Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

All kicking off in Bennets Field!

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Most sensible post on this thread. NEVER GOING TO BE QUICK.

Who said anything about quick? Of course not and of course it's going to take a while ... the logic is that it could be made quicker and chucking around ideas and observations to try and improve something is pretty standard stuff

Lush

Mods' Pet
As 1901 members we are not allowed on the concourses was my understanding - so can't pop down for a cuppa - or a burger or a hot dog ! Far fewer people appeared to be " fine dining " yesterday !! I love the stadium - I love my team - I love the football - but the 1901 catering is poor !!! Leaving bennets field - we waited till 6.15 - straight to the car - straight out - no probs !!!!

You're only allowed on the other concourses if you're wearing colours. Sorry. :)

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
People expect a reasonable delay obviously. Anyone who has sat in Bennetts Field will realise what a farce it is. When you can see a completely free road all the way up to the main road it is hard to fathom why the car park exit remains closed.

As others have said the car park could easily be filtered out quicker.

Early days though isn't it ? It's only a few games in, surely they have to get it wrong first in order to get it right !

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Early days though isn't it ? It's only a few games in, surely they have to get it wrong first in order to get it right !

Yep I agree really. But if it still like this after ten games people won't be happy.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
I have not ranted at a steward or condone ranting at a steward it's the people who manage them and set in place procedures who need to sort it out.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I have not ranted at a steward or condone ranting at a steward it's the people who manage them and set in place procedures who need to sort it out.

And this. Whilst it is hugely frustrating to be locked in the stewards that are there are not to blame it's whatever idiot that's organising them.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
God knows what you moaners will be like if we get stuffed at home. moan bloody moan. Some need to get real, big stadium, small car park, apart from the disabled there is no need to park near the ground. Next season find an alternative and then when the car park take up is small there'll be more room for the disabled. Killed two birds with one stone.

Mar 10, 2006
Trouble is we've been 'spolit' over the last few years regarding getting away from the ground due mainly to low attendances. If it took you say 20 minutes to get away from Withdean and back to your car then with 3 or 4 times the amount of people in the ground you must surely expect it to take you a comparable amount of time. Gone are the days of leaving a match and jumping in your car or on the train and home in 30 minutes.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Sounds like the traffic management needs a bit more co-ordination to me, waiting over an hour to get out of the car park IS excessive. I'm sure the club will want to sort it out though, I also think threads like this are actually helpful for the club in trying to sort out the problems. Take note Mr Naylor.

No my I was half way down the car park - My husband was up there with and elderly man who was fuming as well. The stewards were just stand around being useless and annoying people - the supervisor wouldn't even give my husband her name

Well done to the steward for not giving her name. The Stewards are told how to do there jobs by the club and if they go against what they have been told they will get the sack. Cars and crowds of people all exiting after a large sporting event do get in each other's way. We can't have a free for all otherwise someone will get run over. As far as possible LEAVE THE CAR AT HOME. Support from all over the county have got together and organised coaches so why don't members of the 1901 club organise something themselves. We should all be happy that we have got a fabulous stadium fit for championship football and beyond.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Trouble is we've been 'spolit' over the last few years regarding getting away from the ground due mainly to low attendances. If it took you say 20 minutes to get away from Withdean and back to your car then with 3 or 4 times the amount of people in the ground you must surely expect it to take you a comparable amount of time. Gone are the days of leaving a match and jumping in your car or on the train and home in 30 minutes.

No it's about the organisation, the club is paying stewards to steward a car park and operate a system to help everyone leave in the most organised and quickest fashion. What has happened is that the stewards have not been told a thing and just stand around having a chat while all hell breaks lose in the car park.

The footbal is great and I am so proud of the team and Bloom for stumping up the cash for such a wonderfull stadium.

What I am pissed off about is paying alot of money for a product which is falling short on what was sold.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
When queuing for park and ride, and when the buses with priority are streaming out, 5 cars at a time could easily be let out of the car park by a steward. People would I'm sure be far happier to see movement ahead, even if it's a small difference. These 5 cars at a time wouldn't block buses in and I'm fairly sure they could do it without swerving onto the pavement and hitting pedestrians (ample pavement in my experience).

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Also no tea or coffee in 1901 is mental. Not everyone drinks alcohol and I thought they HAD to provide alternatives if customers might be driving due to licensing laws?

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
As 1901 members we are not allowed on the concourses was my understanding - so can't pop down for a cuppa - or a burger or a hot dog ! Far fewer people appeared to be " fine dining " yesterday !! I love the stadium - I love my team - I love the football - but the 1901 catering is poor !!! Leaving bennets field - we waited till 6.15 - straight to the car - straight out - no probs !!!!

You're not allowed onto the concourses after the game?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
To be fair, if someone has been sold the idea of being able to park next to the ground, whether for free or at a cost, the reality of the situation should have been explained when it was first sold to the customer. If the club had been up front and said 'we will allow you to park here but be warned that you may have to wait an hour at the end of the game before you can get your car out', how many people would have said 'actually that's going be problem for me due to arrangements and responsibilities I have after the game' and found an alternative?
It's all very well branding people moaners and telling them that they should get there by other means, but if they have paid (or not) for something which then turns out to be a different experience to the one they thought they were signing up for, then surely they have a right to complain.
Yes there are other transport options, but as has been said already, once you've paid for it why would you not use it?

Many of us on here have expressed opinions about various aspects of the new match day experience, so why should we slag off others just because this doesn't affect us? We're no better just because we use buses, trains, and our feet to get there and home again.

Just remind me exactly where did the 1901s think they were going to park when they made their purchase bearing in mind no application for Bennetts field had been made at that stage?????

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Just remind me exactly where did the 1901s think they were going to park when they made their purchase bearing in mind no application for Bennetts field had been made at that stage?????

I assumed it would be the University parking when I bought mine.

Well done to the steward for not giving her name. The Stewards are told how to do there jobs by the club and if they go against what they have been told they will get the sack.
One of the stewards in the coach park confided in me yesterday, and actually told me the name of the steward in charge of managing the traffic flow out of the coach park. His name is ... GOD.

:)

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Lancing is still back in the 18th century?

That's a bit harsh. 1950s, maybe. But it's not as old fashioned as, say, Sompting.

I made it back in Worthing for 1815, just in time for some anti Napoleonic celebrations.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
One of the stewards in the coach park confided in me yesterday, and actually told me the name of the steward in charge of coach parking. He is ... GOD.

:)

You mean you asked him who is in charge of this mess and he raised his eyebrows and said "good God"? :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here