Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ankergren

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
I'm not knocking Gus, far from it. I like him. He's got us playing some great football with some quality players on a pretty tight budget. I just can't help but feel the one position he has signed all his duds in is also the one that people from his continent are notoriously poor at judging.

Just honestly feel we can't get any better. After all, Leeds were hardly short on cash or poor at attracting players- and they couldn't get better than him for 3 seasons. Just hope we stick behind him, as goalkeepers need confidence more than any other player. After all, I'm sure one of the reasons Michel did so well for us is because he was so loved here.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
How can people think he had a good game until the mistake when he let balls drift across the goal giving oncoming forwards an open goal if they'd got to the ball, came when he shouldn't, didn't come when he should and flapped at at least 4 balls before the 2nd goal. Some excellebt defending and a lucky deflection saved us from conceding on at least 4 other occasions. Casper looked suspect long before his howler imo and was the weak link in the side.

Maybe he just had a bad day.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
How can people think he had a good game until the mistake when he let balls drift across the goal giving oncoming forwards an open goal if they'd got to the ball, came when he shouldn't, didn't come when he should and flapped at at least 4 balls before the 2nd goal. Some excellebt defending and a lucky deflection saved us from conceding on at least 4 other occasions. Casper looked suspect long before his howler imo and was the weak link in the side.

It's funny how people see it differently. I thought he had done well overall before the goal.

The reaction to his mistake is ridiculous on here. Some people on here are even suggesting we should bring in a young keeper who has played one game for us in place of Ankergren after he makes one mistake. Do people never look at their reaction and think it might be over the top.

Also, not defending Ankergren's mistake but one thing that has not been mentioned as far as I can see is that it should never have been a free kick. Murray was being fouled clearly and yet the referee somehow managed to award it to them.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
To be fair, it was a very well taken finish from their player.

If we are being fair, I'd say Rochdale were a well organised side who defended very well and tried to play football and let's give Casper the benefit of the doubt and say he had a bad game.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
I really don't understand this. If Michel was still here maybe I'd want his rivals to fail, but I really don't see why on earth I'd be getting any joy from it now. So stop being so f***ing pathetic. I want us to have a top quality keeper. Sadly we haven't got one even close to that status.

You take far more interest in our goalkeepers failing than you do in any other position. You clearly deny it but it is plainly obvious. Are you a goalkeeping coach or something? Maybe that would explain it.

Before I read this thread I assumed you would be the one to post the most. I clicked on the number of posters and you had 11 posts. The next most was five.

We're not going to sign a top quality keeper in this league as we can't afford one, I would say only Southampton could. I would guess that you made your mind up on Ankergren before he played for us, although again you will deny it. You also keep saying Gus has no clue and is an idiot when it comes to picking goalkeeper, which is frankly ridiculous. We now have two good goalkeepers for this level, so maybe if people like you stop slaughtering them for every mistake they make, not just yesterday's one, they might have the confidence to perform to a higher standard.

Out of interest, if you could chose one realistic goalkeeper that we could get now, on our (estimated) budget, who would it be?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
He looked comfortable in the first half, got nervy in the 2nd once Greer had gone and then as we were getting deeper and deeper he got more and more flappy. It was huge cock up and you could tell by his reaction he knew it, sure he will bounce back.

Horney

Oct 12, 2008
Leeds got rid of him because he was making more and more mistakes. He wasn't snapped up quickly by another club and had to go on TalkSport to make an impassioned plea to any club listening, that his services were available.
Gus remembers him when his confidence was much higher.
I studied him at Swindon and yesterday and was worried by his lack of decision-making.
He may be going through a bad spell but yesterday's howler cannot be repeated otherwise its ' thank you and goodnight '

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I said at Swindon he looked a bit flappy. Should have done better when pushing out the Swindon goal.

Elphick hardly covered himself in glory though, moving to stand right infront of him.

But that said, people stand infront of goalies at every corner or cross into the box and they don't ALL glove mental it like Ankergren did.

Do think Poyet should have played Ankergren midweek though to work on the communication and understanding between the back four and keeper.

But, whatever way you dress it up, it was still a MUNTER of a mistake.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Casper should have played mid week to build up the 'understanding' with his defence.
Silly team put out against Northampton imho....but that is history!

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Just honestly feel we can't get any better. After all, Leeds were hardly short on cash or poor at attracting players- and they couldn't get better than him for 3 seasons. Just hope we stick behind him, as goalkeepers need confidence more than any other player. After all, I'm sure one of the reasons Michel did so well for us is because he was so loved here.

I think there are plenty of options out there that are a lot better, He was at Leeds for 3 years but as soon as they got a manager who knew what he was doing they ditched him

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
Can I bring up another point?

Again, this is not excusing the mistake.

But we brought so much pressure on ourselves by not keeping the ball! I think Poyet may be more displeased with that than anything else- we matched them for 20 minutes in the second half because when we got the ball we pushed up and out and kept it. Then suddenly we started dropping back and when we collected the ball we just hoofed it back up the pitch and put ourselves under pressure again. Old habits die hard, I suppose..

Also, El-Abd did fantastically when he came back in- can he stake his claim over the next 3 games? Can Greer be dropped if El-Abd and Elphick play well together? Food for thought..

HP Seagull

Sep 26, 2008
Anyone see Reina's mistake today? Imagine the abuse if Ankergren had done that yesterday.

Even the best goalkeepers make mistakes...

optimus prime

Aug 5, 2010

I've seen Casper play a dozen games & his week point is coming to deal with crossed balls. I said so here http://nortr3nixy.nimpr.uk/showthread.php?t=180699&page=3

This aspect of his game was a chink in his armour during his entire time at Elland Road. Those that think this is an isolated incident or think he's unlikely to make such an error in the future are misguided IMO.

Leeds dealt with the situation by ensuring both CB were good in the air and knew that they would have to clear crossed balls as Casper was unlikely to come off his line (Naylor & Kisnorbo did a great job of this).He's a confidence player and it's important that the defence do their best in the future to ensure this obvious weakness isn't exploited by other sides.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
We are so harsh on our own players, then in the top Premiership match of the weekend, both sides get their debutants sent off, and the home keeper drops a bollocks in the dying moments to hand the other side a point!!

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Says the man who has made so many ludicrous comments on here I don't even know where to begin. I know, let's sign Charlie McDonald over Charlie Austin:facepalm:

And if you really think I am "biased" because of a player who is no longer at the club then you're moronic.

Bollocks. You are talking shit as always. You are using this Ankergren thing to peddle your "we have 3 shit keepers" BOLLOCKS.

Brezovan played well last season. Not great, but pretty well. He made one or two mistakes, which you use as examples to prove he is "shit", but on the whole he was commanding. Everyone can see that except you.

You also completely ignore the fact that Kuipers made several mistakes every season (because hey, guess what, he is a League One goalkeeper and that is what they do you idiot).

You are boring beyond words and you post exactly the same things ALL THE TIME.

Answer me two questions.

1. If Kuipers was as good as you claim, why, in the whole time he was with us, did no one come in and make a £1m/£1.5m bid for him??!

2. Why did not a single club in the WHOLE OF ENGLISH PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL, want him when we released him?

Until you answer these questions, please kindly SHUT UP.

HP Seagull

Sep 26, 2008
Bollocks. You are talking shit as always. You are using this Ankergren thing to peddle your "we have 3 shit keepers" BOLLOCKS.

Brezovan played well last season. Not great, but pretty well. He made one or two mistakes, which you use as examples to prove he is "shit", but on the whole he was commanding. Everyone can see that except you.

You also completely ignore the fact that Kuipers made several mistakes every season (because hey, guess what, he is a League One goalkeeper and that is what they do you idiot).

You are boring beyond words and you post exactly the same things ALL THE TIME.

Answer me two questions.

1. If Kuipers was as good as you claim, why, in the whole time he was with us, did no one come in and make a £1m/£1.5m bid for him??!

2. Why did not a single club in the WHOLE OF ENGLISH PROFESSIONAL FOOTBALL, want him when we released him?

Until you answer these questions, please kindly SHUT UP.

Slightly agressive, but I agree in principle!

I don't want to take anything away from Kuipers, who was a great servant to the club, a good goalkeeper and a really decent bloke, but it does annoy me that some people's adoration of him means they cannot come to terms with the fact that we currently have two good goalkeepers for this level, and he is not one of them.

Brezovan was excellent before his injury and Ankergen has proved over the last two or three years that he is more than good enough for League One. Let's just get behind our current players, they are all going to make mistakes at some point this season.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Slightly agressive, but I agree in principle!

You're right, but it just pisses me off so much. He is so desperate for our keepers to fail. Its pathetic. What annoys me more than anything else is that I absolutely LOVED Kuipers. He was a brilliant bloke, Brighton through and through and a decent keeper. Because TCB's view of him is so wildly innacurate I find myself slagging Kuipers off, even though I think he was a TOTAL legend.

HP Seagull

Sep 26, 2008
You're right, but it just pisses me off so much. He is so desperate for our keepers to fail. Its pathetic. What annoys me more than anything else is that I absolutely LOVED Kuipers. He was a brilliant bloke, Brighton through and through and a decent keeper. Because TCB's view of him is so wildly innacurate I find myself slagging Kuipers off, even though I think he was a TOTAL legend.

I'd imagine quite a few people feel exactly the same way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here