Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ali or Tyson.......

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Please dont take this personally, but anyone who thinks Tyson is in Ali's league hasnt got a clue about boxing, both Foreman and Frazier would have comfortably dealt with Tyson, he relied a hell of a lot on intimidation, and that just wouldnt have been a factor with Frazier, Foreman or Ali.
Even when Tyson was at the height of his game you only have to look at how both Bonecrusher Smith and Tony Tucker tied him up for the whole fight, and just look at how an aging Larry Holmes made him look silly for the first couple of rounds, no contest in my opinion, Ali, easily the winner.

I'm with my homeboy bushy on this.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Please dont take this personally, but anyone who thinks Tyson is in Ali's league hasnt got a clue about boxing, both Foreman and Frazier would have comfortably dealt with Tyson, he relied a hell of a lot on intimidation, and that just wouldnt have been a factor with Frazier, Foreman or Ali.
Even when Tyson was at the height of his game you only have to look at how both Bonecrusher Smith and Tony Tucker tied him up for the whole fight, and just look at how an aging Larry Holmes made him look silly for the first couple of rounds, no contest in my opinion, Ali, easily the winner.

wise words bushy, absolutely this!

tezz79

Apr 20, 2011

No contest in your opinion but if we don't agree it means we know nothing about boxing ?
Your points are fair enough but this is all subjective, both mine & your outcomes would be very possible (if it was possible for them both to be in the ring together in their prime lol)
I do agree Tyson was not in ali's league as a technical boxer although I feel he had the tools to get the job done through sheer power & non stop aggression..... Just my opinion

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
People who think Tyson will win are forgetting one major aspect of a boxers arsenal 'heart'. Ali had it in spades got of the floor to beat Cooper, fought with a broken jaw for 14 rounds against Norton took some thunderous shots from Shavers, Foreman & Frazier but always came back and usually won.

Let's look at Tyson's heart - First man that truly stood up to Tyson James Buster Douglas beat him. Holyfield had him on the rack and rather than battling back bit his ear. Tyson was a great bully but not a great Champion. To be considered amongst the best you must triumph in adversity and unfortunately he could never do this.

We are comparing the greatest Heavyweight of all-time against someone who might struggle to be top ten. A more pertinent question would be how would Tyson had fared against the Klitschko's they are more his level when comparing great Heavyweights. I think he beats Vladimir but struggles like hell against Vitali.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I would like to say Ali but Tyson was a ferocious fighter of the likes I doubt we will ever see again, shame he lost the plot

tezz79

Apr 20, 2011
People who think Tyson will win are forgetting one major aspect of a boxers arsenal 'heart'. Ali had it in spades got of the floor to beat Cooper, fought with a broken jaw for 14 rounds against Norton took some thunderous shots from Shavers, Foreman & Frazier but always came back and usually won.

Let's look at Tyson's heart - First man that truly stood up to Tyson James Buster Douglas beat him. Holyfield had him on the rack and rather than battling back bit his ear. Tyson was a great bully but not a great Champion. To be considered amongst the best you must triumph in adversity and unfortunately he could never do this.

We are comparing the greatest Heavyweight of all-time against someone who might struggle to be top ten. A more pertinent question would be how would Tyson had fared against the Klitschko's they are more his level when comparing great Heavyweights. I think he beats Vladimir but struggles like hell against Vitali.

Beats both of them I reckon.... I also think Frazier would have caused Tyson more problems than Ali because I feel he could take a punch better than Ali & was also very aggressive & I don't know how Tyson would have dealt with somebody not willing to give an inch in the centre of the ring

tezz79

Apr 20, 2011
I would like to say Ali but Tyson was a ferocious fighter of the likes I doubt we will ever see again, shame he lost the plot

I think if he'd have been a bit more humble out of the ring & didn't as you say loose the plot then he would have a lot more respect as one of the greats. Who's to say what he might have gone on to achieve if he was not so uncontrollable in & out of the ring

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Ali...If Carlsberg made skillful boxers...probably the best in the world.
Tyson.... Slugger and hoped one connected.
Liston....Slugger and bully.
The best boxing era was the seventies when there were many great boxers,not just heavyweights but middleweights as well.. I can remember a programme on tele when they did a computer mock up of Ali v Tyson....according to that Ali won in the seventh,but it is a matter of opinions,mine is for Ali and I'm sticking to it!
Ali was the most skillful boxer in that time...and contrary to belief could take a punch...fighting with a broken jaw and fighting with a damaged hand and winning.

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
If Lennox Lewis & Riddick Bowe had turned proffesional sooner, instead of chasing Olympic glory, Tyson would never have held a world title belt. Throw Evander Holyfield into the mix, at best Tyson was the fourth best boxer of his generation.

AJ's Magic Hat

Jan 18, 2012
60's Cassius Clay vs prime Mike Tyson is a tossup, Ali had all the skills in the world, but was dropped by lesser fighters than Iron Mike due to cockiness and arrogance, so I'd say Ali by razor thin decision after being dropped a few times early on, but pulling it out the bag as he figures Tyson out, stops standing in front of him and doesn't allow him to set his feet.

70's Ali while a much smarter fighter after coming out of prison, lost a lot of his sheer athleticism, but learned to use intelligence and getting inside peoples heads to win. And to be fair to him he was damn good at it. But 70's Ali vs Tyson is a different fight, Ali didn't have the ability to run and dance like in his prime, and standing in front of prime Tyson is just plain suicide. Mike Tyson would just pound him and take him apart all night, stopping him around the 8th or 9th round. Ali's only shot is to con Tyson out of the win, but Mike Tyson wasn't known to gas, so I can't see the Foreman tactics working.

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
60's Cassius Clay vs prime Mike Tyson is a tossup, Ali had all the skills in the world, but was dropped by lesser fighters than Iron Mike due to cockiness and arrogance, so I'd say Ali by razor thin decision after being dropped a few times early on, but pulling it out the bag as he figures Tyson out, stops standing in front of him and doesn't allow him to set his feet.

70's Ali while a much smarter fighter after coming out of prison, lost a lot of his sheer athleticism, but learned to use intelligence and getting inside peoples heads to win. And to be fair to him he was damn good at it. But 70's Ali vs Tyson is a different fight, Ali didn't have the ability to run and dance like in his prime, and standing in front of prime Tyson is just plain suicide. Mike Tyson would just pound him and take him apart all night, stopping him around the 8th or 9th round. Ali's only shot is to con Tyson out of the win, but Mike Tyson wasn't known to gas, so I can't see the Foreman tactics working.

I never knew that Ali went to prison for refusing the draft, just thought he got involved with the black civil rights movement.

Ali in his prime would have murdered a Tyson in his prime.
He would have wound him up & taken the piss and almost pull his trunks down,like he did with Richard Dunn.

George Foreman would also have done Tyson within a couple of rounds.
Frazier, Norton, Shavers, Liston, Patterson, maybe have taken a few rounds longer, to have beaten the most over rated heavyweight of all time.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Tyson was a dumb boxer who got lucky in that he hit his peak when the ranks of Heavy Weight boxing weren't that strong.

When you look at who Ali fought, he fought more than a few boxers who in their own rights can lay claim to being amongst the top boxers of all time.

Ali would have got the win by being the smarter and better tactician in the ring.

tezz79

Apr 20, 2011
If Lennox Lewis & Riddick Bowe had turned proffesional sooner, instead of chasing Olympic glory, Tyson would never have held a world title belt. Throw Evander Holyfield into the mix, at best Tyson was the fourth best boxer of his generation.

Lol I think your views are jaded by thoughts of the older mike Tyson, at the age of 19 to very early 20's (he's prime) he was a much different fighter to the troubled fighter everyone is remembering, I don't think Lewis would have handled the early mike AT ALL

tezz79

Apr 20, 2011
Tyson was a dumb boxer who got lucky in that he hit his peak when the ranks of Heavy Weight boxing weren't that strong.

When you look at who Ali fought, he fought more than a few boxers who in their own rights can lay claim to being amongst the top boxers of all time.

Ali would have got the win by being the smarter and better tactician in the ring.

How was he a dumb boxer ?
He fought exactly how a (shorter than most) fighter should fight & isn't it funny how every fighter from the Ali era beats Tyson according to most on NSC.... Pure nostalgia

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Lol I think your views are jaded by thoughts of the older mike Tyson, at the age of 19 to very early 20's (he's prime) he was a much different fighter to the troubled fighter everyone is remembering, I don't think Lewis would have handled the early mike AT ALL

A primed focus Lennox Lewis beats any version of Tyson you want to put in front of him. As does Holmes, Ali, Louis, & Frazier. It's touch and go if he beats Norton, Foreman, Marciano, Dempsey, Bowe, Holyfield & Vitali Klitschko.

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
A primed focus Lennox Lewis beats any version of Tyson you want to put in front of him. As does Holmes, Ali, Louis, & Frazier. It's touch and go if he beats Norton, Foreman, Marciano, Dempsey, Bowe, Holyfield & Vitali Klitschko.

Holyfield beat Tyson twice (I think) It was their first fight in 1996 where Tyson's inability against class opposition first became noticed.

tezz79

Apr 20, 2011

Ali Louis & Frazier v a prime tyson I think would have been epic fights that would be very hard to call IMO, as I said in an earlier post I think frazier would have really troubled mike Tyson & so would forman... I think lennox was a bit cumbersome.
Let's face it none of us know for sure I just feel the earlier Tyson that had hunger & so much potential get overlooked & written off too easy because people just remember the idiot he turned into

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland
Ali Louis & Frazier v a prime tyson I think would have been epic fights that would be very hard to call IMO, as I said in an earlier post I think frazier would have really troubled mike Tyson & so would forman... I think lennox was a bit cumbersome.
Let's face it none of us know for sure I just feel the earlier Tyson that had hunger & so much potential get overlooked & written off too easy because people just remember the idiot he turned into

No! people remember the standard of opposition he fought against in his early days.
It's a shame he couldn't have kept his pecker in his pants, and fought Bowe, Hollyfield & Lewes sooner. Then people wouldn't go on about Tyson in his prime.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here