Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion Trio in PFA Team

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
I like how people are getting angry at the 'omission' of some Albion players as though the PFA is like 5 people deciding on a team, god sake people, the PFA stands for Professional Footballers Association. Each player in L1 got a vote and clearly each players only plays the teams twice a season so maybe they found some of the Southampton players trickier to play against as individuals as if you look at the albion team its more about the whole team chipping in thats why the unbeaten runs is so long, where as Soton have lost more games so clearly only a few of their players have been playing well for them to be in the position they are in, you could look at the championship and QPR they have 2 players in the Team of the year, its not like it matters. FFS would you rather have 5 players in the Team of the year then be champions you always have to find something to moan about go away.

And I imagine most of those voting didn't spend hours agonising over their selections, but just banged down the first eleven they thought of.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Five Southampton players in the XI does register one thing, mind.

If their fellow professionals believe that Southampton have better individual players than anyone else - half the team making up the XI - just how SHIT must the manager be that he can't get that squad to within 16 points of winning the league?

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
I like how people are getting angry at the 'omission' of some Albion players as though the PFA is like 5 people deciding on a team, god sake people, the PFA stands for Professional Footballers Association. Each player in L1 got a vote and clearly each players only plays the teams twice a season so maybe they found some of the Southampton players trickier to play against as individuals as if you look at the albion team its more about the whole team chipping in thats why the unbeaten runs is so long, where as Soton have lost more games so clearly only a few of their players have been playing well for them to be in the position they are in, you could look at the championship and QPR they have 2 players in the Team of the year, its not like it matters. FFS would you rather have 5 players in the Team of the year then be champions you always have to find something to moan about go away.

Finally a sensible post on this thread! It is the players that vote and they will vote for the players that they remember playing against, who were particularly outstanding, and were hard to play against. I hope this proves to the Greer critics on here that he does a considerable amount more for our team than you necessarily notice as a fan, as this has obviously been picked up on by people who are involved in the game.

I'm not surprised about the exclusion of Painter as, while he has been fantastic this season, that's mainly because he is extremely consistent, does his job superbly but without standing out too much - and even our fans have only just started thinking he's been having a good season in the last couple of weeks. Harding has probably had a few stand-out performances - and as shit as he is in defense, he's not too bad going forward and may have appeared to have made more of an impact to players who only saw each player twice in the season.

For those reasons, the only selection which surprises me is Wright-Phillips over Murray. I would imagine that Murray is extremely hard to play against as a defender and would be a nightmare to contain. I imagine the voting for that one must have been quite close.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
1: Take it down a level, this is further evidence of a paranoid obsession with Southampton
2: The decision was made by votes from about 500 PFA members, on the basis of 1 or 2 experiences against other teams. By our own admission we have won a lot of matches due to grinding out results rather than steamrolling teams, and therefore individuals will not be singled out to the same level.
3. It is further evidence of the greatness of Gus.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
4 SCC players - You gotta laugh.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
1: Take it down a level, this is further evidence of a paranoid obsession with Southampton
2: The decision was made by votes from about 500 PFA members, on the basis of 1 or 2 experiences against other teams. By our own admission we have won a lot of matches due to grinding out results rather than steamrolling teams, and therefore individuals will not be singled out to the same level.
3. It is further evidence of the greatness of Gus.

And of course Southampton have played like footballing Gods every match, and not ground anything out.

This isn't about Southampton paranoia, it's about a maddening lack of credit being given by the team's contemporaries. You only have to listen to some managers who, when asked a direct question, cannot bring themselves to acknowledge the best team in the division.

So if we're guilty of paranoia, it looks like we're not alone.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I have no idea, only played them once, and frankly I don't care, because WE ARE CHAMPIONS.

Harding over Painter is not our obsession with SCC it's common sense, even SCC fans complain about Harding.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Isn't it possible that Harding is a better player than he was four or five years ago when he was with us?

These things are fairly meaningless anyway. We've won where it mattered, and you can bet that of the eight positions we didn't win, our man was runner up in at least five of them.

So in conclusion... Meh.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I would agree Simster, as the vote is by professional footballers who are not known for their general intelligence. My initial surprise was Murray being left out but as someone pointed out the vote was taken a few months ago.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Hey guys and Gals,.... don't stress it,... just look at QPR and Chesterfield, both teams in the same position as us,... both under represented in my view..... it means nothing,... more just to make the also rans feel better about themselves after flattering to deceive.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Isn't it possible that Harding is a better player than he was four or five years ago when he was with us?

These things are fairly meaningless anyway. We've won where it mattered, and you can bet that of the eight positions we didn't win, our man was runner up in at least five of them.

So in conclusion... Meh.

I'm with Simster on this. Harding blows hot and cold, Marcus has been the epitome of professionalism this season, I can't remember him having many nightmares, I also can't recall him being MoM either, he gets on with his job and doesn't make a fuss.

He would have been player of the season two years ago when Andy Whing won it by a MILE, and it is testament to just how far the team has come in that time that I suspect he won't be in the top three this season.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The other thing (as already pointed out many times on this thread) is that these awards were voted for when the season was only half way through. So how were the players of Notts County and Dagenham & Redbridge ever to be expected to vote for any of our players? ???

And how come 3rd placed Huddersfield have ONE player in the team?

HoveHorace

Premiership please !
Jan 20, 2011
Hove
My League One team of the year -

Ankergren

Calderon, Greer, Al Abd, Painter

Bennett, Bridcutt, Dicker, Sparrow

Murray, Barnes or Wood​

I think this team would do quite well in the Division .

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I would agree Simster, as the vote is by professional footballers who are not known for their general intelligence. My initial surprise was Murray being left out but as someone pointed out the vote was taken a few months ago.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
My League One team of the year -

Ankergren

Calderon, Greer, Al Abd, Painter

Bennett, Bridcutt, Dicker, Sparrow

Murray, Barnes or Wood​

I think this team would do quite well in the Division .

Typical, you have an obsession with Brighton :laugh:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here