Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

All you postmen out there

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I am afraid all posties are on a loser here. Ever since the PO started recruiting managers from the newly opened Universities in the 70's they have had a succession of numptys with needlework degrees being able to rearrange working practises to save money. All these changes over the years succeed in achieving is disgruntled staff and customers. Probably.
The Union has to take some responsibility though.
Our Management is sh*te, which is exploited by the Union.
It feels like every decision that is made has to go through these people.
Who in turn feel some way 'protected' so they can do what they want, when they want, whilst pointing the finger at non union staff for doing exactly the same.

The childish double standards that are rife, certainly in our office, demeans all the positives that we do get from the union.
Not to mention making it virtually impossible to ever having any productive unity.

Last edited:

Neil

Eastie
Aug 27, 2010
Langney
Do you start at your normal start time or come in early Stat brother, and do you take your 40mins meal relief.
Some postmen come in and start sorting up to 30 minutes before start time and dont take a meal relief, thats plain stupid

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Totally mental, you'll never catch me giving my bosses a single second.
But the difference between myself and SOME of my colleagues, is that I don't expect to be owed time either.

I stroll in @ 6:30 on the dot and start work.
I don't then stand around chatting/moaning/drinking coffee, for 20 mins before I do anything.
Then bibble on that I can't possibly finish.
I have my full 40 mins break, minimum.

Then I leave the office and work till it's done.

Mar 10, 2006
Well done mate, at least your being honest. The truth is that there are a hardcore of posties who are determined NOT to make it work! - no matter what!!, I'm afraid that's why the company are in a mess.

Wrong! Royal Mail is in a mess because there are thousands of people walking around the company masquerading as managers when in fact they are nothing of the sort. They haven't a clue what being a manager means or involves plus the company is top heavy with non productive staff with fancy job titles.

Neil

Eastie
Aug 27, 2010
Langney
problem is at our office is that some of the rounds are rediculously heavy with flats, and have heavy amounts of packets which are unachievable ( council areas).
They have also reduced the staff by 10% and also added the extra parcels.
Im not saying that all the rounds are that bad but it also depends on your partner as well.
It doesn't need Einstein to tell you that if you were working to time before, with the extra put on your round and extra packets it isnt going to work.

Neil

Eastie
Aug 27, 2010
Langney
[/B]
Wrong! Royal Mail is in a mess because there are thousands of people walking around the company masquerading as managers when in fact they are nothing of the sort. They haven't a clue what being a manager means or involves plus the company is top heavy with non productive staff with fancy job titles.
I agree with that 100% another one is the planners for these new walks. Some of us postmen went in and told them the walks were wrong and some of the postmen even walk tested them with a manager showing that Pegasus was wrong by as much as an hour and a half and the answer they got back from the planners was " The computer can't be wrong, you must have been walking slow"

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I do a fair few of my previous floating duties now, as I did then.

1 in particular I was totally adament was a non starter.
But we sail round it now, yes it's slower on foot, by an hour, but with 2 of us we are there for an hour less, (for non posties, 3 hours by bike, 4 hours to deliver the whole thing, 2 hours when both of us do it) without the need for pouch drops and large packets staff.

The problem can be, with SOME staff, is being so negative.
Because 'it's not how it used to be', starting the day sure you'll not finish and hey guess what, they don't.

I'm very surprised I've taken to the van, I love cycling round and being on my own, but there's no point not embracing these changes there here, to stay (ish).

Neil

Eastie
Aug 27, 2010
Langney
you say "4 hours to deliver the whole thing, 2 hours when both of us do it"
dont you mean 4 hours for the walker and 3 hours for the driver to walk their individual loops and 1 hour for the driver to do all the packets meaning 4 hours each ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nah, sorry I didn't think I'd made it clear.
My colleague was sick one day, and no cover in the office, so I only took the one round out.
The round in question happened to be one of mine from the bike days, so therefore I know, it takes me:-

3 hours on a bike
4 hours to deliver walking the whole thing, (from a van)
2 hours when we are both there to do it.

Obviously when on the bike, I needed my pouches dropped off and couldn't take big packets.

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
Don't worry posties, you're doing a great job, but it won't last. This LimCon lot are going to sell you off and then these idoits on here will really have something to complain about.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
3 hours on a bike
4 hours to deliver walking the whole thing, (from a van)
2 hours when we are both there to do it.

Obviously when on the bike, I needed my pouches dropped off and couldn't take big packets.

Stupid question alert ! How does cutting down your round from 4 hours with just you to 2 hours with two of you save money ? Surely it's still the same amount of man hours ?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Because we now take everything.
Previously because we were on cost effective energy efficient bikes, we were limited by what we could carry.
So lets say a round consists of 7 pouches, and 10 big packages.
We'd get 2 of those pouches on the bike.
The other 5 pouches would be delivered to a secure drop.
The 10 packages would be delivered either by that driver later in the day, or by a designated packet driver.

Now, in expensive vans, we take everything thereby doing away with at least 1 van driver.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
If it helps speed things up for you, I'm quite happy for you stop delivering junk mail to my place. I honestly don't need any more home insurance, boiler cover or pizzas thanks.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
The last few parcels i have had have been partly opened.Nosy bastards.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If you write to your delivery depot they will remove you from there list.

That was our little cash cow.
We were paid (a nominal amount) for each item delivered.
3 items x 500 calls, that nominal amount soon mounted up.

Now, since the last agreement, we still get a nominal amount only now it's a flat rate, and the minimum amount has been lifted to 6.
Twice the work for less than half the money, for something we all know nobody wants.

I believe that the upper limit will be possibly as high as 11 pieces, sometime in the future.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The last few parcels i have had have been partly opened.Nosy bastards.
Partly opened or badly packaged.
We don't walk around with a silk cushion under every parcel.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I suppose you dont drop your dog ends or let your dog sh1t on the pavement mr perfect

Sorry you may have missed the "wink", but hey. No I'm not perfect but I don't keep doing something I know pisses people off.

For the record don't smoke and ALWAYS picked up the poo when I did have a dog, BECAUSE I know it pisses people off and is the RIGHT thing to do.

Any ho ... crack on there's a good chap!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As said on here before.
We prove a service that allows you to send a letter from Penzance to John O'Groats, arriving next day, for 40p, and FREE stationary.

Come on what more do you want, from us.

If you write to your delivery depot they will remove you from there list.

That was our little cash cow.
We were paid (a nominal amount) for each item delivered.
3 items x 500 calls, that nominal amount soon mounted up.

Now, since the last agreement, we still get a nominal amount only now it's a flat rate, and the minimum amount has been lifted to 6.
Twice the work for less than half the money, for something we all know nobody wants.

I believe that the upper limit will be possibly as high as 11 pieces, sometime in the future.

If, as you say, no-one wants them, do you really believe that the company would go to the effort of designing the piece, printing it and delivering it to the Royal Mail on pallets all marked for specific postcodes and paying per item for them to be delivered.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
If, as you say, no-one wants them, do you really believe that the company would go to the effort of designing the piece, printing it and delivering it to the Royal Mail on pallets all marked for specific postcodes and paying per item for them to be delivered.

There is a difference between people not wanting them, and them not being effective. I've ordered plenty of food from "junk mail" menus posted through my door.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here