Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ankergren

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
I have been saying all season we need a keeper (on here), yes Casper is a good keeper but at this level you need more than good. Last season his distribution was fantastic this season it has been poor, far too many times he has given the ball away cheaply (including the 3rd goal).

As a keeper he just is not positive controlling the 6 yard box, he really needs to boss it more and come for the ball and not stay on the line or just flap.

Seeing Beeney at the Amex last night makes you think "now there's a man who controlled the whole penalty area".

Sorry Casper but maybe it is time to look for a replacement.

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
That was Ankergren's and the whole defence's worst performance of the season so far. As a unit they were poor in every department; Dunk and Greer looking uncharacteristically nervy, Painter and Calderon looked slow and got turned too easily, and Ankergren was exposed and at least partly at fault for the first and third goals. I don't think this is a bad thing though, probably a bit of a wake-up call. I'd like to see Vincelot given a run at left back. Having said all that though I agree with some previous posters that the most annoying thing was Ankergren's reaction and Leeds love-in at the final whistle.
Hopefully Poyet gave him as much a bollocking for that as his performance, not clever in front of your home fans when you've just f***ed-up.

Absolutely this. The defence looked nervy from the start, work needed. As for Caspers love-in with the Leeds players at full time, have some f*cking humility mate.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
The last goal was his fault.

99% of the time he rolls it out to one of our players, yet the time when we need to keep it he f***ing well kicks it straight to their keeper.

Unbelievable.

TB

Exactly

The problem is in our side the goalkeeper has to be able to play football. There aren't too many of those around that are also as good in the rest of their game.

Play football !!! He gets the ball passed to him from wide with no-one around him, he then passes it back out wide. For gawds sake my neighbours dog could do that.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Casper, as i've said before is an excellent shot stopper and ball player but flaps at just about everything that comes into the box. He is competent at this level though, but we need a decent reserve keeper to put pressure on him. I have to say, Brezovan is one of the worst keepers i have ever seen at this club - and that includes the likes of Andy Petterson and Mark Omerod!!

Zamoracomehome

Apr 12, 2010
Hove
He just frustrates me so much. Stupid mistakes, silly decisions. I was livid when he hoofed the ball long at the end of the match, giving away possession. We only needed to keep hold of the ball for 2 minutes.

I understand that Gus likes that he is comfortable with the ball at his feet, but I'm sure he hadn't played in a team where he has to be involved in play so much, so he had to adapt, as could a better keeper. Players like Joe Lewis at Peterborough aren't playing, he'd be great, as would Scott Loach at Watford. Only area of the team I have a real problem with!

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
He cost us last night. L1 he got away with it. Costing us points. Decent enough but think we need someone to push him

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
The problem is in our side the goalkeeper has to be able to play football. There aren't too many of those around that are also as good in the rest of their game. Ankergren isn't perfect, but im happier with him than most other keepers I can think of.

Concur

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Hmmmm, don't get me wrong. I love the guy but just think he makes too many mistakes.

Came out too early for Liverpools 2nd and now leeds' 3rd and also makes many notable mistakes which get pushed away by how good we've been this season.

Thoughts

Agreed.

minnieme

Sep 10, 2006
Brighton
I still fail to see how it's the keepers fault a ball travels the whole length of the pitch and into the opposition box to an unmarked player who gets a shot off.

Sure he kicked it too long and to the opposition keeper but there's 10 other players in between him and the goals on the way back.

Goals 1 and 3 happened because we failed to clear the ball out of the box the first time.

I think its rubbish to say the 3rd goal is all down to Ankergren.

how about the fact the we had no players in the leeds half it went straight to thier keeper & cost us the match?

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
I can kind of deal with Ankergren being a bit shit with his 'keeping' because he offers so much more to our overall team play. What really pissed me off was when he walked off the pitch hugging every single Leeds United staff member and player as though they were his long lost brother!

Casper, you just made a huge mistake, how about a bit of of a low key exit and doing your high fives later - Not in front of the west stand!

Anyway, rant over!

Wonder how many of his Leeds player mates had the honesty to say to him "Thanks for the 2 points Casper, we know you tried to make it 3!"

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
The last goal was his fault.

99% of the time he rolls it out to one of our players, yet the time when we need to keep it he f***ing well kicks it straight to their keeper.

Unbelievable.

TB

Spot on - as soon as he hoofed that clearance I questioned it then seconds later we've conceded and he's gone awol to close down their player when it was so unnecessary :shrug:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
In all seriousness what other keepers are there? Hard to find a good one ask Arsenal. As he might be the worst skilled player on the team not sure who we could get that could do better. Anytime a goal goes in you will look at the keeper. So lets look at the 3 goals tonight. GOAL 1: unlucky deflection left him out of position and was unable to cover the rebound. GOAL 2: unstopable. GOAL 3: mistake of booting the ball upfield leads to Leeds attack which he charges down leaving the goal wide open and a straightforward finish. 1 out of 3 goals was he truely accountable for. Not so bad after all.

Goal one came from the defenders standing off and giving leeds too much room.

Goal two came from a leeds ball played over defence that was going into the area where 99% of goalkeepers would come for it, and all defenders expect a keeper to come for it,Casper hasn't come for it and greer loses it easily.

The third came from booting the ball up field needlessly.

He was, in my mind and those around me, responsible for the second and third.

Casper, as i've said before is an excellent shot stopper and ball player but flaps at just about everything that comes into the box. He is competent at this level though, but we need a decent reserve keeper to put pressure on him. I have to say, Brezovan is one of the worst keepers i have ever seen at this club - and that includes the likes of Andy Petterson and Mark Omerod!!

What sort of quality is "shot stopper"? This isn't meant to be directed at you but that has got to be one of the worst phrases to describe the abilities of a goal keeper. 'Shot stopper' is the job. It's like Saying as a singer mariah carey is a good vocalist. It's simply another way of giving his job title.

And lets be honest, unless you are making saves that most goalkeepers wouldn't you're not really a great shot stopper, you're just an average keeper. When most of the goals you concede go straight through you or leave you rooted to the spot, can you really be considered a great shot stopper?

It's a nonsense phrase.

As for Brezovan being the worst keeper you've seen at this club, do me a favour. His stats are comparable to Casper. As an all round keeper, there isn't a lot to choose between them, the big difference is Casper's strength (playing with the ball at his feet) is Brezovan's weakness (though I think he would get better if he had a run in the side rather than playing 9 competitive games in 16 months), and it is a key component to the way we currently play, which makes Casper the better choice for the team.

As to the point earlier in the thread about not many keepers being able to play with the ball at their feet, I disagree. I think a lot more keepers than we realise can, they're just not asked to. The Leeds keeper seemed comfortable with it at his feet, for instance.

Goalkeeper debates on here are always tainted. If you criticise the keeper some will accuse you of wanting Kuipers back. If you criticise a keeper for the mistakes he makes, you're accused of hating him, wanting him dropped and sold etc. when sometimes you're just highlighting an error.

For me, I think people who criticise Casper for his inability on crosses are wrong. It's not crosses that are his problem, it's his decision making when coming for a ball. He doesn't come for balls that he should, comes for them when he shouldn't is easily drawn away from goal following the ball rather than protecting his goal, and his tactic with corners scares me. He stands there and most times will deliberately run into an opposition player in an effort to buy a freekick rather than defend the goal and win the ball.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
Almost 24 hours later, I'm more philosophical. Ankergreen is a really good keeper and it was a well earned point. Please, just don't do it again, Casper.

NorthStandN1A

Aug 1, 2011
Hove
Goal one came from the defenders standing off and giving leeds too much room.

Goal two came from a leeds ball played over defence that was going into the area where 99% of goalkeepers would come for it, and all defenders expect a keeper to come for it,Casper hasn't come for it and greer loses it easily.

The third came from booting the ball up field needlessly.

He was, in my mind and those around me, responsible for the second and third.

Goal 1 was because Bridcutt missed his tackle on White leaving Leeds a low cross in the box which was blocked twice then luckily fell for Leeds. Keeper had no chance.
Goal 2 the long ball was Greers to clear, absolutely no way he should have come for it. Greer failed to clear it, then Bridcutt failed to close down McCormack who shot a wonder strike.
Goal 3 was largely due to the hoof then charge down which in my opinion was his fault.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I still fail to see how it's the keepers fault a ball travels the whole length of the pitch and into the opposition box to an unmarked player who gets a shot off.

Sure he kicked it too long and to the opposition keeper but there's 10 other players in between him and the goals on the way back.

So, it wasn't casper giving the ball away cheaply, it was the fault of the rest of the team failing to win it back?

You don't honestly believe all 10 of our outfield players could have stopped the ball getting to our box, do you? Their keeper had the ball and was able to lump it over the majority of our team, making those who had pushed up the field and got ready for our usual playing from the back, and those who went out wide for the same reason, completely irrelevant, leaving us exposed.

If Casper doesn't give their keeper the ball, that doesn't happen. We retain possession and they don't score because they don't have the ball. To suggest giving the ball to the opposition means it's the rest of the teams fault for not winning it back is, imo, a ridiculous argument.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
Have discussed the last two games with a number of mates in the pub who saw them on TV. I live near Canterbury so none of them is an Albion supporter.

They are all seriously impressed by our performances, yesterday's first half apart. Lots of compliments but, on the subject of Angkergren -

"You have a number of outstanding players at Brighton but the 'keeper isn't one of them."

"I can't have you as potential promotion candidates with Ankgergren in the side."

"Your keeper has been shaky in both those games. He makes some bizarre decisions, his positioning isn't good and his isn't an athletic keeper. You need a more dynamic keeper."

No-one disagreed with any of this! I didn't say what my opinion on him is but these comments came from complete neutrals. Gave me food for thought!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here