Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ambrose

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
He's worth a lot more than £250k, but he's only got 1 year on his contract and he's not the player he was in his first season (or even close). He's also on over £13k per week, so it's really not surprising that Palace are so keen to move him on.

Ambrose is being swapped for McCormack, pretty much.

According to CPFC2010, selling Ambrose means that they can reject offers for any of the younger players, meaning Zaha is almost certainly a Palace player next season. Looking at it that way, it seems like a good business decision but it has certainly pissed off a few fans. Mr. Freedman doesn't appear to be the type of guy to worry about sentiment, but as long as he gets results I don't suppose it matters.

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
According to CPFC2010, selling Ambrose means that they can reject offers for any of the younger players, meaning Zaha is almost certainly a Palace player next season. .

Sorry, but that's horseshit.

Zaha is worth about £4m in today's market. You either need that £4m or you don't.

Selling Ambrose for £250k won't count for much, if you do need it. If you're not broke, they wouldn't need to be sold anyway.

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
Sorry, but that's horseshit.

Zaha is worth about £4m in today's market. You either need that £4m or you don't.

Selling Ambrose for £250k won't count for much, if you do need it. If you're not broke, they wouldn't need to be sold anyway.

The £250k is irrelevant (if that is the real figure). It's his massive wages that probably make him the highest earner at the club, which Freedman will benefit from having in his budget.

According to the chairmen, they have no need to sell players, but Freedman can make his budget bigger if he does.

As for Zaha being worth £4m, that's just silly - but you knew that already. If that was true then Southamptons offer of £8m for Zaha and Clyne would have been accepted, surely? Obviously it hasn't though.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The £250k is irrelevant (if that is the real figure). It's his massive wages that probably make him the highest earner at the club, which Freedman will benefit from having in his budget.

According to the chairmen, they have no need to sell players, but Freedman can make his budget bigger if he does.

As for Zaha being worth £4m, that's just silly - but you knew that already. If that was true then Southamptons offer of £8m for Zaha and Clyne would have been accepted, surely? Obviously it hasn't though.

I said he was WORTH £4m, not what you want for him, or what someone might be prepared to pay...

And Ambrose's saved wages won't stop you losing money, if you replace him with McCormack on the same or higher.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
big club! funniest comment yet, must be the board comedian.

Ross McCormack would undoubtedly find it hilarious if he was given a choice between playing in a team with 4 (FOUR) footballers with Champions League experience , a state of the art award winning stadium , 22,000+ season ticket holders , playing the pure form of football , a manager who gets the best out of his players or moving to a shithole in SE25.

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
I said he was WORTH £4m, not what you want for him, or what someone might be prepared to pay...

And Ambrose's saved wages won't stop you losing money, if you replace him with McCormack on the same or higher.

The sports editor for the Daily Mail just tweeted that he has spoken to Birmingham City FC, and that the Ambrose deal was for approx. £1m

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The sports editor for the Daily Mail just tweeted that he has spoken to Birmingham City FC, and that the Ambrose deal was for approx. £1m

We'll never really know. I doubt it was quite as low as £250k

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011

CPFC2010 know that Palace will lose money as a club again next season - almost every club in the league loses money. However, his saved wages can be farmed back into Freedman's kitty.

If the Ambrose fee really is £1m, he'll have paid for McCormack by himself I'd imagine.

Jan 12, 2012
The fee will probably remain undisclosed.I think the decision to sell him was based on him being in his last year of his contract, and his large salary. He had a brilliant 1st season with us,but he sadly never matched it again and was constantly getting injuries. Lots of our fans are not happy about him going, but on reflection, it's probably the best decision for everyone.
If we sign a decent replacement, the anger will soon subside, that's football for you.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Your club has officially announced the fee as "undisclosed" , suggesting £250k up front , another £250k based on appearances and £500k if Birmingham get promoted whilst he is still on the books. A 2 year deal with an option of an extra year is probably what he was after and got it.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
CPFC2010 know that Palace will lose money as a club again next season - almost every club in the league loses money. However, his saved wages can be farmed back into Freedman's kitty.

If the Ambrose fee really is £1m, he'll have paid for McCormack by himself I'd imagine.

By the way where is Ross ??? :lolol:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Just seen Ross McCormack and Gus eating at the Italian in Woodland Drive.

Don't they have a 2 for 1 offer at Donatello's on Fridays ? Gus is certainly splashing the cash (or using Mr A Bloom's Amex card)

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
These transfers can take time.

CPFC2010 have hinted that he's coming, but obviously can't say anything 'til it's official. I'd be very surprised if he wasn't a Palace player next season.

A month ago would you have been surprised if someone suggested, Gardner, Scannell and Ambrose would be gone?

Glenn-Murray

Banned
Jun 24, 2011
A month ago would you have been surprised if someone suggested, Gardner, Scannell and Ambrose would be gone?

Sort of. Gardner was pretty much certain to leave. Scannell I thought would stay but wouldn't really do anything. I thought Ambrose would leave until he said he wanted a new contract, but our form in the second half of the season was diabolical and took us from top 6 to lower midtable. Something need to change big time, and it looks like Dougie has identified what he thought the problem was.

Thankfully we've managed to keep Zaha and Williams - the two most prized assets - and we look to be adding to those quality players with a couple more.

Signed:

Joel Ward - £400k
Aaron Martin - Loan
Aaron Wilbraham - Free

Sold:

Scannell - £400k
Ambrose - £250k

Selling:

Zaha
Pedroza

Offered new contracts but didn't want to stay:

Clyne (due tribunal fee)