Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Andy Gray and Richard Keys....

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Interesting points made by Karen Brady. "What really upsets me is the fact that only females in our industry are judged by their gender. And that is categorically wrong."

As wrong as judging the females in the publications your bosses made their dosh in where the girls were judged by the sizes of their tits or the cut of their jiblets.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Like them or not, as a lot of people on here don't seem to, they present an interesting show and talk about all the current issues.

As could a whole host of interesting, intelligent and insightful people.

It never ceases to amaze me how they pick such hideous personalities for a top job. Their double act is cringworthy. They add very little, or certainly nothing more than A.N. Other duo could do.

That extends to all football programmes.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Interesting points made by Karen Brady. "What really upsets me is the fact that only females in our industry are judged by their gender. And that is categorically wrong."

As wrong as judging the females in the publications your bosses made their dosh in where the girls were judged by the sizes of their tits or the cut of their jiblets.

Quite and I am sure she has used her gender to her advantage.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
That would swell the Pink Pound fund at the Amex :thumbsup:

And to follow Edna's argument, I am sure that we could find 20 scantily clad men who could dance just as well or perhaps better than Gully's Girls. So why aren't they recruited? Because largely it is a male audience who want to see lots of pretty girls. That is sexist, but that is the reality and to pretend otherwise is just the PC Brigade going bonkers.

I'm no Gray/Keys fan but this has been blown completely out of proportion. There are women being treated as slaves in this country and others and yet that hardly ever reaches the news. A couple of old football pundits have a laugh about a woman linesman and it is the headline story on the BBC all day until someone blows up a bomb in Moscow. At least some proportion returned after that!!

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
As could a whole host of interesting, intelligent and insightful people.

It never ceases to amaze me how they pick such hideous personalities for a top job. Their double act is cringworthy. They add very little, or certainly nothing more than A.N. Other duo could do.

That extends to all football programmes.

Good Darts there Bof, but I reckon the K&G Act could certainly scratch a living doin' the WMC circuit. So call me a sinner; & call me a saint: I give you the hilario Hairy & Lairy (severely downsized) Roadshow. Cheap (shot) lunchtime doubles with a cheeky sexist twist? May I congratulate Sir on his excellent choice.

Marvelous.

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
And to follow Edna's argument, I am sure that we could find 20 scantily clad men who could dance just as well or perhaps better than Gully's Girls. So why aren't they recruited? Because largely it is a male audience who want to see lots of pretty girls. That is sexist,

Why is catering to an audience sexist? And what does catering to an audience have to do with pre-emptively writing off someone's ability to do the job based on their gender?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Why is catering to an audience sexist? And what does catering to an audience have to do with pre-emptively writing off someone's ability to do the job based on their gender?

Exactly, so given this what's wrong with having sexist football presenters? Must be in keeping with about 90% of the audience?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Good old football, always 20 years behind the real world. What next, a gay player?

It's s shame this story didn't break in a week's time after they'd covered Bolton / Chelsea. You can just imagine Keys off-camera:

"Did you hear that Matt Taylor talking about homophobia in football. Do me a favour, ducky!"

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Just re-read about Andy Gray's entry in Matthew Norman's excellent book '101 most infuriating things in sport' due to boredom with the wife watching corrie

Andy Gray is in at 36 with the highlights of his entry

-Fathered 2 sons by different women within 3 months of each other and called both Jamie
-In La Manga (Isn't it always) was reported to be drunkenly chanting with his mates before asking the concierge 'Eh, Senoreo, where is the f***ing taxio' before smooth talking his way into a womens affections with 'You've got great f***ing tits'

Sexism obviously comes naturally to our Andy

Other favourites touched on in this thread, Alan Green is number 4 (with a wonderfully caustic entry which is worth buying for that alone), Lawrenson 14 and Keyes 84th just behind the Charity fun runner. It's not the first time Keyes has been broadcast unaware having been caught saying 'Daft little ground, Silly game, f*** off' when watching the Faroes V Scotland which I doubt was on his Sky autocue at the time.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
It's s shame this story didn't break in a week's time after they'd covered Bolton / Chelsea. You can just imagine Keys off-camera:

"Did you hear that Matt Taylor talking about homophobia in football. Do me a favour, ducky!"

Probably wouldn't have even been a story as sad as it sounds. Tatchell would get a 2 minute slot on News At Ten, just before ....And finally.

Southstandfaithful

Oct 22, 2010
H Heath
It's a joke and way to sensitive. Most women I have spoke to today are laughing about it.

I would not wet my pants if women were having a pop about men in a cooking class (even though all the best chefs are men) but you get the meaning

Listening to what was said it certainly was not said in jest........ both of the presenters should be let go...... the comments were totally unacceptable and offensive. I'm not that sensitive usually to this sort of thing and can take a joke and usually have to as i work in a very male dominated profession but these comments crossed the line between acceptable/ unacceptable.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Exactly, so given this what's wrong with having sexist football presenters? Must be in keeping with about 90% of the audience?

Just because many of the audience are male doesn't automatically follow that they will be a bunch of backward, misogynistic troglodytes. As you may have noticed, plenty of the guys on here think Keys & Grayson are out of order.

And they don't have Gully's Guys because the audience at games is predominantly male: women wouldn't really care much if they did have men doing it. But a bloke enjoying watching our cheerleaders is hardly the same as someone completely writing off the ability of every woman on the planet.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Do you seriously not see the difference between catering to relevant interests (a group of people employed to help entertain/excite the crowd for a sporting event would be relevant) and employing someone with a prejudice that while it may be shared with 90% of the audience (and like edna, I doubt that is an accurate figure) is usually not related to the job?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Do you seriously not see the difference between catering to relevant interests (a group of people employed to help entertain/excite the crowd for a sporting event would be relevant) and employing someone with a prejudice that while it may be shared with 90% of the audience (and like edna, I doubt that is an accurate figure) is usually not related to the job?

I just think there are an awful lot of hypocrites on this thread who are having a real go at Gray and Keys for doing what a large majority of men do when talking to other men. I.e. Take the piss out of women.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here