Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ali or Tyson.......

blue and white army

Jan 31, 2008
Brighton
Difficult to say really. Comparing sportsman from different era's never really results in any definitive answer. Who's better Pele or Maradona, Ali or Tyson. You don't know. Tyson never showed his true potential due to the fact he was incarcerated for the best years of his boxing career, 91-95 and the same with Ali 67-70 due to his lay-off. If that had fought in their primes, what an enthralling encounter it would have been.

My Name Is Gully

May 9, 2008
Dorset
Heart says Ali, Head says Ali!

So in essence I think I would say Ali.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Ali.

Tyson probably not in the top ten boxers of all time across all weights (Pound 4 Pound.)

Unfortunatly he was probably the last of a generation of Heavyweights shown on terrestrial TV......sunday morning high-lights. So not many people saw him actually get beat. I must admit he was pretty exciting to watch in the early days. Those that saw Lewis and Holyfield Knew actually Tyson was a bit one dimensional.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Please dont take this personally, but anyone who thinks Tyson is in Ali's league hasnt got a clue about boxing, both Foreman and Frazier would have comfortably dealt with Tyson, he relied a hell of a lot on intimidation, and that just wouldnt have been a factor with Frazier, Foreman or Ali.
Even when Tyson was at the height of his game you only have to look at how both Bonecrusher Smith and Tony Tucker tied him up for the whole fight, and just look at how an aging Larry Holmes made him look silly for the first couple of rounds, no contest in my opinion, Ali, easily the winner.

I can't argue with that at all. I don't think Tyson would have got near to Ali for the first few rounds, and then as he started to tire and get frustrated, Ali would pick him off.

As brutal a puncher as Tyson was, he'd scared the shit out of most of his opponents, and so basically won the fight, before either man was even in the ring. Would that have worked on Ali? Not a hope in hell.

I think this one would have gone very much the way of Clay vs. Liston I and with the same outcome.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I can't argue with that at all. I don't think Tyson would have got near to Ali for the first few rounds, and then as he started to tire and get frustrated, Ali would pick him off.

As brutal a puncher as Tyson was, he'd scared the shit out of most of his opponents, and so basically won the fight, before either man was even in the ring. Would that have worked on Ali? Not a hope in hell.

I think this one would have gone very much the way of Clay vs. Liston I and with the same outcome.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk
I agree with what you say, and also tyson was never a one punch knock out merchant , it was always a combination that got them, brutal as they were.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Please dont take this personally, but anyone who thinks Tyson is in Ali's league hasnt got a clue about boxing, both Foreman and Frazier would have comfortably dealt with Tyson, he relied a hell of a lot on intimidation, and that just wouldnt have been a factor with Frazier, Foreman or Ali.
Even when Tyson was at the height of his game you only have to look at how both Bonecrusher Smith and Tony Tucker tied him up for the whole fight, and just look at how an aging Larry Holmes made him look silly for the first couple of rounds, no contest in my opinion, Ali, easily the winner.

Absolutely anyone saying Tyson doesn't know boxing. Tyson would struggle to make the top ten Heavyweights of all-time.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Ali.

Tyson probably not in the top ten boxers of all time across all weights (Pound 4 Pound.)

Unfortunatly he was probably the last of a generation of Heavyweights shown on terrestrial TV......sunday morning high-lights. So not many people saw him actually get beat. I must admit he was pretty exciting to watch in the early days. Those that saw Lewis and Holyfield Knew actually Tyson was a bit one dimensional.

His would struggle to make the top fifty pound for pound.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I can only really imagine that anyone who thinks Tyson would beat Ali has watched a three minute 'knockdown special' on Youtube and that is the sum of their boxing knowledge.
It would never happen................ Ali would forbid it. Look at the times Tyson has spent on the seat of his pants in his career. Buster Douglas showed Tyson`s limitations and although a goo fighter he wouldn`t have beaten Ali, Foreman or Frazier in their prime.

Ali by knockout in the 9th.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004

This with knobs on! Too many of Tysons victims were paralysed with fear and froze in the ring. Ali would have laughed and at his prime the old 'rope a dope' plan would have enraged and tired out Tyson allowing Ali to pick him late in the fight.

How about Mayweather at his prime v Sugar Ray Leonard ?

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
This is a bit like people saying that Ali should have not even have been allowed in the ring with George Foreman, people at the time were actually fearing for Ali's health and said Foreman was unbeatable. Tyson ruled in a time when there was nobody to really test him and half of his opponents were beaten before they even got in the ring. Tyson was a bully(a very good bully) who did not like getting hit. Ali would have beaten him easily on points, or stopped him late on...I have no doubt about it.

Hugh'sDad

Nov 29, 2011
'Ove
Chalk and Cheese very hard to compair one a fighter the other a boxer

Tyson for me. I remember the three fights with smokin' Joe, and he clearly lost two of them. Tyson was bulkier, and stronger than Frazier. Having said that Ali would have grown up bigger in Tyson's day because of the nutritional advances - his fighting weight was a little less than some of Gully's Girls now.

tezz79

Apr 20, 2011
I don't think Ali would have coped with tysons power, yeah Ali could slip a hell of a lot of punches but he still used to get hit & if there's one thing about Tyson it's that he was always on the front foot throwing sledge hammers.
I think he would have backed Ali up eventually broke him down & he most certainly would have caught him.
Anyone saying Tyson wasnt a good technical fighter doesn't know much about boxing, he was usually the shorter fighter & as the shorter fighter he did EXACTLY what he should do which may look like careless brawling but there's more to it than that, 1st he has to throw to get close, then he has to throw whatever he can once he's in range & then mix it up spoil & bully on the inside.... Agreed it looks like someone just throwing punches but there's a method to it plus Tyson always used plenty of upper body movement & head movement to get within range so most certainly was not JUST a brawler he just had to use a different style to a taller fighter who can afford to stand off, sway away & quick jab & counter punch.... All very eye catching & some of the things Ali was the best at.

Think that's my longest ever post lol

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Tyson wouldn't have got near Ali in his prime. One is the greatest boxer of all time the other was a thug in a world with shit boxers. Joe Frazier would have had Tyson on his knees in round one too

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
tyson came in at a bit of a poor time for heavweight boxing, and (rightfully) took it by storm. aggressive, headline making stuff against not many decent fighters, as for ALI, well, yep!!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
As said above, difficult to compare but overall I think Ali would have had the edge, Tyson was a fighter and Ali a boxer. Ali would have had a variety of tactics to put Tyson off his game and he would have found a way to out think and out box Tyson. Ali might have been rattled if he caught a big shot but I could see Tyson being punched out by the 6th round and Ali would have danced around him picking him off, picking him off....

tezz79

Apr 20, 2011
Tyson wouldn't have got near Ali in his prime. One is the greatest boxer of all time the other was a thug in a world with shit boxers. Joe Frazier would have had Tyson on his knees in round one too

Im loving the fact people think Ali was some kind of shadow that couldn't be hit !
It's absolute rubbish he could and was hit a lot and as shocking as it may seem to you knocked down in his career, I'm not saying it's a fact Tyson would have won but in my opinion I think he probably would have as he definitely would have hit Ali at some point because Ali would have been backing off & Tyson would have been coming forward so having been hit by Tyson it's reasonable to think he would have been rocked & caught with more & we all know what happened when Tyson hit people with a number of punches when he was in his prime, again it's my opinion & to think Ali would have just pissed this fight without having to break a sweat is ridiculous

tezz79

Apr 20, 2011
As said above, difficult to compare but overall I think Ali would have had the edge, Tyson was a fighter and Ali a boxer. Ali would have had a variety of tactics to put Tyson off his game and he would have found a way to out think and out box Tyson. Ali might have been rattled if he caught a big shot but I could see Tyson being punched out by the 6th round and Ali would have danced around him picking him off, picking him off....

See that kind of answer I can take seriously & is very possible although I myself don't think that's how it would have panned out

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here