Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ankergren

Prodigal Son

Getting older by the day
Sep 21, 2009
Sussex
There is no doubt in my mind that Anker's decision to "hoof" the ball was a great factor in Leeds scoring their third goal. They had their tails up and hadn't given the game up. However, our defence are also partly at fault as they were "ball watching" instead of staying tight to their man which gave the space for the shot. Had Ankers stayed put and let the defenders do their job, he may well have been better placed to save the shot.

Still, onwards and upwards!

The Terminator

Aug 7, 2010
a lot of mistakes recently but we need to get behind him , its not going to do any good slaughtering him and it will just make him more anxious .

at least till January...

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
The last goal was his fault.

99% of the time he rolls it out to one of our players, yet the time when we need to keep it he f***ing well kicks it straight to their keeper.

Unbelievable.

TB

Bloody this.....

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Everybody is playing the Ankergren, blame game........... why not blame Poyet for taking off CMS? and leaving nobody up there to win it or take it in the corner thereby setting ourselves up to defend and invite pressure??

Because, its football for F**k sake. nobodies to blame, its a team game and everybody did their best, nobody tried or wanted to concede....... shit happens...... but we're still 4 points clear of 7th. and 2 off the top which we will take back by smashing Palarse.

Samej

Banned
Apr 24, 2011
Everybody is playing the Ankergren, blame game........... why not blame Poyet for taking off CMS? and leaving nobody up there to win it or take it in the corner thereby setting ourselves up to defend and invite pressure??

Because, its football for F**k sake. nobodies to blame, its a team game and everybody did their best, nobody tried or wanted to concede....... shit happens...... but we're still 4 points clear of 7th. and 2 off the top which we will take back by smashing Palarse.

This

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Everybody is playing the Ankergren, blame game...........

I was just putting my observations which is one of the points of this forum. Gus has educated the Albion faithful to understand the possesion game - so when we see the old fashioned hoof - and a goal against is the result it is worth commenting on. Forget Gus's post-match comments - I am sure Gus will mention this. Of course it may be Gus sees it as no-one making themselves available and not down to Ankegren but I suspect it will be part of his post-match analysis.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Because a) kicking the ball up field goes against gus's footalling philosophy. Gus wasn't expecting the ball to be thumped up the field so didn't need (and shoudn't have needed) CMS up there in injury time, b) even if CMS was up there, he wouldn't have won it. The ball as over hit and went straight to their keeper. He would have had to have been in an offside position to have won that ball.

It is a team game, and if you read this thread all the way through, you will see blame is being apportioned throughout the team.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
It's interesting that people want to lay into Ankergren when, for instance, for the second goal, Greer gave the ball away, Bridcutt was wrong-footed far too easily and Dunk didn't charge down the shot.

For me, Greer had one of the worst games he's had since joining us. But he looked leggy and who could blame him after 90 minutes against Suarez and Bellamy. It doesn't make him a bad player, and nor is Ankergren a bad keeper. He had a fantastic record last season, especially in that 8 match winning run in March and, before last night, we had one of the best defensive records in the Championship.

It's interesting that people want to lay into Ankergren when, for instance, for the second goal, Greer gave the ball away, Bridcutt was wrong-footed far too easily and Dunk didn't charge down the shot.

For me, Greer had one of the worst games he's had since joining us. But he looked leggy and who could blame him after 90 minutes against Suarez and Bellamy. It doesn't make him a bad player, and nor is Ankergren a bad keeper. He had a fantastic record last season, especially in that 8 match winning run in March and, before last night, we had one of the best defensive records in the Championship.

TBF I think Ankers was left a bit exposed in this game, the defence looked too standoffish and were too easilly pulled out of position. That said, I tend to agree with this quote and Acker79. They can't score if they ain't got the ball, I'm sure the rest of the team were as bemused as we all were at the end of the game!

minnieme

Sep 10, 2006
Brighton
How about the fact we had ten players between their keeper and our goals when the leeds keeper got hold of the ball.

Absolute garbage to blame Ankergren for the last goal.

It's as if the other ten players on the pitch are being totally excused for not stopping the ball making it back up the pitch, not clearing it out of our area once in, then leaving a Leeds player totally unmarked in the box.

Shit defence cost us the game, not Ankergren.

We ask our keeper to do far more during a game than most teams do. I for one think he does a good job overall.[/QUOTE Agree with most of that, but why spend 92 minutes rolling the ball out to our defence & then the last minute hoof it up the pitch, don't understand that.

matthew

Sep 20, 2009
Ovingdean, United Kingdom
How about the fact we had ten players between their keeper and our goals when the leeds keeper got hold of the ball.

Absolute garbage to blame Ankergren for the last goal.

It's as if the other ten players on the pitch are being totally excused for not stopping the ball making it back up the pitch, not clearing it out of our area once in, then leaving a Leeds player totally unmarked in the box.

Shit defence cost us the game, not Ankergren.

We ask our keeper to do far more during a game than most teams do. I for one think he does a good job overall.[/QUOTE Agree with most of that, but why spend 92 minutes rolling the ball out to our defence & then the last minute hoof it up the pitch, don't understand that.

There was no need for Casper to come out. If he stays in his goal we win the game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here