Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion parking price reduction

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
I would have thought fairer would be say to let 20 (or 30 or 40 or whatever) cars out of Village Way, then some buses/coaches (if ready) from the coach park, then 20 (or 30 or 40 or whatever) cars out of BF, then repeat until the congestion is gone.

Only summising, I expect Lord B can confirm, but I think that scheduled buses run up to the Uni of Brighton and turn around there, so they probably have to give priority to this road so that the buses can keep to their timetable.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
It's to encourage the use of public transport/sustainable transport, so they would probably still rather you use either P&R or trains/buses within the catchment area.

I wouldn't think so, the 1901 package is different from the ST packages, in that parking was always a part of the deal, plus I thought the contract/agreement was worded as a 5 year deal, with a guarantee of no price changes during that time.

It was only part of the deal if you purchased 2 Platinum or 4 Gold seats. I'm in the Gold but had to pay £360 for my parking

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Only summising, I expect Lord B can confirm, but I think that scheduled buses run up to the Uni of Brighton and turn around there, so they probably have to give priority to this road so that the buses can keep to their timetable.

Of course, but that's only going to be 2 or 3 buses surely between 5-6pm Saturday or 9.45-10.45pm on a Tuesday night

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Told by the box office today that the new parking spaces will be released for sale within the next week to a fortnight - I managed to get on the reserved list for a disabled space.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Changng the subject anyone know what the situation is with Dark Star? Will they be upping their presence at the AMEX next season?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
The 23 and 25 bus routes currently run at a frequency of 7 buses an hour from the UoB Falmer site on Saturday afternoons. 6 buses per hour on weekday evenings.

I must confess, I don't recall seeing any buses at all after matches coming down from UoB, but I may have just counted them in with the other buses leaving the stadium bus/coach park. If they are running after matches then the road copes with 6/7 buses coming through and all the cars at present. I don't see it would make much of a difference if they adopted a fair policy on releasing the cars from the BF car park and those who use the UoB car park. The buses must already be being delayed a bit with the extra traffic after matches anyway, do they factor this in on match days?

I must confess, I don't recall seeing any buses at all after matches coming down from UoB, but I may have just counted them in with the other buses leaving the stadium bus/coach park. If they are running after matches then the road copes with 6/7 buses coming through and all the cars at present. I don't see it would make much of a difference if they adopted a fair policy on releasing the cars from the BF car park and those who use the UoB car park. The buses must already be being delayed a bit with the extra traffic after matches anyway, do they factor this in on match days?

I seem to remember that the planning application for BF contained a statement that the traffic from the existing locations and the Bus/Coach park would have priority in Village Way - the plan being to minimise the impact on the current traffic flows etc. I don't think the Club's traffic consultants considered the possibilty of additional traffic from the UoB car park(s) but the application was a bit of a "dog's dinner" with all sorts of basic errors. I'll have a look at it later just to check that I'm not dreaming this.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
Does anyone know how far it is from the new Bridge Car Park (Falmer High School) to the stadium. I have been promised it is flat/easily accessible and "only a five minute walk" but being an untrusting soul I'm guessing that for someone relying on a walking stick and going slowly it will be a fair bit more than that.

Is the access off the A270 or off a side road? Again, I'm guessing that makes a massive difference to the time it will take to get away from it after a match (although by the time we get there.....................:lol:)

Last edited:

Does anyone know how far it is from the new Bridge Car Park (Falmer High School) to the stadium. I have been promised it is flat/easily accessible and "only a five minute walk" but being an untrusting soul I'm guessing that for someone relying on a walking stick and going slowly it will be a fair bit more than that.

Is the access off the A270 or off a side road? Again, I'm guessing that makes a massive difference to the time it will take to get away from it after a match (although by the time we get there.....................:lol:)

There is a mention in the planning application for the extra seats (and a planning condition attached to the approval) of an accessible minibus shuttle service for disabled supporters needing to get between this car park and the stadium - just like the one that the organisation I work for runs between the Sussex University car park and the stadium. As of now, though, there have been no discussions with me about how it might run. But it's early days.

I was also told this earlier today; tbh I don't know the answer but the recently approved planning application states that there will be a shuttle bus service for disabled spectators between this car park and the stadium - ie as per the one that runs from UoS car park 5 currently. This is run by LB and his colleagues, it's is a very good service. I think the access (from Brighton and the west) will be via the same slip-road as is used for Stanmer Park and the UoS car parks.
I've sent an email to Sally Townsend (Cust Serv's Mgr) and will post or pm you her reply.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away

The access and exit are off the A270, through the tunnel under the railway line which I think is going to mean that its going to take some time for the car park to empty.

Looking on the map it does look fairly flat up to the ground but I would say it might take a minute or two longer than the University, (depending on which car park you use). However you would avoid the railway bridge which can get a bit congested after a game. Don't think theres much in it regarding preference but I'm inclined to think the University is still the best bet for ease of getting away.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
There is a mention in the planning application for the extra seats (and a planning condition attached to the approval) of an accessible minibus shuttle service for disabled supporters needing to get between this car park and the stadium - just like the one that the organisation I work for runs between the Sussex University car park and the stadium. As of now, though, there have been no discussions with me about how it might run. But it's early days.

The application documents state that it will be a golf buggy of some sort, there's a condition requiring full details to be provided and the service to be run for every game.

I was also told this earlier today; tbh I don't know the answer but the recently approved planning application states that there will be a shuttle bus service for disabled spectators between this car park and the stadium - ie as per the one that runs from UoS car park 5 currently. This is run by LB and his colleagues, it's is a very good service. I think the access (from Brighton and the west) will be via the same slip-road as is used for Stanmer Park and the UoS car parks.
I've sent an email to Sally Townsend (Cust Serv's Mgr) and will post or pm you her reply.

Beaten to it by THE man, serves me right trying to cook and post - another XY multi-task failure.

I'm with Mileoakman too - out of choice, I'd rather be in the UoS car parks; preferably C/P5 which minimises the walk to either the stadium or LB's minibus service.

The application documents state that it will be a golf buggy of some sort, there's a condition requiring full details to be provided and the service to be run for every game.
Derby County FC ran something like this when Pride Park first opened, but I understand from DCFC that it wasn't very successful.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
Ha ha! I can just imagine my missus on a golf buggy in the depths of winter! She's not massively impressed at suddenly becoming a football season ticket holder - I think that might just about be grounds for divorce :lol:

I'm, with Alex - I will add my few words to Sally in support of the club contacting LB for a hardier solution - failing that I suspect it will be a case of dropping her at Dick's and joining her after I've parked and reversing the procedure after the final whistle.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
I think it also depends where you park in the University as to what exit your asked to use when leaving. Normally I get there fairly early and I think Car Parks 3,4 & 5 use the same exit as they enter by, i.e. past the Stanmer Park entrance and then south towards Brighton. I think those that park in the other car parks at the University are directed to the North exit and therefore converge with the buses and BF traffic and thats what causes the problem.

I don't think so - I usually end up in Car Park 1 or 2 ie the ones nearer the north exits and I always head back down to the Stanmer Park exit. Works well although I wonder what time you have to arrive to get into Car Parks 3, 4 or 5 - must be seriously early!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Which is why IMO Bennett's Fiels should be made suitable for more P+R Busses, and possibly more coach Parking PLUS all the Disabled Parking.

I would move the (non blue badge holding) 1901ers over to the University of Sussex.

Good point. Move non-blue badge BF parkers to the Universities or to Falmer, will ease the stadium and Village Way log jams.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I don't think so - I usually end up in Car Park 1 or 2 ie the ones nearer the north exits and I always head back down to the Stanmer Park exit. Works well although I wonder what time you have to arrive to get into Car Parks 3, 4 or 5 - must be seriously early!

Similarly I usually end up at the top end of the university car parks but head to the north exits (I think they're probably more South btw) and almost always sail out straight away. The problems I've experienced are when people picking friends/family up end up parking on double yellow lines near to the first mini roundabout that heads to the eastward bound a27. There are usually a number of taxis parked illegally too. Stewards have been moving them on recently though so it's not been a problem.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away

Yes I do get there early, usually around 1:15 or so for a Saturday game. It suits me as I then have something to eat and drink at the ground and generally soak up the atmosphere. I think car park 3 is for disabled only but I expect to get in car park 4 nearly every game and have only been in 5 about twice. I still think the University will be the better option for getting away after the game than trying to be one of 650 squeezing out through the tunnel entrance. It will be interesting to see if I've made the right choice.

Incidently some on here have said they have had letters asking if they would like to renew their car park season. I haven't had mine yet but to anyone who has, does it ask you which car park you would prefer, i.e University or the new one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here