Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amex travel questions and *now* answers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Seems an odd request to the club - what are you on about? As a starting point, you can only get a blue badge if:
1) You're registered blind OR
2) Receiving War Pensioner's mobilty supplement or higher rate mobilty component of Disability Living Allowance OR
3) Have a permanent and substantial disability which means you cannot walk, or makes walking very difficult OR
4) Drive a motor vehicle regularly and have a severe disability in both arms, making it very difficult or impossible to operate parking meters
The first two categories are self evident and you have to undergo a medical assessment to qualify under 3 and 4.

Whatever, but it's my view there are a lot of very mobile people out there who abuse the system one way or another, either themselves or via another person's badge. I hope the club look into every request on it's own merits and ensure that no abuse of disabled parking places takes place.

How did those who didn't get spaces at Withdean deal with it? Was there an alternative place for them to use?
They were, of course, free of charge, like all parking at Withdean (including the public free parking that was available to users of the shoppers' park & ride service). My experience is that it was possible to book a disabled parking space at Withdean on a match by match basis and that there were available alternatives nearby for latecomers (including spaces in the public car-park and some on-street parking).

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Is it a 'given' that all 40 odd blue badge spaces will be taken? If it is, and there is further demand, it would be reasonable to expect the club to increase the number of spaces. No point having empty spaces, 2 of which could be converted to 3 regular parking spaces.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Seems an odd request to the club - what are you on about? As a starting point, you can only get a blue badge if:
1) You're registered blind OR
2) Receiving War Pensioner's mobilty supplement or higher rate mobilty component of Disability Living Allowance OR
3) Have a permanent and substantial disability which means you cannot walk, or makes walking very difficult OR
4) Drive a motor vehicle regularly and have a severe disability in both arms, making it very difficult or impossible to operate parking meters
The first two categories are self evident and you have to undergo a medical assessment to qualify under 3 and 4.

What he is saying we all know of someone who has a blue badge, that either does not deserve it, or using someone else to evade parking restrictions.
number 3 is heavily abused.

What he is saying we all know of someone who has a blue badge, that either does not deserve it, or using someone else to evade parking restrictions.
... mainly by GPs, some of whom are happy to dole out Blue Badges to people who qualify on the grounds of "I don't fancy using buses and would like free town centre car parking, please".

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Correct. And where I live I regularly see very mobile single car occupants park up, pop the blue badge on the dash and at times literally run to the shops on George St in Hove. I do not believe every one is genuinely disabled, and they certainly have no to few mobility issues. In fact a number of badge abusers have been caught at the end of my road over the past few years.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
... mainly by GPs, some of whom are happy to dole out Blue Badges to people who qualify on the grounds of "I don't fancy using buses and would like free town centre car parking, please".

Correct.

When I was a member of the Disabled Persons Transport Advisory Committee that was reviewing the Blue Badge scheme on behalf of the government about ten years ago, we commissioned some research into the resale value of Blue Badges. Since they offered free town centre parking, it was no surprise that, in some places, they were changing hands for well over £1,000.

The point is, of course, that abuse of Blue Badges makes it very difficult for some people in genuine need of the benefits of having one find it almost impossible to find a parking space where they can use it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
When I was a member of the Disabled Persons Transport Advisory Committee that was reviewing the Blue Badge scheme on behalf of the government about ten years ago, we commissioned some research into the resale value of Blue Badges. Since they offered free town centre parking, it was no surprise that, in some places, they were changing hands for well over £1,000.

The point is, of course, that abuse of Blue Badges makes it very difficult for some people in genuine need of the benefits of having one find it almost impossible to find a parking space where they can use it.

I therefore hope the club look into each case as opposed to simply dishing out a disabled parking space to anyone who applies with a blue badge then. I appreciate this is unlikely though, and also a very sensitive and emotive subject which will probably hinder discussion within the club.

OK I give up guys. Tbh, I've never really looked at whether the blue badge system is widely abused but clearly their is some. Like HT, I can't really see the club doing much more than just taking the badge at face value when allocating the miserly 46 spaces.

LB - do you have that link to the current guidance for disabled spaces in new stadia etc please? I've lost it and can't find your previous post where it's located. Ta.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
OK I give up guys. Tbh, I've never really looked at whether the blue badge system is widely abused but clearly their is some. Like HT, I can't really see the club doing much more than just taking the badge at face value when allocating the miserly 46 spaces.

LB - do you have that link to the current guidance for disabled spaces in new stadia etc please? I've lost it and can't find your previous post where it's located. Ta.

If you talk to anyone connected in anyway to blue badges, as a user, an administrator etc I am sure they will tell you the same ie it is an overly, openly and easily abused scheme. It's a shame, as there is a lot of genuine need.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
i would like to know how trains running each hour on match day,s (thats btn to falmer). living in worthing i understand thats i have to get a ticket to shoreham as last season, then the £30 book takes over is that right. please reply anyone.

Yup, that's as I understand it. Also living in Worthing, we're investigating whether the bus is a better option, given that the subsidised travel seems to include us for buses, but the train coverage only starts at Shoreham.

The reference I have is this:-
technical guidance / Football Foundation

Click on:-
3. Access and provision for disabled spectators

... and up pops this:-

Car parking

As mentioned previously, cars are the most common means of transport to matches for disabled people. Clubs who provide match day parking (free or paid for) have a duty to provide the same facility to disabled supporters, including disabled away supporters. Management should ensure that designated and allocated parking bays are supervised and controlled by match day stewards.

Part M requires that parking bays designated for disabled people should be provided ‘as close as feasible to the principal entrance of a building’. Because of the size and elongated layout of stadia it is recommended that designated parking bays should be as close as feasible to any entrance for disabled people. The design of kerbside and off-street parking bays is shown in BS 8300 Figs 1, 2 and 3.

BS 8300 states that at recreation and leisure facilities 6% of total car parking capacity should be allocated, it goes on to add that this requirement will need to be greater for stadia.

Consultation with disabled supporters should allow a fair and reasonable provision at the stadium.

jmsc

Jul 19, 2003
Old Shoreham Road :o(
If you talk to anyone connected in anyway to blue badges, as a user, an administrator etc I am sure they will tell you the same ie it is an overly, openly and easily abused scheme. It's a shame, as there is a lot of genuine need.

Before you all get very "Daily Mail" over this, perhaps you would like to hear something from the other side.

As a multiple sclerosis sufferer, I have a blue badge. In the 12 years we've been at Withdean, I've used it
twice, once when I couldn't walk from the taxi drop off point and once when recovering from a heart attack.

I've missed games when I've been too disabled to enjoy it but I really resent your inference that we don't
deserve a blue badge.

The people I know with severe handicaps try their hardest to fit in as 'normal' with their able-bodied friends
You come over as a narrow minded bigot!

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Crikey -Is anyone actually going to answer these questions? A few speculative attempts but nothing official by the looks of it. I have to drive (from Horsham) and the prospect of trying to buy a parking space doesn't look good from talk on another thread. So I'm left with the P&R or on street somewhere .. and as someone else mentioned better get it sorted soon or it'll be gridlock at 2.30pm on match days and will soon piss everyone off - home fans, away fans and residents. Also agree that looking to extend capacity before all this is nailed down would be foolish

Status
Not open for further replies.
Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here