Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion parking price reduction

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
I'm refering to Village Way, which goes past the entrance to the stadium coach/bus park and Bennetts Field car park. After games as each bus and coach fills up they are let out into the traffic coming from the University of Brighton car park. Cars exiting BF are then let out by Stewards in small batches after each couple of busses into the traffic. The traffic from the UoB car park gets stopped only to let the buses out and the small number of cars they let out behind them. The parkers who use the UoB car park get significant priority over those leaving BF. It's frustrating as 99% of them are clearly using their access to UoB to park for the football, or for drop off/pick ups, I just think it would be fairer to allow the same numbers of cars from each parking area to leave in each batch.

The only official match day parking on the Brighton Uni campus is in the Copse car park which only has 35 spaces. This is from the recent planning application:

"Limited car parking is currently provided at the University of Brighton. Parking at this
location is limited to directors and VIP’s only and is pre-booked."

I'd guess that a lot of the traffic you see coming from the Brighton Uni is actually a mix of employees, students and users of the University and Health club. Is seems reasonable to me that they shouldn't be inconvenienced any more than necessary on match days.

People making pick-ups should be discouraged or even prevented from doing so IMO. Promoting an alternative drop-off/pick-up point might help.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I'd guess that a lot of the traffic you see coming from the Brighton Uni is actually a mix of employees, students and users of the University and Health club. Is seems reasonable to me that they shouldn't be inconvenienced any more than necessary on match days.

People making pick-ups should be discouraged or even prevented from doing so IMO. Promoting an alternative drop-off/pick-up point might help.

They could be encouraged to perhaps leave the gym/university workplace at times that don't coincide with a football match ending, after all, they are inconveniencing themselves by leaving at that time. And boy there are a lot of them who leave the gym/job at the university at 5pm on a Saturday, or 9.45 on a Tuesday, who'd have thought it?

Perhaps if they left at 4.45 or 9.30 then they wouldn't end up in a queue and the football car park would empty quicker too, thus reducing polution and waiting times all round for everyone, that would be a win-win situation.

As for pick ups and drop offs, I've made my point on this before, why do they do it? If you live close enough for a pick up/drop off to be viable/appropriate, then why not use the buses and trains to get home?

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
They could be encouraged to perhaps leave the gym/university workplace at times that don't coincide with a football match ending, after all, they are inconveniencing themselves by leaving at that time. And boy there are a lot of them who leave the gym/job at the university at 5pm on a Saturday, or 9.45 on a Tuesday, who'd have thought it?

If you can't beat them (and you can't, it seems) then why don't you join them?

We were members of David Lloyd in Bristol and it was VERY handy to 'need to visit the gym' when the Bristol Balloon Fiesta was on at neighbouring Ashton Court. Likewise, I notice a lot of people also 'need to visit the gym' when Bristol City are at home at Ashton Gate. You pay the money, you get the parking perk. It's not complicated.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate

Well yes, obviously as you previously stated there must be an element of fans who also happen to be gym members or have or know someone with a uni parking permit and take full advantage of this. Not a lot the club can do about these people I guess as it is a matter for the Uni/Gym to deal with. Difficult to distinguish between them and non-football users. I can see how it must be frustrating to feel that these people enjoy priority when leaving.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
How much does it cost to join the Gym anyway? If it's less than the cost of a parking space then it's probably worth considering joining.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
You pay the money, you get the parking perk. It's not complicated.

Perhaps if there was better management of the traffic coming out then I wouldn't have a beef with it, you go to football, you get queues, it's not unusual. If there are those who use their gym/university parking space for the footie, then so be it, but at least the traffic stewards could let out equal numbers of cars from each car park each time, after all, those in BF have also paid to be there. At the moment, each time the stewards hold up traffic after a bus has left, on average they let out twice the number of cars from the UoB car park compared to the BF car park. I have counted because I have been caught up in this a couple of times.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
At the moment, each time the stewards hold up traffic after a bus has left, on average they let out twice the number of cars from the UoB car park compared to the BF car park. I have counted because I have been caught up in this a couple of times.

You're probably lucky that the stewards have any ability to stop traffic coming from UoB/Virgin as, to all intents and purposes, they are traffic on a public road that happens to pass a football stadium.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
You're probably lucky that the stewards have any ability to stop traffic coming from UoB/Virgin as, to all intents and purposes, they are traffic on a public road that happens to pass a football stadium.

Well they stop the traffic to allow the buses and coaches out, one assumes they have the authority/ability to do that.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Difficult to distinguish between them and non-football users.

Not really, football fans taking advantage of the gym car-parking will be the only members of the gym who are getting fatter during the months of August to May.

Compulsory weigh-in for all members in August and if you're heavier and full of Piglets Pies come May you're a gym car-park abuser and you loose your membership. Simples.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well they stop the traffic to allow the buses and coaches out, one assumes they have the authority/ability to do that.

Why dont you switch to UoS?

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Bennett's Field is clearly rubbish. If I were there, I'd be doing all I could to get my space moved over the A27 to Sussex University.

On a Saturday, having seen every kick of the game as well as the referee's final whistle I was at Gatwick by 5:30. Most of those unfortunate enough to be lumbered with Bennett's Field would still be admiring the Amex out of their window at that time.

Which is why IMO Bennett's Fiels should be made suitable for more P+R Busses, and possibly more coach Parking PLUS all the Disabled Parking.

I would move the (non blue badge holding) 1901ers over to the University of Sussex.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Why dont you switch to UoS?

Which is why IMO Bennett's Fiels should be made suitable for more P+R Busses, and possibly more coach Parking PLUS all the Disabled Parking.

I would move the (non blue badge holding) 1901ers over to the University of Sussex.

I hadn't thought of moving, I had believed all the other parking spaces on UoS were taken, although recent reports suggest that is not the case, I shall ask if that is possible. It seems a shame that they can't simply deal with the situation as it is, after all, the BF parking will remain for the next 2 years at least, it would make sense to sort out a way to merge in the cars leaving BF and the UoB fairly.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
If they could work out which cars arrive early and leave late in the UoS car park they could speak to those drivers and see if they would agree to use BF at a reduction in cost.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
And what is fair?

I would have thought fairer would be say to let 20 (or 30 or 40 or whatever) cars out of Village Way, then some buses/coaches (if ready) from the coach park, then 20 (or 30 or 40 or whatever) cars out of BF, then repeat until the congestion is gone.

Last edited:

Let's Have A Winner!

Apr 23, 2006
Burgess Hill
It's not cheaper this year for us with four people in our car...last year we paid £360, next season it's £270 plus £30 each so £390 in total. Slightly strange way to encourage car sharing!

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away
It's not cheaper this year for us with four people in our car...last year we paid £360, next season it's £270 plus £30 each so £390 in total. Slightly strange way to encourage car sharing!

Interesting point that. Does anyone know if the 1901 members are having to pay more. At the moment its £91.20 per month and they have just taken the May subs as usual. No one has mentioned a price increase, (presumably £2.50 per month if we have to cough up £30).

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003

It's to encourage the use of public transport/sustainable transport, so they would probably still rather you use either P&R or trains/buses within the catchment area.

Interesting point that. Does anyone know if the 1901 members are having to pay more. At the moment its £91.20 per month and they have just taken the May subs as usual. No one has mentioned a price increase, (presumably £2.50 per month if we have to cough up £30).

I wouldn't think so, the 1901 package is different from the ST packages, in that parking was always a part of the deal, plus I thought the contract/agreement was worded as a 5 year deal, with a guarantee of no price changes during that time.

Let's Have A Winner!

Apr 23, 2006
Burgess Hill
It's to encourage the use of public transport/sustainable transport, so they would probably still rather you use either P&R or trains/buses within the catchment area.

I'm absolutely 100% certain that they would prefer that! I would be more than happy to use the P&R if they were to secure additional capacity north of the city but I don't want to take my chances on Mill Road having spaces left each match (and we used Mill Road for the entire Withdean stay without any problems). I guess my point is that there is only a reduction in University parking if you have less than three people sharing...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here