Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

All you postmen out there

Neil

Eastie
Aug 27, 2010
Langney
If you dont want junkmail through your door you can either stop them on the MPS online and also stop the Royal Mail household items by filling a form in from the Post Office.
Sticking a note on your door saying NO JUNK MAIL makes no difference as we l have to deliver them or we would get the sack , also asylum seekers delivering Pizza flyers cant speak English so dont understand the message on your door either

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There is a difference between people not wanting them, and them not being effective. I've ordered plenty of food from "junk mail" menus posted through my door.
It's an odd thing, the take up percentage has to be so small to make them viable we all have to have them.

I think it's something like only 1% of 5% of responses have to turn into cash to make door to doors pay for themselves.

Neil

Eastie
Aug 27, 2010
Langney
today we had postmen in overnight throwing off flats packets and mail, postmen not leaving till 1045, told not to have meal relief and just book it.
The walker coming in 2 hours early starting at 6am and not 8am and the driver starting 30 mins early at 5.45.
6 packet bags and york of big boxes , households and 18 delivery bags . Van was completely full
Cut off at 2.25 PM 6 big bags to go and the docket by another took 3 hours 30 to complete.
Sky mags not touched yet
How can you embrace that Statbrother?

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
today we had postmen in overnight throwing off flats packets and mail, postmen not leaving till 1045, told not to have meal relief and just book it.
The walker coming in 2 hours early starting at 6am and not 8am and the driver starting 30 mins early at 5.45.
6 packet bags and york of big boxes , households and 18 delivery bags . Van was completely full
Cut off at 2.25 PM 6 big bags to go and the docket took 3 hours 30 to complete.
Sky mags not touched yet

Because a load of blokes DONT want it to work!!

Neil

Eastie
Aug 27, 2010
Langney
Are you a postie Durrington Gull ?
its physically impossible as the rounds are at least 1 hour 30 longer than before plus we have to do all the big packets , scanning tracked, specials and recordeds throw off 1200 households per day into frames that are not big enough ,thay have loads of doubles in them with one fulltime and one part time working on them.
Your walks must be smaller that all I can say.
Some of our frames are 12 foot long have 3 redirection books and over a 1000 delivery points on them.Thats a lot of households to throw off and deliver when you have 4 a week
Are yours that big?
Will end up having a 4 day week of 10 hours soon

Last edited:

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I have a certain amount of sympathy for postpersons as I see them desperately trying to peddle a heavyweight bike with two or three or more large panniers of mail dripping from the handlebars or somewhere close to the rear wheel.

The crux is that £25K ish is a pretty reasonable income today (in banking from 1993 to 2009, my income progressed from £12.5K to £16.5K and I was a decent performer !) so I suppose depends upon the hours expected of you !

Small stupid point I picked up on, the Royal Mail nationally would surely save a reasonable sum if posties stuck the red rubber bands into their sacks for re-use ? They are all over the place and that is the sort of thing that accountants pick up on.

From the perspective of parcels/packet delivery, I can understand them playing with other options but give those a fair try, but, if they don't work I am sure management will revert.

Not meant to be an antagonistic post !

Neil

Eastie
Aug 27, 2010
Langney
not allowed to use bikes anymore for health and safety issues and new ways of working in pairs.
Dont have packet drivers to drop overload bags off anymore either .
Ex Drivers are now delivering mail as well because they have reduced the postmen and made the rounds bigger to cover the shotfall of staff the postmen have to deliver all parcels regardless of size on their rounds as well.
Mail will be later due to not leaving the office now till about 10 am

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Because if you don't you'll end up shafted by it.

Nights are very slowly disappearing from our office 2-3 months in.
As for your quantities, that seems somewhat excessive between the 2 rounds although we'll have 4 packet bags.
The big packets usually are pretty straight forward, you just drop them off on your way past.
Today only amounted to 12 pouches, very few biggies.
I, as usual, wandered in bang on time, had an hour break, 8:45 to 9:45, finished delivery at 13:30.
Home, lunch, back to the office for 2:30. Happy days

A few people are still 'fighting' the workload, and are deeply unhappy at work.

All I can say is, know your round, make the adjustments to make it work, and keep making them to suit the situation.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
From the perspective of parcels/packet delivery, I can understand them playing with other options but give those a fair try, but, if they don't work I am sure management will revert.

Not meant to be an antagonistic post !
That's way to funny to be antagonistic.

Neil

Eastie
Aug 27, 2010
Langney
:lol:
Ok I see now. Very funny!

If only we all had such cushy hours! 4 day weeks sound bliss.[/QUOTE like to see you try walking at 4mph with 20kg on your back for 5 hours, whilst holding a bundle of mail, a parcel , scanner and wriiting out a docket at the same time

Neil

Eastie
Aug 27, 2010
Langney
Because if you don't you'll end up shafted by it.

Nights are very slowly disappearing from our office 2-3 months in.
As for your quantities, that seems somewhat excessive between the 2 rounds although we'll have 4 packet bags.
The big packets usually are pretty straight forward, you just drop them off on your way past.
Today only amounted to 12 pouches, very few biggies.
I, as usual, wandered in bang on time, had an hour break, 8:45 to 9:45, finished delivery at 13:30.
Home, lunch, back to the office for 2:30. Happy days

A few people are still 'fighting' the workload, and are deeply unhappy at work.

All I can say is, know your round, make the adjustments to make it work, and keep making them to suit the situation.

I know the round , but they have just put too much on it plus I dont have enough time to throw it off .
I used to work an 8 hour day starting at 6.15 and finished at 1.30pm no problems.
Difference is now I have to start work at 8.00am, nobody to throw my round off as my partner has to throw his off and go sorting for 30 minutes and then we both have to prep households leaving me well behind.
I thought that when part timers who worked 4 days a week for 8 hours a day on their own round were changed to 5 day a week for 6 hours 15 mins we would get help with throwing off before we came in at 8 am ?
What times do you get your walksorted trays in the morning ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
like to see you try walking at 4mph with 20kg on your back for 5 hours, whilst holding a bundle of mail, a parcel , scanner and wriiting out a docket at the same time
For the 1st week I carried the 'lighter' loops if it was in say a 10kg pouch.
But my back was agony, by the end (it ain't the greatest of backs anyway).

So now everything is loaded onto the trolley, scanner goes over the handle, if any packets won't fit they get delivered in the van, simple pimple.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I know the round , but they have just put too much on it plus I dont have enough time to throw it off .
I used to work an 8 hour day starting at 6.15 and finished at 1.30pm no problems.
Difference is now I have to start work at 8.00am, nobody to throw my round off as my partner has to throw his off and go sorting for 30 minutes and then we both have to prep households leaving me well behind.
I thought that when part timers who worked 4 days a week for 8 hours a day on their own round were changed to 5 day a week for 6 hours 15 mins we would get help with throwing off before we came in at 8 am ?
Deffo, so don't make it work, or else they'll never change.
You need a designated throwerofferer (that is a word).
There is no way you can do the job starting at 8 to an empty frame.

Would your day 'work' if it was bang up to date when you walked in?
I guess if it was you'd have time to work through other issues.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Neil

Sorry mate but the posties were still using bikes in Worthing at least within the past few days.

This question of unsolicited mail, it is one which the average household does NOT want, so perhaps that is one where management should be looking at what Royal Mail gets out of that and upping the price ! (thereby getting greater income and being accordingly able to deploy greater resources OR alternatively relieving posties of their unnecessary work load ) I baulk sometimes when I see the crap which has come through my door and multiply that times the imagined number of households the postie is going to be delivering to !

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The new way of working is being rolled out across the country, give it time.

The thing RM get out of households, is a sh*t load of cash.
There's only one way RM will alter the system, and that's to add more contracts, esp now we are no longer on piece work for them.
RM is laughing all the way to ... the pensions deficit (sadly not the bank).

Neil

Eastie
Aug 27, 2010
Langney
We dont have enough staff to throw off other peoples frames, we have 2 longterm sick but they dont get anyone else in.
We dont use trolleys either, they have stopped it and have to go in a buddy van with my partner.
The rounds are all set out wrong and the planners have gone awol
As for the Colleague shares no comment

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Surely you have the 'new golf trolleys'?, that's what I meant.

Our sorting frames were so amazingly screwed I still haven't got a clue 3 months later.
They haven't even put the 2 rounds side by side on them.
And yes like you, the planners turned up, turned everything on it's head, took every comment as a personnel attack, then f**ked off without listening to a word.

Neil

Eastie
Aug 27, 2010
Langney
not only us then. Golf trolleys no good because we have lots of steps on the pathways and you cant lock them when you go into flats.
prefer the old bags you can get more in them , the other pouches are cr*p and you wouldnt get the packets in there let alone the bundles

Neil

Eastie
Aug 27, 2010
Langney
200 hours overtime during the changover, all rounds in our office are Pegasus timed at 4 hours 15 per round but nobody getting out until around 10 am and can't complete, total cockup by management. They have also reduced the staff in our office.
They are now having overnight sorters to stop the backlog

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yep all sounds familiar.
We're 3 months in, and nights are just coming out.
I don't think your supposed to be out of the office any earlier, I leave at 9:45, but never any later than 10.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here