Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

All kicking off in Bennets Field!

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I went past the car park (on bike) as a man was saying as far as he was concerned they were all being kidnapped and he would call the police. Hopefully they pointed out to him he could go wherever he liked, just without his car. He was probably the same arrogant twat others on here have noticed. Part of the problem may be that just because the road outside the car park looks clear it doesnt mean there weren't a vehicles already queing at every junction ahead of them and having the barrier shut another 20 mins would make no real difference to their journey.
Given what a self centered aggressive prick he seemed to be I'd feel a lot safer without him on the road at all.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
I . There are improvements in signage etc which would help .

That goes for the whole Stadium, and the approach to it.

In the Queue for Mithras House (about 40 minutes today, back at the car before 6, so better than Mill Road, a wait made interesting by the 2 x Double Decker Coaches who had to do three point turns in the car park!!) we spoke to two lots of Blackpool fans, who nearly missed the start of the game as they drove to the Stadium, thinking that somewhere along the way they would be signposted to one of the Park and Ride sites. Nothing.

Needs improving IMO

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
One of the main reasons we went for 1901 was because we were told that parking would be close to the stadium and quick and easy to get there and then leave, not the first thing to be missed sold.

Taking 1h 30 to get away from the stadium is just stupid, on reflection 1901 is not worth what was charged. Great view and seat but the rest of the package does not warrant the money.

Loving the football, Gus and Bloom but Perry, Hibbererd and co need to stop patting themselves on the back and sort the detail out.

£360 for most, so I'm not sure what your point is.

Isn't the £360 being paid for a nice parking space a stones throw from the stadium rather than the guarantee of getting home before everybody else

My point is ... when they bought the space, what did 1901 Club members think they were getting for their money?

Priority over public transport users? Convenience? Or just a space for their car?

My suspicion is that, like much of the marketing of the 1901 Club experience, the promise was for something a bit superior to the "ruffian" experience. As far as transport is concerned, I'm rather relieved to discover that the ruffian package turns out to be the better one. I just wonder how long it will be before the penny drops and 1901 Club members start using the park and ride services.

TS90

Jan 26, 2011
I don't see why they can't let cars out at more or less the same time as some of the buses. Pedestrians aren't walking up by the barrier where the cars exit Bennet's Field and as far as I know, there are pavements around the entrance of the car/coach park. A steady flow of traffic means everyone gets home much quicker.

bhadeb

Jan 11, 2008
Did you see or hear the ranting Buffoon trying to bully the steward. A Very unpleasant creature!!!.

No my I was half way down the car park - My husband was up there with and elderly man who was fuming as well. The stewards were just stand around being useless and annoying people - the supervisor wouldn't even give my husband her name

Chicken Runner61

We stand where we want!
May 20, 2007
I don't think anyone wants priority over public transport but merely to be filtered out with it.

And if you are in 1901 and are driving its not like you can stay behind for a few beers till it clears can you? You can't even stay behind for a DECENT cup of tea or coffee either!

Most of those cars have 3 or 4 people in them too. We even give lifts to fans (we have never met before) if we can!

bhadeb

Jan 11, 2008
One of the main reasons we went for 1901 was because we were told that parking would be close to the stadium and quick and easy to get there and then leave, not the first thing to be missed sold.

Taking 1h 30 to get away from the stadium is just stupid, on reflection 1901 is not worth what was charged. Great view and seat but the rest of the package does not warrant the money.

Loving the football, Gus and Bloom but Perry, Hibbererd and co need to stop patting themselves on the back and sort the detail out.
Very good point - my brother has gone in 1901 and he hasn't got a great view - his is restricted through the plastic that they have put up. What with the issue with the car park charge for disabled (being free then charging £180.00), the issue with Bennetts field when leaving after a game, the fact my Mum is in a wheelchair and has brought her ST for West stand and can't even access the disabled area from west stand only from North so therefore can't meet up with any of her friends and then when we do get to our seats we can't see half the pitch because we are sitting the same ground level as row A but seat postition is as far back as row B (plus row B is higher than ground level) That's without the slab that my brother brought and they spelt one of the names wrong. I do wish the club would stop saying teething problems and hiccups - they are getting a little bit more than that now!!!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Remind me. How much does a 1901 Club member pay to park in Bennetts Field?

As you well know it's part of the package if you bought two platinum or four gold seats. You are therefore paying for it, albeit not specifically. And it's one of the reasons quite a lot chose the 1901.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
If all the transport links are going to work people have to learn to be a bit more patient. This is a new era and with it comes new challenges. :smile:

I made it back to town in record time today. Arrived at the station at 5:35 - left 5 mins after the final whistle. Easy.

As you well know it's part of the package if you bought two platinum or four gold seats. You are therefore paying for it, albeit not specifically. And it's one of the reasons quite a lot chose the 1901.
That's what I suspected (although I'd forgotten the details). There are platinum and gold 1901 Club members who thought they were buying a package that included superior parking facilities and now find that they haven't got them, because the journey times are so long.

I'll repeat the question that I asked about the people who are paying £360 to park in Bennetts Field. How long will it be before they realise that better and more convenient parking facilities can be found at Mithras House? Even if you're enjoying the rest of the platinum or gold package, it surely makes sense to switch to a quicker way of getting away from the stadium at the end of the game?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
The Uni parking was awful, for the first time... took us nearly an HOUR to get out of car park 3 and onto the A270. :nono:

Let's hope it was something to do with whatever was going on in Stanmer Park, rather than some new 'system' they have introduced that just screwed up a perfectly good working process.

There seemed to be a huge number of stewards just standing around doing nothing to help.

The Uni parking was awful, for the first time... took us nearly an HOUR to get out of car park 3 and onto the A270. :nono:

Let's hope it was something to do with whatever was going on in Stanmer Park, rather than some new 'system' they have introduced that just screwed up a perfectly good working process.

There seemed to be a huge number of stewards just standing around doing nothing to help.

We were in CP2 today and were diverted by the steward to exit via the main university interchange with the A27; according to her there had been some sort or incident (she referred to it as an "event") near to the normal exit - I've no idea what it was though.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
That's what I suspected (although I'd forgotten the details). There are platinum and gold 1901 Club members who thought they were buying a package that included superior parking facilities and now find that they haven't got them, because the journey times are so long.

I'll repeat the question that I asked about the people who are paying £360 to park in Bennetts Field. How long will it be before they realise that better and more convenient parking facilities can be found at Mithras House? Even if you're enjoying the rest of the platinum or gold package, it surely makes sense to switch to a quicker way of getting away from the stadium at the end of the game?

They should sort out the problem with Bennetts field, the stewarding is very poor and becomes a free for all once the gate is open delaying exiting further. Personally I feel they there should be more that one exit (top, middle and bottom) with the stewards letting equal cars out from each in sequence rather than causing a mass jam in the car park.

If they refunded me the difference between Bennetts and the park ride in Lewes road I would be tempted but that defeats the object.

Anyway the footy is great and I can't get enough of it so it makes up for the short cummings at the moment. Will move back into the proper seats in a couple of years.

DT Withdean

Mar 5, 2011
I was working at The Emirates today. I left the ground 45 minutes after the whistle. It still took me almost an hour of crawling in nose to tail traffic before I finally managed to get moving properly.

When I've been to grounds like West Ham in the past, it's common for the rail queues to be snaking the whole length of a street with upwards of a half an hour wait.

People need to start getting real about how long it takes to get away from a ground with a proper crowd in it. There are improvements in signage etc which would help but ultimately, especially if fans travel by car, they need to understand it will take a while to leave the area as public transport has to take priority. On the bright side, they can sit in the warm and listen to the radio.

I did park n ride Cockcroft Building. Home in north Brighton by 5.20.
Club & Police rightly giving priority to buses & coaches.

Mark24

Mar 1, 2010
Hove
I don't think anyone wants priority over public transport but merely to be filtered out with it.

And if you are in 1901 and are driving its not like you can stay behind for a few beers till it clears can you? You can't even stay behind for a DECENT cup of tea or coffee either!

Most of those cars have 3 or 4 people in them too. We even give lifts to fans (we have never met before) if we can!

Aaah... the thoughts of 95% of the users of BF...

We are encouraged to stay in the lounge after the game, but if you are not taking the hospitality package and you are driving (or just don't want more alcohol) - there is nothing to do there - how difficult would it be to sell tea/coffee after the game in the lounges??

So the 4 of us wander off to the car park for the half hour wait before anyone moves, followed by the Wacky Races scramble to get out...

In truth, almost everyone there accepts that the buses should have priority, and would be happy to wait a while, provided there was some movement up ahead and orderly exit routes in place. It really shouldn't be that difficult to set this up! Many cars could leave while the first buses are being loaded up if the barrier was lifted and a couple of stewards in the bus park could easily halt car traffic to allow buses to leave when they are ready to go...

I think we all accept delays are inevitable, however we are travelling home, but by doing the above, it would at least mean the delays are evenly spread out amongst the modes of transport... I don't think anyone is queueing for up to an hour and a half for trains or buses to leave...

Aaah... the thoughts of 95% of the users of BF...

We are encouraged to stay in the lounge after the game, but if you are not taking the hospitality package and you are driving (or just don't want more alcohol) - there is nothing to do there - how difficult would it be to sell tea/coffee after the game in the lounges?
Why not use one of the other concourses, post match?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here