Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ankergren

Prodigal Son

Getting older by the day
Sep 21, 2009
Sussex
İbrahim Tatlıses;3654527 said:
Bottom line - Apart from the blunder, he looked solid. Safe hands, commanding, confident and got a good kick on him.

He should have caught the ball and he knows it, he's an experienced keeper and I'm sure it was a one off.

Let us hope so, amen.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Suffice it to say I think I now understand why Leeds kept blowing it. Only one game I've seen him, but flapping like a girl at the ball is not confidence inspiring, which he did about 4 times before the 2nd goal and he seems to try and catch the ball with arms fully outstretched in front of him which is also going to lead to him dropping or losing the ball in a challenge.

I accept that those at the club who know what they are doing signed him so what do I know. Just not my kind of keeper on that showing, love to be wrong though.

Prodigal Son

Getting older by the day
Sep 21, 2009
Sussex
Talk about trying to rewrite history.

Jesus, I don't think I've ever seen a goalie make as many unrequired punches when catching would be simple as I did today. He was an absolute liability on a number of occasions. To say he was "solid" and had "safe hands" is just crazy.

He did like to rush at an attacker who had strolled past our defenders and leave the goal wide open when he did so. Did this on at least two, maybe three occasions I think.

He wasn't bad until we went 2 -1 up and then he started punching the ball instead of catching it which concerned me and those sat around me. He must have let the pressure of the situation get to him, first home game of the season and first game for him in front of the home fans etc.

Hope he settles down and improves.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex

Jesus, I don't think I've ever seen a goalie make as many unrequired punches when catching would be simple as I did today.

with the weather conditions as they were the ball would almost certainly be slipperier (have I just made a word up there ? ) than Peter Mandelson, so punching is generally the better option in those conditions.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The goal wasn't his only error. In that second half alone there was at least one occasion where he went to punch the ball, missed it but fortunately it bounced off his chest and our players hoofed it away. And another occasion when el abd was expecting him to come for the ball and when he didn't el abd was forced to kick it out for a throw. That wasn't, imo, a good performance from him.

Having said that, regarding Elphick's role, there was plenty of space for Ankergren to catch the ball and land, but, I do think Elphick being there was a distraction, and that Ankergren was half expecting elphick to nod it on but then he left it. Doesn't absolve Ankergren, though.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905

Jesus, I don't think I've ever seen a goalie make as many unrequired punches when catching would be simple as I did today. He was an absolute liability on a number of occasions. To say he was "solid" and had "safe hands" is just crazy.

Twice.
Once when he punched when he should have caught on the left hand side of the penalty and the other that lead to the goal.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Plus the two occasions within about 45 seconds of each other where he should have come out to collect the ball and froze on his line. Plus the two time Rochdale got round the back and he rushed out, leaving his goal exposed, after one of which they missed an open goal.

As I said, total liability.

I was responding to your line about the number of punches he made. Yes there was some miscommunication particularly one with El Abd, those two occasions rushing out of his goal happened when the right hand side of the defence went missing and I don't think he had much option but to come out.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
It was a f***-up of the biggest proportion... even my 80yr old dad would have caught that ball .... Lost us 2pts today

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
His nickname at Leeds was Comical Casper.
You work it out.

His pary from Swindon`s free kick last week was poor which led to their goal and he was initially very slow to come out to the attack in which he brought their man down and was lucky to remain on the field. Has everybody forgot how he dropped the simplest of crosses in the first 10 minutes in that game and luckily for him no-one from the opposition was there to touch it in.

As for today well.............

Last edited:

South Stand Seagull

Aug 14, 2010
He is a class keeper, he just happened to make a mistake today. Apart from that he looked really solid and commanded his area. He is miles better than Brezovan and he will save us lots of points over the course of the season. Nobody will be more disappointed about the goal than him.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
Sorry, thought you were responding to "liability".

Maybe you're right about him rushing out, but I'd have liked to see him not do it quite so rashly as it did leave the entire net to aim for when the cross inevitably went past him. Goalkeeping should be about inspiring confidence in my opinion, and I was petrified every time he went near the ball. I can't imagine what Elphick and El Abd must have been thinking.

Just face it - Kuipers isn't coming back. You need to get over this pathetic slaughtering of every goalkeeper we have who's not Michel. I bet when Ankergren made his mistake you were literally rubbing your hands in anticipation of coming on here to moan about him.

Yes, he made a costly error but all keepers do, including Kuipers. He's a decent keeper and there's no benefit in going overboard with the criticism.

Forster's Armband

Sep 23, 2008
London
Give Casper a f***ing chance, Brezovan buggered up in a similar fashion last season and developed into a good keeper for us Anker will do the same. The way people jump on players backs on this board is totally pathetic. We are football SUPPORTERS so support the lads for funk sake.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I think it's a cultural thing, I've got lots of films of Danish blokes fisting anything that comes near them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here