Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ankergren signed on two year deal

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Isn't it also an old injury? I seem to remember that he broke his wrist whilst playing for Swindon.
I think he broke his arm or his shoulder at Swindon. Not sure if it could be connected. :shrug:

I was never hugely impressed with Ankergren for Leeds. Hopefully my impressions are wrong. If not, letting Kuipers go is looking like a bit of a mistake. As is signing Poke, if he's "one for the future" we don't need him - we have Walker in that role.

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
By Paul Camillin

Albion have completed the signing of Danish goalkeeper Casper Ankergren on a two-year deal.

The 30-year-old former Leeds United stopper has signed this morning, after passing a medical, and is expected to make his debut at Swindon Town tomorrow.

Boss Gus Poyet said, "Goalkeeper is a key position in the team, and with Peter Brezovan injured, we wanted to bring some experience*to that position.

"Casper brings that experience and has played at this level, and higher. I have worked with him at Leeds United, and know exactly what he is capable of; he also knows what it takes to get promoted from League One.

Ankergren's arrival means Albion now have four senior keepers, but Poyet feels both Michael Poke and Mitch Walker had the chance to seize the number one spot during pre-season.

"I am certain that Michael Poke and Mitch Walker have great futures ahead of them, which is why we signed them both, but neither of them makes me feel 100% safe right now so as a manager you need to make bold decisions.

"At the start of pre-season we saw both as players for the future, with the option to challenge Peter every day, but after Peter's injury we gave them the opportunity over the pre-season period to prove themselves, but I am*not 100% convinced.

"However, I always felt it would take an outstanding pre-season, both in training and in matches for either to seize the position.

"Casper is here now, and I want Pokey, Mitch and Peter when he is fit to challenge him for the position."

Ankergren won promotion with Leeds United last season, having joined the club in 2007.

In his native Denmark he played for Køge BK and Brøndby IF, where he won the Danish double in 2005, he also won the Superliga in 2002 and the cup in 2003.

He has also won international honours at under-17 and under-21 level, and in 2006 was called up to the national squad, but did not win a cap.

Advertisement

I love Poyet's no nonsense talking. No fannying about, just straight to the point.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
To me this looks a brilliant singing but can't help but think it undermines the squad mentality he was espousing, he was going on about allowing young pros the chance to prove themselves but Walker has now found himself fourth choice and Poke has yet again found himself third choice. Did we pay a fee for Poke?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
By Paul Camillin
"Casper is here now, and I want Pokey, Mitch and Peter when he is fit to challenge him for the position."

Certainly sounds like Gus views Casper as the number one keeper.

I feel sorry for Poke. I've not seen him play, but he came to us because he wasn't getting a look in at southampton and there was the suggestion of a chance to challenge for the starting place with us, then Brez gets injured and it looks like Poke has his chance. Now this. It's got to be a blow. I hope it doesn't set him back too far, and I hope he gets an opportunity soon, whether with us, or with another club.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Good keeper, from what I've seen of him on the telly.
Future looking bad for poke, and even worse for walker.
Striker options still by biggest concern though

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
How can you turn the fact that we have improved our strength in one position into a bloody NEGATIVE?

Does it take training to be as miserable as you or are you just naturally talented?

:bowdown:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Its a shame for Poke on a personal level, but it did look like potentially a weak link and Gus has sorted it. I'm chuffed to get a keeper of this calibre down here.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
We have three 1st choice keepers and Mitch Walker can learn from Ankergren and benefit from focused coaching in the development squad.

Pleased.

SeeGoals

Bloom’n Marvellous
Jan 22, 2009
Horsham by the sea
I think this is a great move a very late move but a great move. If we want to get promotion this season we have got to be ruthless, by that I mean we have got to take experience over youth every time. Having 2 experienced keepers has got to be a good thing, Poke will I guess be a bit pissed but we are also trying to build a team for the future and Gus obviously liked what he saw in Poke. The one position we can't afford to muck up this season is the keeper, so I say "Well done Gus, that took some guts". Only time will tell if it's a good one, although he did work with him at Leeds so it's not a gamble IMO.

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
Certainly sounds like Gus views Casper as the number one keeper.

I feel sorry for Poke. I've not seen him play, but he came to us because he wasn't getting a look in at southampton and there was the suggestion of a chance to challenge for the starting place with us, then Brez gets injured and it looks like Poke has his chance. Now this. It's got to be a blow. I hope it doesn't set him back too far, and I hope he gets an opportunity soon, whether with us, or with another club.

It will be a blow for the player but this is EXACTLY what I've been waiting for at the club, long gone are the days of the soft approach of MA (2nd stint)and RS having their favourites whether their doing the job or not.

Gus wants us to be successful, he is aware of the chairman's high expectations and knows he has to deliver and he's showing he can handle it by making harsh decisions. He gave Poke and Walker pre-season to play out of their skins and they haven't stepped up to the required level so he's signed an experienced quality goalkeeper who he has worked with before.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here