Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alireza Jahanbakhsh joins Feyenoord

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Would Ryan & Propper be first names on the team sheet? Yes they may have been 6 months ago but now? No way. They are done imho good players done well for us but now not good enough so jury's out.....unless they get back into the side and prove us wrong. Good back ups but yesterday's players IMHO.:eek:

But this tangent is all about players that have been poor value signings, of which I originally stated that Locadia and Ali J were probably the only real stinkers. Ryan and Propper cost something like £4m and £10m respectively and started nearly every game in our first 3 seasons. Definitely not bad value!

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Fairy nuff. Wasn't ware of that (despite it being a rule in place for 20-odd years). I don't read EVERY page of NSC though, I'm not Swansman.

I don't either! I just happened to see the page it was on (think it might have been on a Maty Ryan thread, but no, I'm not going to trawl for a link to it!)

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
But this tangent is all about players that have been poor value signings, of which I originally stated that Locadia and Ali J were probably the only real stinkers. Ryan and Propper cost something like £4m and £10m respectively and started nearly every game in our first 3 seasons. Definitely not bad value!
Ok we probably agree Locadia & Ali have not been value for money then.:):thumbsup:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Ryan has been good for the club but one the wall was taken down (dunk & duffy) he became too exposed.

Ali J - I still don't get why he was dropped after scoring against Chelsea & Bournemouth - would he have kicked on from there. Stop starting has not been good for him.

Balogun - had mistakes in him but to be fair so did Webster last year and White this year. Only given 8 games - so possibly unfair to just as a failure. Did score that goal as well.

Proper is a conundrum , certainly good value overall but not scoring and risky at the back ....

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Ali J - I still don't get why he was dropped after scoring against Chelsea & Bournemouth - would he have kicked on from there. Stop starting has not been good for him.

AJ has had a few games where he's done well then disappeared from the radar, I've never understood why, and there has never been any explanation. The only thing we ever hear is minor injury niggles. He played well behind Maupay to the right against Leicester, then disappeared, playing as an inside right he is good enough and he remains the only player we have ( Bissouma and Mac ALlister are catching) not afraid and capable of a good shot. His biggest weakness is he's not a defender.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
I agree he needs more games and a run in the side , but we can’t afford to give him that when he gives so many poor performances. If we were Championship or happily top 10 side maybe we could carry him for a few games. But we are in a perilous position and need 11 men on the pitch all performing well.
Right now he is a luxury that we cannot afford.
NB . If he scores a blinder tomorrow I Will gladly eat humble pie.

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
Ryan has been good for the club but one the wall was taken down (dunk & duffy) he became too exposed.

Balogun - had mistakes in him but to be fair so did Webster last year and White this year. Only given 8 games - so possibly unfair to just as a failure. Did score that goal as well.

Proper is a conundrum , certainly good value overall but not scoring and risky at the back ....

What’s your view on Izzy? Looked good for a season (the goal at West Ham :albion2:) but injured and maybe won’t play for us again....

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
What’s your view on Izzy? Looked good for a season (the goal at West Ham :albion2:) but injured and maybe won’t play for us again....

Difficult to compare as his career was cut short so rather a 'what might have been' rather than 'didn't live up to the hype'.

Offered us something very different , often predictable but scored 2 of the best goals for Brighton (stoke one and possibly the other WHU one) and defences were scared of him due to his pace.

History will say he failed because of injury not quality but I live in hope he will be back for his and the club's benefit. Noticed he was training with the first team during the week.

Certainly would not bracket him with Ali J or Locadia and to be fair to Ali J , I would not bracket him with Locadia either.

If we are talking absolute value for money then clearly the £50 million we spent has not delivered the return but that does seem to be the nature of football and the way we have done things but you can't just pick up gems for nothing all the time especially in a club which is only still finding its feet with the bigger boys. Southampton (similar sized club) have been in the top bracket a lot longer than us so had an established Academy and were able to attract stand of young players we couldn't things are changing but it takes time. It could be argued they threw away £30 million on Ben White....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here