Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anna Swallow's Argus Column

Girl Friday said:
I’m embarrased by your grammer
I didn’t like Foster, maybe you didn’t like Perry Digweed, what does it matter? I rate Piercy but not Mayo. I think FDM is better than Roberts. I’m a fan who is lucky enough to write a column, big deal

But not embarrassed by his grammar?

If you're going to pick holes at least make sure you haven't f***ed it up yourself.

EDIT: Beaten to it!

You're right that Foster was a pisshead, but that was the nature of the times. To say that the players like Lawro, Towner and the like weren't on the lash is naive at best. Most of the team from 81 on until about 85 were regulars in the old Fishermans club (which is no longer there) every Sunday lunchtime. Back then it wasn't looked down upon like it is now.

Last edited:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Girl Friday said:
I’m embarrased by your grammer
I

I shouldn't really get involved but....

do you mean "embarrassed by your grammar". Nothing personal... just thought it was ironic. :D

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Anna if you write such controversial remarks ou've got to expect a bit of stick for it. I get stick all the time for my views and I love it !.

Steve Foster was a superb central defender who was greatly responsible for us staying for 4 years in the top flight and getting to the FAc Cup final. He was also hugely important in us staying in the league in his second stint and played 3 times for England when they did not conced a goal.

He liked a drink but that never affected his performances.

Also I am hardly in a position to criticse someone for liking a drink.

Perhaps you could express your view on Fozzie in your next column.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I rated Fozzie as a "run through brick walls, never say die player". His distribution was appaling and he was a bit of a hoof merchant. Certainly not in the same league as Mark Lawrenson (spit) unfortunately. He was also a piss artist along with Michael Robinson and Teddy Maybank, allegedly

Girl Friday

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
Yawn. Grammer spelling was a joke.
His drinking caused him to miss many games. I just think The Albion deserved more. Not my kind of player that’s all. Way too flash. Maybe blokes don’t like girls writing about football?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Anna

Sorry about this but to my knowledge Fozzie never missed a single game because of his drinking. You are deriding my Albion hero without just cause and incorrect information. How many games did he miss due to his drinking ?.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Fozzie was never flash just a totally commited to the cause inspirational captain. He was a wonderful servant to the Albion and to say the Albion deserved more is outrageous.

Girl Friday said:
Yawn. Grammer spelling was a joke.
His drinking caused him to miss many games. I just think The Albion deserved more. Not my kind of player that’s all. Way too flash. Maybe blokes don’t like girls writing about football?

I have no problem with women writing about football. I'd argue with you if you were a bloke and wrote the same thing.

Your opinion is as valid as any given here. The fact that yours is published makes you an easier target to be shot at. Look how often the Argus is criticised on here for lazy, uninformed writing.

As far as Foster is concerned, yes he may have missed a few games, and they may or may not have been down to his social life, but he is by no means the biggest offender that the club has had, and yet his performances on the pitch far outweigh his indiscretions off it.

Girl Friday

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
He missed a game because he fell over and injured himself at The King’s Club on a Friday night. I was about 10 at the time and can clearly remember his behaviour being a topic around our table. People I respect didn’t care for him. Even though players are just passing through our club, they should love it as much as we do. That’s all.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
As somebody said earlier, that was the lifestyle of the time. Bamber would have encouraged it and possibly Mullery too. I never doubted Foster's love for the club at the time nor his effort. If either of the two players lost their edge, as far as the Albion was concerned, it was Nobby in the end. Both are legends though without doubt and should be remembered as such.

Micky Thomas anyone?

(where's the grammar check?)

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I didn't like Foster either and I am old enough to remember him.

He thought too highly of himself and I thought we played better at Wembley without him.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Girl Friday said:
Mandy who?

Andy 'what a shit stirring twat but I can't help it because I come from a toilet called Stoke' Naylor.

The combination of Foster and Lawrenson was IMO, the greatest central defensive combination I've seen since watching the Albion. One complemented the other. Fosters comitment to the Albion cause ( on the field ) could NEVER be questioned, including his second spell at the club when the clouds were starting to gather over the Goldstone.

Whilst his intentions may have been good, getting involved with Purdew the health farm owner who allegedly had millions to invest into the club, providing he had sole ownership was misguided.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here