Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion 'fear' Norwich will return for Mackail-Smith

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
A big part of Andy Naylor's job is to get people to buy the paper and click through to the story on the website. Which, judging by the comments on here, is what he's achieved. So well done to him.

I thought it was a pretty fair article, to be honest. Quotes from Gus back up what he is trying to say..

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
If not Norwich ,then maybe someone else .Gus has always said,if a club meets our valuation of the player and he wants to go ,then we will not stand in his way. Its pretty smart as we can cash in on a players rising value,and no club has ever kept an unhappy player for long .

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Gus said that the fee he received for Noone allowed him to do more on deadline than he had originally planned. Obviously it is far too soon to say whether or not the various signings on deadline day represent good business but the principle is clear enough. If we are able to fetch a high enough fee then we shouldn't turn it down out of hand, as it may represent a chance to bring in other new blood.

It will doubtless depend on where we are in the table come January. I suspect what a lot of people on here do and that we could be in Bennett mode all over again.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I wouldn't be suprised to see Gus test the water with playing Dobbie up front with a loan striker to come in (Chris Wood?) to see if we could sell CMS without any massive detrimental impacts- I see Dobbie as a like for like replacement for CMS.

I see Dobbie as complimenting CMS and not an alternative to him. To see them both on the pitch together will be electrifying I think. Bringing in a Wood or such like will be a backward step imo - we lack a bit of aerial power but more than make up for it in what we now have in terms of pace and agility. Just a view!

Dec 29, 2011
---------Koooszszszack----------
--Bruno--Greer--AEA--Bridge--
----------Bridcutt----------
Buckley--Lopez Moreno--Orlandi
----Dobbie-------------------
----------------CMS----------

With a bench similar to:
Barnes
Vicente
Hammond
Crofts
Lua Lua
'keeper
Calderon

Making me wet.

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
Well if rumours were true last January window when reading were supposed to have offered 4m+ that would have been the time to cash in. But I see CMS being part of the team for a long time, no need to sell him at all, he will score goals, just a confidence player like most others. Long may his performances continue and push us into the premiership.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
I think the main issue is that they could probably treble his wages like they did with Benno.

Clubs talk to agents so CMS will be made aware of what he could earn if he went to them.

True, but there would in all likeliness be a relegation clause that shrinks the contract down again that might not make it so appealing compared to what we're paying him. He may also be able to renegotiate his contract with us to bump it up a bit if all is going well

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
---------Koooszszszack----------
--Bruno--Greer--AEA--Bridge--
----------Bridcutt----------
Buckley--Lopez Moreno--Orlandi
----Dobbie-------------------
----------------CMS----------

With a bench similar to:
Barnes
Vicente
Hammond
Crofts
Lua Lua
'keeper
Calderon

Making me wet.

Oppo will probably have some complaints about lining up v 12!

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
No they wouldn't. The transfer fee would be based on his valuation, it has nothing to do with paying off the remainder of his contact.

Of course it does...The whole valuation process of a player isn't just determined by the players form but by his attributes(ie position, age), the length of time left on their contract and of course their ability.

Stumpy Tim

If Norwich were to come in for him, and CMS wanted to go, I think he would go. This time next year CMS will be in the last year of his contract, and may not sign a new one if we denied him a shot in the Premiership

Saltydog

Aug 29, 2011
Ocean Wave
I really do not get it. We are a club on the up and have tightly controlled finances and from what I understand are not under any pressure to realise capital through the sale of our assetts. Okay in the past seasons where Delia's team were "cooking on gas" and on their ascendancy we were doing well in lower leagues so can understand loosing key players.

However now we have settled into our new home and have a whole new level of players that can enhance the skills of key players such as Craig and have a realistic chance of gaining or getting pretty close to the "p" word why do we need to sell?

If I was a player and had the chance of getting us there through my own sweat, blood and pride or through joining a team who are already playing in the promised land - my self respect would encourage me to persue the former method.

As of Norwich - if this interest was a bolt out of the blue and their initial approach was 11th hour then shame on them. They could have destroyey our season. This in my book makes their management selfish and without integrety. I have changed my feeling for them from one of quiet respect to disguest and now watch out for their results in the hope that they loose every time.....

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He's on a four year deal, I think.

I seem to remember him wanting to start a university course and chose Brighton as the Uni being in close proximity as one of the factors in him choosing us. It depends if East Anglia uni have the same course running so that he can transfer?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I'd pay no attention to Naylor's headlines.

It's clear that he has absolutely no idea what's going on at the club at the moment and so is creating news stories to try to sell papers.

However, do we "fear" a bid from Norwich? probably not...CMS is contracted with the club for a couple more years and do Norwich would not only have to pay what he's worth, but also pay off his contract.

Actual quotes from GP to Andy Naylor in the Argus today.

"It was very close. There was that tension all the time. Probably at six or seven we just decided we were not taking anything but we didn't get the call anyway then so we didn't have to make that decision...The problem is there is a value and its very difficult to say no, especially to players like Macca. They want to play at the highest level so the easiest way for me as manager and the players is to get promoted together. You need to let people have the chance to play in the PL so its very difficult if they (Norwich) make a very very good offer, to say no. I'm pleased that they didn't."

All The Argus has done is try represent GP's views on the CMS bid and given his recent form then of course then the fact that he was even close to leaving is a big story rightfully splashed on the back page. Its a good scoop to get GP to confirm the rumours on Thu/Fri. Naylor probably doesn't write the headlines either so "CMS Fears" wasn't necessarily written by him anyway. Again i'm always perplexed at the stick AN gets on NSC. As for trying to sell papers then of course he is. The Argus has no guaranteed future, given the bleak climate for local journalism. Who else is going going to fund 4-5 pages of photos/journalism/interviews/analysis/columns on the Albion every day ?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Actual quotes from GP to Andy Naylor in the Argus today.

"It was very close. There was that tension all the time. Probably at six or seven we just decided we were not taking anything but we didn't get the call anyway then so we didn't have to make that decision...The problem is there is a value and its very difficult to say no, especially to players like Macca. They want to play at the highest level so the easiest way for me as manager and the players is to get promoted together. You need to let people have the chance to play in the PL so its very difficult if they (Norwich) make a very very good offer, to say no. I'm pleased that they didn't."

All The Argus has done is try represent GP's views on the CMS bid and given his recent form then of course then the fact that he was even close to leaving is a big story rightfully splashed on the back page. Its a good scoop to get GP to confirm the rumours on Thu/Fri. Naylor probably doesn't write the headlines either so "CMS Fears" wasn't necessarily written by him anyway. Again i'm always perplexed at the stick AN gets on NSC. As for trying to sell papers then of course he is. The Argus has no guaranteed future, given the bleak climate for local journalism. Who else is going going to fund 4-5 pages of photos/journalism/interviews/analysis/columns on the Albion every day ?

Do you think Gus used the term "Macca"?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here