lived like Oliver Reed off the pitch he never let the Albion down on it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here