Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amex Travel info (vouchers, parking etc) *finally* announced

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Actually if you have three people in the car, as I will have, it's only £250 more than the travel vouchers which will have to be purchased.

If you can get five people in the car that works out at £72 a season each compared to £30 for the vouchers so only £42 extra a season to avoid the train/bus queues

And ignoring your clubs plea to travel sustainably to the stadium as possible.

Tiger Barb

Jan 31, 2009
Finland (where else?)
Is it just me or does anyone else think that it is a bit rich charging the disabled to park? For people in wheelchairs they haven't really got a choice but to park at the stadium - if they can afford it ...

Simontheseagull

Eye from the sky
Jul 11, 2010
The Amex
According to the club's travel plans, througout the first few hours after each match ends, what is the maximum number of people who will be able to catch a train at Falmer railway station.

Can response please provide seperately, numbers for people travelling eastwards and westwards, as well as state separately numbers for a Saturday between 17:00 and 19:00 and a Tuesday evening between 21:45 and 23:45.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Believe it was the Big Lemon who decided to opt out of the scheme, not the Club. In any case frequencies on the 25, 28 and 29 are such that their shouldnt be too much trouble using them for travel to/from the stadium. Particularly as most people will use the train to/from central Brighton. The 5B (Hollingbury Asda), and the 49/49A (Lower Moulsecombe), are good back up options too, as both go within a short walk of the Amex.

I'm amazed that Big Lemon have opted out of this. I thought they were financially struggling - seems mad not to want the business.

There are four 28/29s an hour but only two after 6.00 - not so great for evening games. The 5B does go to Falmer but only two a day do and none in the evening or on Saturdays.

I'm not a bus geek- honest - I just live out that way.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Believe it was the Big Lemon who decided to opt out of the scheme, not the Club. In any case frequencies on the 25, 28 and 29 are such that their shouldnt be too much trouble using them for travel to/from the stadium. Particularly as most people will use the train to/from central Brighton. The 5B (Hollingbury Asda), and the 49/49A (Lower Moulsecombe), are good back up options too, as both go within a short walk of the Amex.
But a bus only holds, what, 80 people?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
But a bus only holds, what, 80 people?

Yep valid point, especially relevent when leaving the Amex. Lets just hope that upon the final whistle the great majority make a beeline for the station rather than the bus stop making it easier for us bus travellers to get away. Either that or they retire to the bar for a post-match drinky or three.

Another question to addressed is which bus stop to head for?, the 25 departs from a seperate bus stop, and in a totally different place from the 28 and 29.

Questions, questions! And now for another one..

Does anyone know if we can use a travel voucher for multiple methods of transport?

For instance, can I, say, get a *BUS* from Worthing to Shoreham, then *TRAIN* from Shoreham to the Amex? Or does the bus driver retain the stub preventing me from using at Shoreham train station?

Anyone try this at Withdean?

Cheers guys!
This is how I regularly travelled to Withdean:-

Walk to bus stop;
Bus to Glynde Station - pay for the journey, because it's outside the Travel Voucher area;
Train from Glynde to London Road - Return train ticket (paid for on the day) from Glynde to Lewes; Travel Voucher used on the train between Lewes and London Road (not collected by the train company);
Walk to Preston Circus;
Bus to Withdean - Using the same Travel Voucher.

If Travel Vouchers had to be handed in, a journey like that would require twice as many Vouchers.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Another question to addressed is which bus stop to head for?, the 25 departs from a seperate bus stop, and in a totally different place from the 28 and 29.

That's only true going to the stadium; going back to Brighton, the 25, 28 and 29 all stop just outside Falmer station.

Al Bion

What's that in my dustbin
Sep 3, 2004
Up North
And ignoring your clubs plea to travel sustainably to the stadium as possible.

As I already have upwards of a four hour (each way) trip to the stadium, any way that I can cut out lengthy queues for the park & ride, train or bus so that I can get home at a respectable time need to be considered. However, surely travelling with 4/5 people in one car is making the best of a bad job.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
As I already have upwards of a four hour (each way) trip to the stadium, any way that I can cut out lengthy queues for the park & ride, train or bus so that I can get home at a respectable time need to be considered. However, surely travelling with 4/5 people in one car is making the best of a bad job.

The university parking spaces could come with quite a delay getting away built-in...

"On Saturdays only, the use of space will be maximized with the use of block parking - i.e. bumper to bumper and not in parking bays. "

It won't take too many people grabbing a beer, perusing the shop or sorting out tickets etc for your car to be blocked in when you're ready to escape.

Smithy

Apr 26, 2009
Hove
It's not clear but I presume you don't have to use the same method of transport to travel to and from the stadium using the travel vouchers? For example, use the first portion of the voucher to get the bus to the stadium and then use the second portion of the voucher to get the train back?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
The university parking spaces could come with quite a delay getting away built-in...

"On Saturdays only, the use of space will be maximized with the use of block parking - i.e. bumper to bumper and not in parking bays. "

It won't take too many people grabbing a beer, perusing the shop or sorting out tickets etc for your car to be blocked in when you're ready to escape.

Here in Borneo they do block parking, but ask you to leave your handbrake off, and then there is a team of people pushing cars around to get people in and out. Works a treat :thumbsup:

He will be devastated not to be running this thread
Actually ... I'd be devastated if I WAS running this thread. The point about any travel arrangement is that it affects a lot of people. Once a discussion becomes a dragged out rant by a few obsessive individuals, it's just embarassing.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
That's only true going to the stadium; going back to Brighton, the 25, 28 and 29 all stop just outside Falmer station.

The 25 only stops at falmer station after stopping at Sussex Uni, village way and Brighton Uni. Think it might be full after that! In fact, the best way to get a bus may be to get one heading towards the stadium at Sussex Uni!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
It's not clear but I presume you don't have to use the same method of transport to travel to and from the stadium using the travel vouchers? For example, use the first portion of the voucher to get the bus to the stadium and then use the second portion of the voucher to get the train back?

No. At Withdean I often got the train there and bus back.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
Actually ... I'd be devastated if I WAS running this thread. The point about any travel arrangement is that it affects a lot of people. Once a discussion becomes a dragged out rant by a few obsessive individuals, it's just embarassing.

this seems like a strange response to what appears as a thread full of considered and sensible responses to this travel document

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
For me there will be 4 adults and 3 kids all travelling together, £210 on the buses for all of us getting the vouchers or £360 for a car parking space? For the sake of another £150 spread between us all I think we'll choose the convenience of the car.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Inevitably, the release of the Club's travel information has created almost as many questions as answers.

The question I have is why didn't they ask Lord Bracknell to assist in the creation of the travel plan? There can be few people in Sussex with a more detailed grasp of public transport and planning.

Of course, they may have done this (I have no idea) and LB may have declined.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here