Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

All time favourite brighton player

Jul 20, 2003
I should probably give a narrative to justify my selection.

But I don't think it's necessary

Surely Nobby Lawton also a Busby Babe? My favourite was Nobby's midfield partner Dave Turner. Edit: I've just looked up Nobby Lawton and found out he is no longer alive, he was a very good player.

The Busby Babes were the Man Utd players who came through their youth set-up and formed part of the teams that won the Div 1 title in 1955/6 & and 1956/7. Dawson played in the 1956/7 team (he was 17) but Nobbie Lawton didn't debut in the 1st team until after the Munich air crash in Feb 1958 in which many of the "Babes" were killed. Big Alex is still the only player to score a hat-trick in an FA Cup semi-final (1958) and they both played for Preston in the 1964 final vs West Ham, in which Dawson scored in the 2-3 defeat.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Gerry Ryan was the first name that popped into my head.

Although I loved Hans Kraay, he may not have been at the Albion long enough to get past Gerry.

Closely followed by Garry Nelson and then a huge peleton of Albion players.

Current favourite? Elliot Bennett - what a great little player and such a nice guy.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
He certainly was a player.

I am surprised at that nomination.

He wasnt considered a key player at the time and if memory serves me right he wasn't even a regular.

This was a time when we had some real bigtime players at the club and other than being a pal of Stan Bowles and having Ex Miss World Mary Stavin as his then Girlfirend I wouldnt have thought he was up there with the likes of Steve Foster etc.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Hard one to decide. Mine would all come from the same era. Mark Lawro (who never really played for us) was undoubtedly the real class act as his future club showed. The midfield engine and captain invincible Nobby Horton was the greatest captain Brighton have seen in my lifetime. And the goal maestro extraordinary Peter Ward was the most exciting. But for me, and the first name to came to mind was indeed Peter Ward, so he is my favourite off all time.

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
Mark Lawrenson pure class, why did he let his old man talk him into playing for Ireland.

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009
The Busby Babes were the Man Utd players who came through their youth set-up and formed part of the teams that won the Div 1 title in 1955/6 & and 1956/7. Dawson played in the 1956/7 team (he was 17) but Nobbie Lawton didn't debut in the 1st team until after the Munich air crash in Feb 1958 in which many of the "Babes" were killed. Big Alex is still the only player to score a hat-trick in an FA Cup semi-final (1958) and they both played for Preston in the 1964 final vs West Ham, in which Dawson scored in the 2-3 defeat.

Thanks for correcting my impression of the definition of a Busby Babe, " The Albion A-Z" by Carder and Harris also calls Nobby a Busby Babe, but your definition is clearly correct. I remember the 1964 cup final very well and I think Nobby Lawton captained Preston that day, and Howard Kendall became the youngest ever player in a cup final, a record he has since lost. Lawton was an excellent player whose career was dogged by injury problems, which today could probably have been solved. Dave Turner was also plagued by injury problems, but a central midfield with both Turner and Lawton fully fit would have been fantastic. I remember Alex Dawson as the best striker/centre forward I have seen at The Albion with his head, but he was also good on the floor too, and was excellent at holding the ball up with his back to goal, and of course in those days centre halves were able to "tackle" from behind.

Thanks for correcting my impression of the definition of a Busby Babe, " The Albion A-Z" by Carder and Harris also calls Nobby a Busby Babe, but your definition is clearly correct. I remember the 1964 cup final very well and I think Nobby Lawton captained Preston that day, and Howard Kendall became the youngest ever player in a cup final, a record he has since lost. Lawton was an excellent player whose career was dogged by injury problems, which today could probably have been solved. Dave Turner was also plagued by injury problems, but a central midfield with both Turner and Lawton fully fit would have been fantastic. I remember Alex Dawson as the best striker/centre forward I have seen at The Albion with his head, but he was also good on the floor too, and was excellent at holding the ball up with his back to goal, and of course in those days centre halves were able to "tackle" from behind.

Oh God, I don't want to get involved in a disagreement with Tim Carder.
Do you remember Dave Turner scoring against Chelsea in the FAC at the Goldstone? Must have been 1967 and Brian Tawse had what would have been the winner disallowed.
Dawson was indeed no slouch with his feet, he started at Man Utd as a winger!!! Went with my dad by train to watch us win 5-2 at Hartlepool in 1969, Alex scored four that day and was awesome. His battles with Phil Parkes, who was then the Walsall goalie, during the endless FAC replays saga were legendary; Dawson only managed one goal, a subtle backheel that completely wrong-footed Parkes in the Goldstone game.
He also gets a mention in Gary Sprake's autobiography where GS describes him as the most frightening footballer he ever played against.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
His battles with Phil Parkes, who was then the Walsall goalie, during the endless FAC replays saga were legendary; Dawson only managed one goal, a subtle backheel that completely wrong-footed Parkes in the Goldstone game.

Was that the only time he did that? If so I recall that well as I was in the North Stand when he scored. He was known for his shoulder charges especially on the keeper.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Hard one to decide. Mine would all come from the same era. Mark Lawro (who never really played for us) was undoubtedly the real class act as his future club showed. The midfield engine and captain invincible Nobby Horton was the greatest captain Brighton have seen in my lifetime. And the goal maestro extraordinary Peter Ward was the most exciting. But for me, and the first name to came to mind was indeed Peter Ward, so he is my favourite off all time.

This

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta

Although I felt that Wardy wasn't as effective once Ian Mellor left.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here