Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Andy Gray and Richard Keys....

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I had not made the connection - but Gray is also taking out a court case against the News of the World over phone-tapping, so effectively against his employers. I wonder whether this will affect their thinking.

Just to say that Andy Gray was a heck of a player in his day. Player and Young Player of the Year in the same season.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I had not made the connection - but Gray is also taking out a court case against the News of the World over phone-tapping, so effectively against his employers. I wonder whether this will affect their thinking

and of course thereason why a sky employee (or employees) would have leaked two tapes of Andy Gray is linked to this is no way whatsoever !!

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
That second clip is entertaining, when he says "no, I wouldn't, I definitely wouldn't", in relation to Sian Massey.

What, and you think she would with you, you ugly fat TOOL? :facepalm:
Just as a pedantic point, I think this is slightly put of context.

From the transcript it seems the reporter (with gray preparing for the interview) says "Paul (or whatever the camerama's name was) says we have a female lino today and shes a bit of a looker. I wouldn't trust his judgement

To which gray responds "no I wouldn't, I definitely wouldn't"

Thats not sexist, that's the other guy bringing up her attractiveness and Gray doubting his colleagues women-judgement.

That's how I've read it anyway.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Let's be honest, the comments about how attractive she is, crass as it sounds once you're caught/set up, are anywhere near as bad as saying she can't be any good because she's a woman. All women and men have conversations like the former every day. The latter is a sackable offence in many workplaces.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Indeed Tooting and it's not political correctness gone made, it's just basic common sense. Although any comment or behaviour that can be perceived as over familiar, comment on the appearance of an individual or involves touching can be viewed as harrasment so that former comment could also cause issues is most workplaces.

In diversity training we used to demonstrate the concern by role playing walking up to the fellow trainer (Elizabeth), putting a hand on her shoulder and saying 'wow Lizzie, you've dolled yourself up today'. All of which is far less that Richard Keys or Andy Gray have done.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
If they aren't sacked it proves Sexism is still acceptable in today's society.

I think this is the reason Sky will be under so much pressure to give them the boot. If this was an internal matter, they'd keep their jobs. Because it's out in the public domain, the pressure will be there to axe them, and rightfully so.

What a great chance to freshen up their coverage - I hope they grab it with both hands!

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
What I find a bit odd is that normally Sky News gives a relatively low priority to stories that are anti anyone in their organisation but at 7pm last night this was the first item and they ran all of both tapes. The comment was pretty hostile too. I get the impression that there are those inside Sky who would like to see Gray and Keys gone and this has given them the perfect excuse. Let's hope it works. Some of the comments about Keys (from the likes of Graham Poll, Paul Hayward) indicate that he's pissed a few people off in his time.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
If I was at work and I got caught making remarks of this nature about, for example, black, or Asian, or disabled or gay people, whether it was intended to be a private conversation or not, I would end up in a massive amount of trouble over it. No question.

and if you made it about a white middle aged bloke you would be almost impervious to any sort of rebuke. perhaps not technically but its phenomenally unlikely to be penalised and just laughed at. I understand why this system exists but lets look forward to when we can all unfunnily make stupid comments without a weighting system of offensiveness and degrees of potential victimhood. then the struggle is truly over!

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
What I find a bit odd is that normally Sky News gives a relatively low priority to stories that are anti anyone in their organisation but at 7pm last night this was the first item and they ran all of both tapes. The comment was pretty hostile too. I get the impression that there are those inside Sky who would like to see Gray and Keys gone and this has given them the perfect excuse. Let's hope it works. Some of the comments about Keys (from the likes of Graham Poll, Paul Hayward) indicate that he's pissed a few people off in his time.

having not waded through the entire stuff on this, what has Paul hayward had to say?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
God is this farce still rumbling on.

Meanwhile in other other news, milions die from starvation every day...

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Amongst other things:

Keys, supposedly the professional journalist of the two, is unrelentingly aloof, as if to talk to print reporters might lower the wattage of his fame. He affects the air of a TV star who has become an extension of the game he is meant to be presenting and describing.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I just think there are an awful lot of hypocrites on this thread who are having a real go at Gray and Keys for doing what a large majority of men do when talking to other men. I.e. Take the piss out of women.

But what has the hypocrisy of people in this thread have to do with catering to an audience? You're treating two unrelated topics as if they are similar enough to have one prove the other ok, when they don't. Catering to an audience's preference is completely different to punishing (or not) someone because the audience/complainants are hypocrites. I don't know if it was a stretch at finding a point of comparison and was the best you could think of at the time or a deliberate attempt to muddy the waters, but catering to an audience is not the same as deciding the audience are hypocrites.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill

This is what I said yesterday (pretty much)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here