Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

An Argyle view

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
It was the calmest most relaxed win I've ever seen; more like a pre-season training exercise or an exhibition match. Hardly surprising there's no atmosphere when there's nothing in the game.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It was the calmest most relaxed win since the last home game. Smash them in the first 50-60 minutes, then get the flip-flops out.

devonsi

"By-The-Sea"
Dec 26, 2008
Plymouth
I seriously hope that Argyle don't have anything like the Bad luck we've had & that they start flattering themselves in a similar way real soon, every dog has it's day & this our time!!! Bring it on Blues... Keep the faith Greens...

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
withdean was the quietest i've ever heard it in the 2nd half tonight. ever. and that's all 12 seasons.weird...

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
withdean was the quietest i've ever heard it in the 2nd half tonight. ever. and that's all 12 seasons.weird...

Apart from the obnoxious child in G Block telling the Plymouth fans in the away end to "shut up" just because they were singing.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
It didn't seem anyy worse than usual, it's been dead for two years, completely dead as opposed to before mostly dead. Paradoxically there's not much to get excited about when you're winning so easily. It'll all be over soon.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Atmosphere was crap and we all no Withdean is shit.

Don't think the total non contest helped much it was just to easy, Plymouth just did not make a match of it.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I liked their song, though: "The Football League is upside down.'

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I think the Plymouth fan is deluding himself when he says 4-0 flattered us. It should have been many more. We were in second gear for virtually the entire second half.

The BBC match statistics say we had five efforts on target. Five? Surely some mistake? Apart from the four goals, what about Bennett's shot which was well saved in the first few minutes, the header from Murray that the keeper saved just after they'd conceded the first, the shot that was spilled when Barnes put the rebound off the keeper over the bar, Murray's (?) shot soon after we'd scored the third, which should have made it four but was saved.... I make that eight, and there must be others I've forgotten... Where do they get these figures from?!

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
More importantly, credit to Plymouth fans: there was a fair number of them tonight (considering the distance and recent away supports) and they made the most noise I've heard at Withers this season.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
You wern't there for FC United then I gather.

But still, fair play to the Pilgrims tonight, horribly long trip on a Tuesday night to watch a doomed junk team bound for the basement.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
You wern't there for FC United then I gather.

But still, fair play to the Pilgrims tonight, horribly long trip on a Tuesday night to watch a doomed junk team bound for the basement.

I was actually, what I meant to say was in the league, they have been the noisiest fans so far we've had at Withdean. And I've been to all home games bar Rochdale.

The Face

H Block
Jan 24, 2007
BN2
Agree with the above.

The Argyle fans were a credit to their club and I wish them all the best in their plight.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
The Argyle fans were fantastic. Took more than some sides a lot closer bring on a Saturday.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Whilst like every message board you get people that are painfully bias and completely twatish (our own beloved board included) I found this part of X Isle's comment on page 2 really nice and its comments like these that make me proud to be an albion fan. Let the love in commence.

"The last mention I wish to make though was for Albion, the club and the supporters. I know a sponsored silence by a bunch of mute Monks would be noisier than the Withdean but it's not their fault and you always get one or two knobbers willing to take a pop - but throughout the day, in the pub, walking to the ground, walking out afterwards, back in the pub, the Kebab house and the train along the coast NOTHING but sympathy and best wishes, not one sarcastic dig. I know we're quite humble and polite ourselves as a rule but if the roles were reversed I still reckon one of our knobbers would have something 'witty' to say at their plight.

The club itself?, I know they've been through the mill themselves but I wasn't expecting what we got. The tannoy announcer before and after the game wished us all the best and eloquently expressed sympathy, again responded to by the home fans with generous applause but at half time it was even better. Richard Vaughan (the Argyle fan who kicked off their Fans United back in the day) had emailed the club and the whole message was read out. With no editing it pulled no punches, criticised the directors, bigged up the green army and gave a plug for the trust . I've never known a club be that open and genuinely warm. The love-in was palpable, we were amongst friends and in todays cynical world of football it was breath of fresh air, something genuinely unique. They applauded us, we applauded them. Good on you Albion, some faith in football and humanity has been restored tonight.

So, back home, coffee on and soon to bed after the most enjoyable drubbing I can recall for a very long time - probably the 7-0 at Griffin Park.

Can't make Colchester as i'm back to work this weekend but i'd urge anyone who was perhaps put off tonight by the journey, the Withdean or maybe just the pure futility of the exercise to make the effort on Saturday. In much bigger numbers that atmosphere is just what Home Park needs, a smile was put back on my face tonight, and it's been a while. I really hope that spirit can be repatriated.

Our backs are against the wall now, all we can do is come out smiling."

Fans United, let it continue. :ascarf:

NUFC1892

Feb 13, 2011
Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
Deadest I've ever heard withdean tonight. There were times when it was actually silent, nobody was even talking.

I don't care anymore, I'm just counting the days 'til I'm back on the northstand.

I witnessed it at Newcastle last season. Some games we would take the lead quite early and then continue to dominate, the game was pretty much over by half time and the atmosphere just wouldn't get going. It's the same at Old Trafford and Stamford Bridge tbh. Sad state of affairs I suppose but it's natural.

The atmosphere was better at 1-4 against Arsenal the other week than it was when we thumped Barnsley, Coventry, Scunny etc last season.

matteh.

Feb 23, 2011
You dominated us, as simple as that. We weren't in the game at all and anyone who disagrees with that is either blind or delusional. I said to a Brighton fan before the game it would probably be 5-0 and I was close, but we picked a team I never expected we would. Still, that shouldn't be an excuse, especially when we lost by such a large margin.

From the kick off you passed it around our team and every single one of our players looked low on confidence. From what I could (barely) see, you would easily be able to play in the Championship as long as you strengthen a few areas of the squad (replace Barnes and try to bring Wood back in on loan). You just ooze quality throughout your team and this time last year, I would have been embarrassed to lose to Brighton 4-0, but tonight, I was glad that we managed to keep it down to 4-0.

Massive credit to your fans, nearly all of them clapped us and I was overwhelmed by the reaction.

Good luck in the Championship next year guys, great set of fans who thankfully saw the funny side of me singing "Lost in the Playoffs, you're gonna lose in the playoffs" outside the ground!

Oh, and stay away from Joe Mason. Watching you tonight I realised he would fit perfectly into your team.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
You dominated us, as simple as that. We weren't in the game at all and anyone who disagrees with that is either blind or delusional. I said to a Brighton fan before the game it would probably be 5-0 and I was close, but we picked a team I never expected we would. Still, that shouldn't be an excuse, especially when we lost by such a large margin.

From the kick off you passed it around our team and every single one of our players looked low on confidence. From what I could (barely) see, you would easily be able to play in the Championship as long as you strengthen a few areas of the squad (replace Barnes and try to bring Wood back in on loan). You just ooze quality throughout your team and this time last year, I would have been embarrassed to lose to Brighton 4-0, but tonight, I was glad that we managed to keep it down to 4-0.

Massive credit to your fans, nearly all of them clapped us and I was overwhelmed by the reaction.

Good luck in the Championship next year guys, great set of fans who thankfully saw the funny side of me singing "Lost in the Playoffs, you're gonna lose in the playoffs" outside the ground!

Oh, and stay away from Joe Mason. Watching you tonight I realised he would fit perfectly into your team.

I don't think there's anything wrong with Barnes, he's still young and has plenty to learn and his record for us is decent(16 goals in 31 starts). Wood is a great player and has alot of potential, would love him back next season.

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6
Whilst like every message board you get people that are painfully bias and completely twatish (our own beloved board included) I found this part of X Isle's comment on page 2 really nice and its comments like these that make me proud to be an albion fan. Let the love in commence.

"The last mention I wish to make though was for Albion, the club and the supporters. I know a sponsored silence by a bunch of mute Monks would be noisier than the Withdean but it's not their fault and you always get one or two knobbers willing to take a pop - but throughout the day, in the pub, walking to the ground, walking out afterwards, back in the pub, the Kebab house and the train along the coast NOTHING but sympathy and best wishes, not one sarcastic dig. I know we're quite humble and polite ourselves as a rule but if the roles were reversed I still reckon one of our knobbers would have something 'witty' to say at their plight.

The club itself?, I know they've been through the mill themselves but I wasn't expecting what we got. The tannoy announcer before and after the game wished us all the best and eloquently expressed sympathy, again responded to by the home fans with generous applause but at half time it was even better. Richard Vaughan (the Argyle fan who kicked off their Fans United back in the day) had emailed the club and the whole message was read out. With no editing it pulled no punches, criticised the directors, bigged up the green army and gave a plug for the trust . I've never known a club be that open and genuinely warm. The love-in was palpable, we were amongst friends and in todays cynical world of football it was breath of fresh air, something genuinely unique. They applauded us, we applauded them. Good on you Albion, some faith in football and humanity has been restored tonight.

So, back home, coffee on and soon to bed after the most enjoyable drubbing I can recall for a very long time - probably the 7-0 at Griffin Park.

Can't make Colchester as i'm back to work this weekend but i'd urge anyone who was perhaps put off tonight by the journey, the Withdean or maybe just the pure futility of the exercise to make the effort on Saturday. In much bigger numbers that atmosphere is just what Home Park needs, a smile was put back on my face tonight, and it's been a while. I really hope that spirit can be repatriated.

Our backs are against the wall now, all we can do is come out smiling."

Fans United, let it continue. :ascarf:

Agreed. Great post.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
The biggest surprise to me is that people are surprised that there was no atmosphere at the game. Right from the off it was ob iously not much of a contest and it was definitely over after 48 minutes. We played some nice football at times but I certainly don't blame Gus for getting the team to take their foot off with so many games coming up in March. To get an atmosphere you need some excitement. To get excitement you need a contest. This match was no contest.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here