Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ankergren signed on two year deal

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
No training, I've mastered the skill all by myself.

Seriously though, we've got FOUR keepers but none I have faith in to perform well over a whole season. We also only have two strikers worthy of the title, and the season starts tomorrow. It's not ideal.

In reality Walker has at least 3 years on his contract, so a season in the development squad, then a season on loan somewhere.

If Brezovan's injury is more serious than the club are saying, then in reality we only have 2 keepers in Ron Burgundy and Poke.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Walker has a longer contract than any of the other keepers, so he has time on his side.
How long is his contract?

I'm sure he has a future, of course, but from what I've seen he looks ready for a bigger part than Poyet seems to be giving him. Poke was always ahead of him in the friendlies. I hope he doesn't drift like Martin and Sullivan seemed to.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset

Seriously though, we've got FOUR keepers but none I have faith in to perform well over a whole season. We also only have two strikers worthy of the title, and the season starts tomorrow. It's not ideal.

I'm sorry but you really are a cock sucker, we could sign David James and you'd still moan. Have a day off.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Agreed on Walker. Let's ignore him and just accept he's one for the future and will be a key part of this development squad for the next year or two.

However, I look at the other three and wouldn't back any to perform to a promotion-winning standard over the season. I have said Brezovan is a calamity ever since he arrived, and Poke clearly isn't the man for 46 games. So really it all comes down to how good actually is Ankergren. A lot of people will have doubts, myself included, based on what we've seen him do for Leeds. But on the other hand, a club like Leeds which has spent three years DEMANDING promotion wouldn't have stuck with him for so long if he was useless.

Brezovan is a decent keeper, but he is a bit of a David James, can look superb for 89 minutes and then drop a clanger.

Ron was a decent keeper for Leeds, but he was out of contract and Shane Higgs had a year left, hence he went.

optimus prime

Aug 5, 2010
I've seen him play about a dozen games and I say as a shot stopper he's as good as any keeper in the league. Not so great kicking out of his hands & can be reluctant to come for crosses.

Shifty89

Sep 29, 2007
I've seen him play about a dozen games and I say as a shot stopper he's as good as any keeper in the league. Not so great kicking out of his hands & can be reluctant to come for crosses.

That sounds familiar! is he by any chance a former danish marine?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Good signing, seen it and done it in a promotion side and we have arguably as good a back 4 as Leeds did. How can this not be good .

Brezovan not all that despite what people thinks so this is a good good signing

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
And idiots like you just see signings and presume they're all amazing. Gus has basically admitted he's made at least one f*** up in the transfer market and the season hasn't even started. It's entirely possible we're now paying four keepers and haven't got one good enough to get us up.

How I long for a proven, experienced, match-winning number one. If he was Dutch it would be all the better. Mind you, they're so hard to come by only an idiot would give one away.

Sorry I shouldn’t have abused you, however you must see that a keeper of Ankergren’s quality is about as good as you can expect at our level.

Sure like Brez, Kuipers and countless others at this level he is prone to errors but let’s face it if he wasn’t he wouldn’t be signing for div3 team.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom

not that I disagree , but if Poyets going to only play one upfront and the opportunity to get rid of Poke ASAP avaliable I would've snapped up this scenario straight away

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
Sorry I shouldn’t have abused you, however you must see that a keeper of Ankergren’s quality is about as good as you can expect at our level.

Sure like Brez, Kuipers and countless others at this level he is prone to errors but let’s face it if he wasn’t he wouldn’t be signing for div3 team.

EGG f***ing zactly.

We are in the 3rd division. A keeper who doesnt make a blunder over 46 games plays in the Prem or Championship. And even they make f*** ups.

Good lord. Casper the ghost is shrewd signing on a free. And probably one of the best keepers in this league.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It's good Gus has done this, if he wasn't sure and Ankergren was available why not. If Poke was in tomorrow and we shipped 4 because of him, Gus would have got crucified. He is obviously happier with the new lad in goal, so fair play.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
That is exactly my issue with Brezovan. You're absolutely right, for four matches out of five he will look excellent and very commanding. For the other 89 minutes in the fifth match he will continue to look good. Then he will have an absolute MESS of a moment and cost us a match. It happened way too many times last season for it to be a coincidence or to think he can eradicate it from his game.

How many times last season did his mistakes cost us the match? The big errors he made I can think of are against Exeter (gave away a penalty) we won 1-0 after he saved said penalty. Another was against Wycombe where he had a bit of a poor first half, to put it mildly, and we went on to win 5-2. I know some peopleblame him for Adam Virgo needlessly getting sent off. I emphasise needlessly because as poor and rash as Brezovan's throw out was, the player that collected it was going nowhere, was no danger and it was Virgo's own decisions to lunge in like he did and imo he has no one to blame but himself. And that game ended 1-1.

So, in which games did Brezovan make these "way too many" mistakes that "cost us the game"?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here