Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Andy Grey sacked (Merged)

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Its ridiculous that a private conversation that in error was broadcast has led to a sacking, go to most pubs who were showing the game, or join a bunch of lads watching the game at home and you would have heard virtually word for word,it appears you are not only allowed to say what you think but also cannot have an opinion.
Agreed, some of the posts on this thread would be more at home in a mother and toddler group ffs.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Agreed, some of the posts on this thread would be more at home in a mother and toddler group ffs.

unless we were turned away for being british!

(sorry i couldn't resist it)

I think there is a huge difference in being a public figure with an audience of thousands and a bloke in a pub. In this day and age public figures need to be careful what they say as they have a wide ranging audience made up of many different people and they should make every effort not to offend those people.

If Andy Gray made those comments at home or in his local and not many people heard them then no problem we all know he is an out dated dinosaur, but as they were made and circulated across the net and press then of course he is going to get sacked. Comments like that are unacceptable, there is no reason women shouldn't understand or enforce the offside rule.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Its ridiculous that a private conversation that in error was broadcast has led to a sacking, go to most pubs who were showing the game, or join a bunch of lads watching the game at home and you would have heard virtually word for word,it appears you are not only allowed to say what you think but also cannot have an opinion.

But it wasn't, though. His microphone-down-pants antics would be considered sexual harassment in most offices, and his latest jibes at the female linesman were viewed as the last straw.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Glad to hear sky saw sense and sacked andy gray for his outdated sexist views. They should replace him with a female presenter.....and preferably one with big tits !!!

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
I am replying having not read the posts but it is bollocks
His comments were not broadcast & were just an opinion which 95 per cent of male football fans would agree with.
What happened to freedom of speech

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
His comments were not broadcast & were just an opinion which 95 per cent of male football fans would agree with.

Sky Sports are exercising their freedom of speech to say "you're sacked."

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
This is the biggest load of rubbish I've heard for a long time. I don't defend what he said, I disagree with him completely. But he should never be sacked for personal opinions expressed off air, in his own time. What he thinks and believes is up to him, that doesn't bother me in the slightest because he is a football pundit and for me, he is the best in the business. As a co-commentator, he is the best in the business. There has been a lot of hate for Andy Gray in the last few days, and I think people have been very precious in their comments and very irrational. The man is entitled to his opinions, as every one is. Sian Massey was taken off her match tonight not because of her performance, or even because of what Gray and Keys said about her. She was removed for political reasons, and that is the single most annoying thing to me because this whole saga is political. It smells awfully like the Brand/Ross nonsense, that was overblown and uninteresting and this is just the same. Really sad that your entire career can be flushed down the toilet because of something not even remotely related to it.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
This is the biggest load of rubbish I've heard for a long time. I don't defend what he said, I disagree with him completely. But he should never be sacked for personal opinions expressed off air, in his own time. What he thinks and believes is up to him, that doesn't bother me in the slightest because he is a football pundit and for me, he is the best in the business. As a co-commentator, he is the best in the business. There has been a lot of hate for Andy Gray in the last few days, and I think people have been very precious in their comments and very irrational. The man is entitled to his opinions, as every one is. Sian Massey was taken off her match tonight not because of her performance, or even because of what Gray and Keys said about her. She was removed for political reasons, and that is the single most annoying thing to me because this whole saga is political. It smells awfully like the Brand/Ross nonsense, that was overblown and uninteresting and this is just the same. Really sad that your entire career can be flushed down the toilet because of something not even remotely related to it.

It wasn't in his own time though was it? He was in his job, where other women work, deriding the ability of someone to do their job because of their sex.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
No, he wasn't doing that was he? Perspective. He was talking specifically about a female linesman in the mens game. He wasn't saying women can't do their job because they're female. He was talking only about a female linesman, and he disagrees with their presence. That's his opinion, and I'm sure a lot of people out there agree with him. What he said was in context to the topic of discussion, he wasn't just randomly belittling women. He is/was paid to give his opinions because he is an expert in his field, and he was giving them in private to his colleagues. And he got sacked for it, which is just pathetic.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

What about the 100% of female football fans who think he's an absolute wanker?

Do they not have freedom of speech too?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
No, he wasn't doing that was he? Perspective. He was talking specifically about a female linesman in the mens game. He wasn't saying women can't do their job because they're female. He was talking only about a female linesman, and he disagrees with their presence. That's his opinion, and I'm sure a lot of people out there agree with him. What he said was in context to the topic of discussion, he wasn't just randomly belittling women. He is/was paid to give his opinions because he is an expert in his field, and he was giving them in private to his colleagues. And he got sacked for it, which is just pathetic.

I'd imagine that these 'three' instances are just the tip of the iceberg.

If he has been unfairly dismissed then we shall await for him to launch a lawsuit.

Sexism is rife in the workplace. My father, a tribunal chairman, deals with numerous cases. Gray's position was untenable. Good riddance to the archaic monster.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
he wasn't just randomly belittling women.

Of course he bloody was.

He ASSUMED that a particular match official was going to be shit, before the game had even commenced, BECAUSE she was a woman.

What part of that do you not think belittles women in general?

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
148963.jpg

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
I don't like either of them particularly but neither do I feel the need to jump on the bandwagon and get all politically correct and offended at what they said, I'm not remotely offended by anything they said even though I don't agree with their opinions. People need to get a grip, they gobbed off about a woman lino just like any other bloke or woman saying similar things about men, big f***ing deal who really genuinely can say they are deeply offended, if you are you need to get a life.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Irrespective of what he said, quite odd that these clips can only have originated internally at Sky. Someone must have had it in for him there.

Off camera footage just knocking around... mmmmmmmmm

On a completely separate note, isn't he currently taking legal action against the News of The World...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here