Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

All kicking off in Bennets Field!

judewri

Oct 7, 2003
west sussex
As 1901 members we are not allowed on the concourses was my understanding - so can't pop down for a cuppa - or a burger or a hot dog ! Far fewer people appeared to be " fine dining " yesterday !! I love the stadium - I love my team - I love the football - but the 1901 catering is poor !!! Leaving bennets field - we waited till 6.15 - straight to the car - straight out - no probs !!!!

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Maybe the name "1901 Club" is a reference to what time people can expect to finally get out of the car park?

As 1901 members we are not allowed on the concourses was my understanding - so can't pop down for a cuppa - or a burger or a hot dog ! Far fewer people appeared to be " fine dining " yesterday !! I love the stadium - I love my team - I love the football - but the 1901 catering is poor !!! Leaving bennets field - we waited till 6.15 - straight to the car - straight out - no probs !!!!
They let Blackpool fans wander around the place post-match. Surely, if 1901 Club members promise to be well-behaved, they'll let you pop into the neighbours for a nice cup of tea, while you wait for the car park to quieten down?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I shared a ride yesterday and parked in Uni - the delays were exacerbated by something going on in Stanmer park and cars leaving that event and filtering in.

But one thing strikes me that on the exit from Uni and out of the stadium (at least last game) the lights are just left to do their own thing. Surely they should switch them off and police could do a far better job of getting traffic away with minimal hold ups to non football traffic. That would help Bennetts and P&R buses surely?

The earlier statement here about Perry etc getting over the initial gloating and getting on and fixing the post match travel chaos is right. Before anyone calls it whinging it isn't. No reasonable person would expect it to be running like clockwork day 1 but there's a problem here that needs fixing (transport in general) and I think the club need to get on and deal with it pronto and keep us informed - even if it's "we think it's OK and we're not planning any change"

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
the supervisor wouldn't even give my husband her name

And nor should she. That's why all the stewards have unique numbers on their jackets so you can identify them if you wish to complain ( or praise ! ).

Here's an idea - scrap all near stadium parking apart from for disabled people and public transport - would that make people happier ?

Personally I've caught the S bus with no issues at all - all very smooth and fast. I have no idea why any able bodied person would decide to drive to the stadium.

I shared a ride yesterday and parked in Uni - the delays were exacerbated by something going on in Stanmer park and cars leaving that event and filtering in.

But one thing strikes me that on the exit from Uni and out of the stadium (at least last game) the lights are just left to do their own thing. Surely they should switch them off and police could do a far better job of getting traffic away with minimal hold ups to non football traffic. That would help Bennetts and P&R buses surely?
It was a condition of the Bennetts Field planning permission that the Club funded adjustments to the traffic signals at the end of Village Way and introduced a plan to achieve departures from the car park and coach park that minimised traffic congestion on surrounding roads. Letting buses and coaches out first will be part of that plan.

I dare say that the phasing of the lights at the Stanmer Park entrance can be changed as well. The same point will apply, though. The Highway Authority will want to ensure that top priority is given to ensuring that the traffic on the public roads keeps flowing. There are far more vehicles using the A270 Lewes Road than there are cars leaving the University car park. A270 traffic will be given priority.

I don't know what event was happening in Stanmer Park yesterday. It's a popular place and it was a fine summer afternoon. Maybe they just get a lot of visitors on a day like yesterday?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
That goes for the whole Stadium, and the approach to it.

In the Queue for Mithras House (about 40 minutes today, back at the car before 6, so better than Mill Road, a wait made interesting by the 2 x Double Decker Coaches who had to do three point turns in the car park!!) we spoke to two lots of Blackpool fans, who nearly missed the start of the game as they drove to the Stadium, thinking that somewhere along the way they would be signposted to one of the Park and Ride sites. Nothing.

Needs improving IMO

We left our seats in block C of WSU after the final whistle, strolled round the ground, got in the queue for Mithras House and were back home in Burgess Hill by about 5.45. We used Mill Road against Doncaster and because of the delays tried Mithras House. Probably use Cockcroft building next time. The point is we are trying various options to see what suits and what is quickest. It will take several games before it all settles down into a good routine. Unfortunately, some aren't prepared to wait.

One of the main reasons we went for 1901 was because we were told that parking would be close to the stadium and quick and easy to get there and then leave, not the first thing to be missed sold.

Taking 1h 30 to get away from the stadium is just stupid, on reflection 1901 is not worth what was charged. Great view and seat but the rest of the package does not warrant the money.

Loving the football, Gus and Bloom but Perry, Hibbererd and co need to stop patting themselves on the back and sort the detail out.

I have no doubt that things will improve over a period of time but anyone who rants at stewards should have their details taken, given a pro-rata refund and told to use public transport. Surely somewhere in the T & Cs reference is made to standards of behaviour.

Sonic

Spiky little bugger!
Jul 6, 2003
Patcham
To be fair, if someone has been sold the idea of being able to park next to the ground, whether for free or at a cost, the reality of the situation should have been explained when it was first sold to the customer. If the club had been up front and said 'we will allow you to park here but be warned that you may have to wait an hour at the end of the game before you can get your car out', how many people would have said 'actually that's going be problem for me due to arrangements and responsibilities I have after the game' and found an alternative?
It's all very well branding people moaners and telling them that they should get there by other means, but if they have paid (or not) for something which then turns out to be a different experience to the one they thought they were signing up for, then surely they have a right to complain.
Yes there are other transport options, but as has been said already, once you've paid for it why would you not use it?

Many of us on here have expressed opinions about various aspects of the new match day experience, so why should we slag off others just because this doesn't affect us? We're no better just because we use buses, trains, and our feet to get there and home again.

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham
I don't know what event was happening in Stanmer Park yesterday. It's a popular place and it was a fine summer afternoon. Maybe they just get a lot of visitors on a day like yesterday?

No there was an actual event going on yesterday but i'm not sure how much it was contributing to the traffic as I didn't see many cars leaving from there but it certainly was a lot slower than after Doncaster so I can only guess that is what it was

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I dare say that the phasing of the lights at the Stanmer Park entrance can be changed as well. The same point will apply, though. The Highway Authority will want to ensure that top priority is given to ensuring that the traffic on the public roads keeps flowing.

You're probably right but why should that be the case. At other big crowd events elsewhere in the country, they close roads around the venue and/or have police directing traffic. Why won't that be done here? It seems like the club has to do all the compromising because they've been put over a barrel on planning conditions.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I dare say that the phasing of the lights at the Stanmer Park entrance can be changed as well. The same point will apply, though. The Highway Authority will want to ensure that top priority is given to ensuring that the traffic on the public roads keeps flowing. There are far more vehicles using the A270 Lewes Road than there are cars leaving the University car park. A270 traffic will be given priority.

Defo a phasing prob yesterday - trying to turn towards Brighton made harder by 2nd lights going red as first were going green. Also from when we got round the bend and could see there were lots of "gaps" in A270 traffic - and regardless of wanting to keep all non football traffic flowing the odd hold up to let scores of cars out of the area would seem sensible and pragmatic.

How did the trains work yesterday? Were they longer and did it work better?

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham
I have no idea why any able bodied person would decide to drive to the stadium.

On some matches we will have no choice as due to my sisters work we wont be able to leave Horsham till 2pm which wont give us enough time to get the park and ride and arrive for 3pm kick off. So we decided to pay the money for uni parking. Having said that it is speed at the begining that is important to us and we have no problem with a bit of a wait at the end.

You're probably right but why should that be the case. At other big crowd events elsewhere in the country, they close roads around the venue and/or have police directing traffic. Why won't that be done here? It seems like the club has to do all the compromising because they've been put over a barrel on planning conditions.
The new entrance to the University Site (at the Stanmer Park end), together with the new traffic signals and the flyover that separates right-turning football traffic from the Lewes - Brighton traffic, was funded by the Government, through SEEDA. I don't expect they'd now be happy to see the traffic signals shut down at precisely the times that the whole scheme was designed for.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905

There was mountain biking event going on and a lot of visitors and competitors were parked on the two football pitches near the entrance. When I walked back through Stanmer Park after the match the event was slowly winding down.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Not being funny, but what do people expect when parking at a football stadium where 20k people are in attendence?

People expect a reasonable delay obviously. Anyone who has sat in Bennetts Field will realise what a farce it is. When you can see a completely free road all the way up to the main road it is hard to fathom why the car park exit remains closed.

As others have said the car park could easily be filtered out quicker.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
All of this. Spot on.

Aaah... the thoughts of 95% of the users of BF...

We are encouraged to stay in the lounge after the game, but if you are not taking the hospitality package and you are driving (or just don't want more alcohol) - there is nothing to do there - how difficult would it be to sell tea/coffee after the game in the lounges??

So the 4 of us wander off to the car park for the half hour wait before anyone moves, followed by the Wacky Races scramble to get out...

In truth, almost everyone there accepts that the buses should have priority, and would be happy to wait a while, provided there was some movement up ahead and orderly exit routes in place. It really shouldn't be that difficult to set this up! Many cars could leave while the first buses are being loaded up if the barrier was lifted and a couple of stewards in the bus park could easily halt car traffic to allow buses to leave when they are ready to go...

I think we all accept delays are inevitable, however we are travelling home, but by doing the above, it would at least mean the delays are evenly spread out amongst the modes of transport... I don't think anyone is queueing for up to an hour and a half for trains or buses to leave...

Southstandfaithful

Oct 22, 2010
H Heath

we were allowed to go into WSL after the game yesterday to get a cuppa..... i think the restriction is only before the game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here