Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

An Argyle view

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
I do sometimes wonder about our fans, we can make an atmosphere at Withdean, but as soon as one is created some prat in a bobble hat will shout at someone to sit down, and so on. Its a shame really, because Ive got a feeling Falmer will be the same.

Hit. Nail. Head. Was exceptionally quiet last night. All I could hear from South Stand was "Good boy".

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
the ref was rather lenient, if a little clueless.

I loved it when he appeared to come over to the fourth official - Peter Reid when there was the penalty area scuffle as if to ask "did anyone over here see it?"

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
The biggest surprise to me is that people are surprised that there was no atmosphere at the game. Right from the off it was ob iously not much of a contest and it was definitely over after 48 minutes. We played some nice football at times but I certainly don't blame Gus for getting the team to take their foot off with so many games coming up in March. To get an atmosphere you need some excitement. To get excitement you need a contest. This match was no contest.

Fair point

SurreySeagulls

Jul 9, 2003
Guildford
We are also now expecting to batter teams and whereas earlier in the season when it wasn't the norm there was more atmosphere. My pals and I were talking at half time about the game and were dissappointed!!!!! we were not more clinical. That is the measure of how far Gus has taken us. Now we take for granted winning easiliy at home (rightly or wrongly) and it takes either a team to come in and hack our players down or a ref to be completely gash to raise an atmosphere.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Deadest I've ever heard withdean tonight. There were times when it was actually silent, nobody was even talking.

I don't care anymore, I'm just counting the days 'til I'm back on the northstand.

I know that this is not the party line, BUT last night I was bored to tears at time ( and to be honest the same at the hartlepool game), yes we are top of the league, destroying many teams in the process and play some really good stuff at times, however exciting football is not something that we have regularilyseen this season....good accurate EFFICIENT football, Yes. that is why it was like a morgue last night. we scored two goals and everyone knew it was game over....At 3-0 i was hoping that we would up our game and really go for them, BUT that is not Gus' way...its more kill the game , flick it about at the back and play nice triangles between the defence.

as I said, it is brilliant that we are top and results go our way almost every week. we have destroyed teams who have come here and know how to kill a game.

But tippy tappy passing it between el abd/greer/ankeran is not going to get the crowd going...where ever we play

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Much respect to their fans. Bloody long trip on a Tuesday night to see your team get battered but they kept singing throughout. Also their No 16 never gave up running although Greer, El-Abd and Casper where passing the ball in triangles around him, actually felt sorry for him

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I know that this is not the party line, BUT last night I was bored to tears at time ( and to be honest the same at the hartlepool game), yes we are top of the league, destroying many teams in the process and play some really good stuff at times, however exciting football is not something that we have regularilyseen this season....good accurate EFFICIENT football, Yes. that is why it was like a morgue last night. we scored two goals and everyone knew it was game over....At 3-0 i was hoping that we would up our game and really go for them, BUT that is not Gus' way...its more kill the game , flick it about at the back and play nice triangles between the defence.

as I said, it is brilliant that we are top and results go our way almost every week. we have destroyed teams who have come here and know how to kill a game.

But tippy tappy passing it between el abd/greer/ankeran is not going to get the crowd going...where ever we play

A lot of the problem is that teams come to the Withdean stick 10 or 11 behind the ball and do nothing but try and catch us on the break. Always going to be difficult for us to play exciting football for 90 minutes when there are brick walls to try and get through.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I do sometimes wonder about our fans, we can make an atmosphere at Withdean, but as soon as one is created some prat in a bobble hat will shout at someone to sit down, and so on. Its a shame really, because Ive got a feeling Falmer will be the same.

I sometimes wonder about comments like this.

'prat in a bobble hat' will shout at someone to sit down? Do grow up. If you want to make some noise-make some noise ffs. You are allowed. Just for the record, I sit in Block E and have never heard anybody tell somebody else to sit down when there is some excitement on the pitch and the atmosphere is getting noisy so I don't know where this myth comes from.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
I'll tell you why there wasn't much of an atmosphere last night, it was because it was like watching a kitten being punched in the face - no one wants to see that shit!!

:(

horshamgreens

Feb 21, 2011
I think about 6 would have been right. From where I was standing, we were outclassed. Simple as that.

Mind you, as I've said on PASOTI, to pay £21 for a view like that is an absolute disgrace. I know that Falmer can't come soon enough for you guys - well, the feeling's entirely mutual. Try sitting in your away end (actually, don't).

That's my only complaint though. As X Isle says, throughout the day, from my first pint in The Evening Star until the chat on the train going back to Lewes, every single Albion fan was 100% supportive of our plight. Your knowledge of the game is unrivalled, your team the best in the league and your cheeseburgers surprisingly palatable.

I wish you well - and see you in the away end at The Broadfield Stadium next season.

Mike

The French Mistress

Jun 24, 2007
Apart from the obnoxious child in G Block telling the Plymouth fans in the away end to "shut up" just because they were singing.

We've got one of them in D Block ! Agree it was quiet, but as the majority of games, with all due respect to the opposition, are easier than before , it gets a bit boring . I mean that in a positive way. We desperately need to get out of this division.

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
I think about 6 would have been right. From where I was standing, we were outclassed. Simple as that.

Mind you, as I've said on PASOTI, to pay £21 for a view like that is an absolute disgrace. I know that Falmer can't come soon enough for you guys - well, the feeling's entirely mutual. Try sitting in your away end (actually, don't).

That's my only complaint though. As X Isle says, throughout the day, from my first pint in The Evening Star until the chat on the train going back to Lewes, every single Albion fan was 100% supportive of our plight. Your knowledge of the game is unrivalled, your team the best in the league and your cheeseburgers surprisingly palatable.

I wish you well - and see you in the away end at The Broadfield Stadium next season.

Mike

:O

How many pints did you have exactly in The Evening Star? :lol:

horshamgreens

Feb 21, 2011
:O

How many pints did you have exactly in The Evening Star? :lol:

Only 5...plus the one in "The Jolly Tanners" on the way down of course. Then there were those 2 in "The Great Eastern" and another one in "The Open House" on the way home. But that was AFTER the cheeseburger so I can't really blame it on that.

I'm not sure that there'll be anywhere proper - I obviously exclude chrome finished bars with mood lighting and life-sized murals of Steve Foster -to drink in Falmer. So when we play you again next (I'm guessing this will be in the year 2525) this happy pub crawl tradition will hopefully continue...

Mike

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
I think he needs a reality check more than a pint! 4-0 flattered us?!! It should have been 6 or 7 in their net.

Yeah. 6 or 7. Barnesy *might* have taken the score up a notch :L

Considering our league position and the fact we were easily winning the game, our support was abysmal. It's alright taking the piss when we play away but where are those fans at home? Just think of the FCUM fans in the away end and weep.

But this was as easy a win as we've had this season. Plymouth were shockingly ordinairy after they conceded the first.

and what do you want from support.

if you are in the s.stand you can't hear what other parts are singing.

if you are in the n.stamd, the s.stand makes an impressive noise.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Apart from the obnoxious child in G Block telling the Plymouth fans in the away end to "shut up" just because they were singing.

There was a child at the back of the family stand who shouted at Barnes that he was crap and then did the same to Murray, at which point I thought ahh - the bastard son of Mr Burns and the Hitman.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here