Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anna Swallow's Argus Column

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I might actually buy the Sports Argus this week - I'm sure Anna will have something interesting to say about the unreconstructed MCP anoraks on NSC!

We ought to be grateful though, at least Anna is an Albion fan, when the Sports Argus first started it used to have a column by a Mr Angry - who was a Palace fan from Crawley! His view during the Gillingham years was that the Albion should just be allowed to die.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I hereby declare:

1. I like the new Will Young single
2. I am a David Blaine Fan
3. I would rather have had Tony Adams than Mark McGhee

Have a good day.

GG

Rambo

Don't Push me
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
eiregull said:
pure interest ??

since i was four, allthough i was six when attending my first game. I was a season ticket holder at gillingham, and still am despite living over 500 miles away in ireland ( allthough only now attend 10/15 games a season due to cost.) is that okay.

Why are you a season ticket holder at Gillingham still?
We dont play there anymore!

:D

Harty said:
if you accuse me of being right wing you might as well call me racist, which with a wife of romany origin I'm certainly not

It's possible you have right wing sympathies, you actively encourage and associate yourself with a known racist (FG) by inviting him onto the phone-in most weeks.

Fozzie is a legend by the way.

xx

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Girl Friday said:
Maybe blokes don’t like girls writing about football?

This was the only thing that pissed me off about this thread - to intimate that this has anything to do with who you are is denegrating yourself and insulting the men around here....

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's all gone a bit off topic. I have no issue with Anna other than I find her column often strays from football and into her social life which I do not find interesting. That's all.

Also, Fozzie is a legend. I can empathise with Anna and her thoughts on his lifestyle though. I recall, as a schoolboy, being shocked when I heard he had been banned from The Corals for urinating in public. I even told him this a few years back and he said he felt embarrased and apologised.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Tubthumper said:
It's all gone a bit off topic. I have no issue with Anna other than I find her column often strays from football and into her social life which I do not find interesting. That's all.

Also, Fozzie is a legend. I can empathise with Anna and her thoughts on his lifestyle though. I recall, as a schoolboy, being shocked when I heard he had been banned from The Corals for urinating in public. I even told him this a few years back and he said he felt embarrased and apologised.

In fairness though Tubs, there are those on here who have no life and thus may find Anna's snippets about her social life interesting.

Oh, I don't read the Anus as I have said previously. Whether I have a life or not is a moot point.

eiregull

Jul 15, 2003
ireland
Rambo said:
Why are you a season ticket holder at Gillingham still?
We dont play there anymore!

:D

with humour like that you should have a permanent slot at the comedy store :nono: :nono:

Dandyman

In London village.
Simster said:
Eire, the way I see it, you abused harty so he abused you back. I wouldn't say you hold the high ground on this one.

I seem to remember Mr Hart calling those of us who went to the AFC Dons game, last season, bobble hat wearing anoraks. Do I get a free chance to abuse him ? :salute:

Dandyman said:
I seem to remember Mr Hart calling those of us who went to the AFC Dons game, last season, bobble hat wearing anoraks. Do I get a free chance to abuse him ? :salute:
You're taking his comments out of context, Dandyman.

Which is one of the problems with the print media. It's the easiest thing in the world to attack an opinion expressed by a journalist, because all you have to do is be selective with your quotes.

Harty is much better as a radio phenomenon, or as an NSC poster - because we get the chance to respond immediately. Wait a few days and the opportunity is lost. Which is why there is rarely much of a constructive discussion about anything that Harty or Anna Swallow or anyone else puts in an Argus column (or a fanzine, for that matter).

I remember the AFC Wimbledon debate very well, because Harty had me sitting next to him for his post-match phone in on the previous Saturday. He did mention bobble hats, but only to provoke a "heated debate" (c) Mrs Merton. The dirty trick he played at the time was asking Charlie Oatway to join in and then inviting me to tell Charlie to his face why the "anoraks" would not be turning up at Selhurst Park to get behind the Albion.

All good radio. But no cause for abuse to be dished up twelve months later. We're all Albion supporters. And we're better Albion supporters because we can ride through these heated debates.

Dandyman

In London village.
Lord Bracknell said:
You're taking his comments out of context, Dandyman.

Which is one of the problems with the print media. It's the easiest thing in the world to attack an opinion expressed by a journalist, because all you have to do is be selective with your quotes.

Harty is much better as a radio phenomenon, or as an NSC poster - because we get the chance to respond immediately. Wait a few days and the opportunity is lost. Which is why there is rarely much of a constructive discussion about anything that Harty or Anna Swallow or anyone else puts in an Argus column (or a fanzine, for that matter).

I remember the AFC Wimbledon debate very well, because Harty had me sitting next to him for his post-match phone in on the previous Saturday. He did mention bobble hats, but only to provoke a "heated debate" (c) Mrs Merton. The dirty trick he played at the time was asking Charlie Oatway to join in and then inviting me to tell Charlie to his face why the "anoraks" would not be turning up at Selhurst Park to get behind the Albion.

All good radio. But no cause for abuse to be dished up twelve months later. We're all Albion supporters. And we're better Albion supporters because we can ride through these heated debates.

Fair play. As a London based Seagull I don't get to hear/see all Harty's output, it was just something I saw in print at the time and seemed a bit "off".

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
Chemical Brother hand on heart I did not know FG was racist nor as he ever made any comments like that on my show, if he had I would have sounded the coded alarm and Colon cuts him off.

As for Fozzie Herne Hill the pin Bullshitti to the wall tale is true but not the best story concerning the duo. That is when Bellotti came into the Exec Club bar in Nov 1995, he was still very bullish about the situation Fozzie was enjoying a pint with a number of us at the bar, Bellotti came over and tried to engage in conversation to which Fozzie replied, " David with whats going on at the club you are one of two things, either you are the most intelligent man to ever walk through the front door of the club or the biggest **** ever associated with the Albion, and David I have to tell you from where I'm standing you don't look that clever"
Bellotti gurgled into his drink and made a sharp exit!!!
A 100% Goldstone Golden Moment!!!!!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I've just read Anna's column in last Saturday's SPorts Argus and can't see why so many poepl are bothered about it.

Have I missed something ?

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Harty said:

As for Fozzie Herne Hill the pin Bullshitti to the wall tale is true but not the best story concerning the duo. That is when Bellotti came into the Exec Club bar in Nov 1995, he was still very bullish about the situation Fozzie was enjoying a pint with a number of us at the bar, Bellotti came over and tried to engage in conversation to which Fozzie replied, " David with whats going on at the club you are one of two things, either you are the most intelligent man to ever walk through the front door of the club or the biggest **** ever associated with the Albion, and David I have to tell you from where I'm standing you don't look that clever"
Bellotti gurgled into his drink and made a sharp exit!!!
A 100% Goldstone Golden Moment!!!!!

:D :D :D

Brovian said:
We ought to be grateful though, at least Anna is an Albion fan, when the Sports Argus first started it used to have a column by a Mr Angry - who was a Palace fan from Crawley! His view during the Gillingham years was that the Albion should just be allowed to die.

Heh, heh - I know Mr Angry quite well and I'm delighted to say he had a beautiful baby daughter born in the Royal Sussex a few weeks ago and I'm sure Little Miss Angry is already talking more sense about footy than Dad.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here